Flames 5 @ Oilers 4 - Orange is the New Blue, with a Frolik Hatty

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Could you imagine if Calgary had a goalie that had game stealing ability. Like if Schneider was in Calgary?

Also, really, really, really funny.

Edmonton: HYPE train, great start to the season!
Calgary: So bad, will be a bottom feeder, might be one of the worst out West.

Edmonton: 8 Points
Calgary: 7 Points

On a different note all together, even with this horrible start, Calgary's a FULL 4 points away from a playoff spot :laugh: string a couple wins together after this game and everyone forgets how the season started.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
K3dO6be.png

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
LOL at Hrudey pointing at Hughson's dig at Healy during the Pens/Leafs game :laugh: My god it was hilarious

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Flukey win aside, could we send Hiller and Ramo packing for a competent goalie please?

BrewHouse

Oct 22, 2013
I don't think it would be fair to say that Calgary "won" this game, but good lord it's good to see them get the two points.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
While the goaltending is horrible, the Flames (notably Wideman and Russell) need to clean up their own end a bit. Some of the chances against are of a really high quality and result from very bad defensive zone turnovers.

Of course, it would be nice to have a goaltender back there who can help the D erase a few mistakes or two once in a while, but they don't have that so they need to tighten up.

You're not going to win anything giving up 4, 5, 6 goals a game. I'm not sure what the solution is, but something is going to need to happen for this team to climb back into the playoff race and expect to stay there.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Why I'm happy:

1. Thank god we won a ****ing game
2. Fro got his first as a flame and a Hatty
3. We ended McDavids point streak ;)

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Wow, sounds like I missed a rollercoaster of a game! I caught the highlights on TSN and was scoreboard watching the whole night but I really wished I got to watch it.

Was our goaltending as bad as the score indicated? Or was it a combination of that and defensive lapses?

Something to consider: last season's crappy losing streak ended with a hat trick and we took off from there. And if not, hey we beat the Oilers and that's good enough for me.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
God, was this ugly and inglorious, but I'll take it. The team is still horrible, but maybe this win will give them some of the confidence they need not to suck? Also really pleased that they took 2 points from the Oilers, whose fans have been sounding off like they're suddenly better than the Flames. I hope they're all crying into their pillows right now.

By the way, let's be real. The Flames were a mediocre team last year that did some crucial things well. They gave away 2.27 PP opportunities per game when the league average was 3.06 and won 3.11. This year they're giving away 3.25 penalties per game when the league average is around 3.1. Unless they cool it with the truculence crap, they're going to ship in a ton of goals that they simply didn't put themselves in a position to concede last season. And this is not just a Bollig problem, though I think he's a liability. Giordano and Hamilton have been racking them up, which is understandable but not good, and so have Jooris and Stajan, which is more unfortunate. And Sam Bennett is immensely lucky not to have spent any minutes in the penalty box. I liked it when he stood up for Johnny against the Sens (I think)--that's the kind of situation in which I can appreciate a player who plays ~with an edge~--but I like it a lot less when he's playing dirty for no reason.

TL;DR: The team needs to be more disciplined because that's how they reached the playoffs last season and they're certainly not playing well enough to offset an above-average goon factor so far.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The refs screwed us out of a goal and Talbot gifted you guys 2. That said there were times when your team dominated and this win could very well get you guys on the right track. I hope that McLellan is on some of our players ***** after this "effort". Congrats on the win, at least it was exciting unlike in recent seasons.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
this gdt was more or less plotted out when the Oilers ran that terrible orange is the new blue advertisement in the preseason. I mean how terrible of an idea was it to use the song and theme of a tv show about a woman's prison :laugh:

I never watched that show but yeah that is pretty damn lame. Let's compare our team to a bunch of female inmates, wtf!?!?!?!

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Talbot was bad. Ramo didnt let anything soft in, but didnt really make any big/timely saves either. We seem to do a good job not covering the guy all alone in front of the net. The refs didnt screw anybody. Both teams got goals called back. Flames dominated first half but never seemed in control and found a way to lose momentum.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Talbot was bad. Ramo didnt let anything soft in, but didnt really make any big/timely saves either. We seem to do a good job not covering the guy all alone in front of the net. The refs didnt screw anybody. Both teams got goals called back. Flames dominated first half but never seemed in control and found a way to lose momentum.

I disagree, the goal that we had called back was ridiculous. The one that you had called back was a little more than borderline. If they keep calling back the type of goal that we had called back then the games will be very low scoring.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I never watched that show but yeah that is pretty damn lame. Let's compare our team to a bunch of female inmates, wtf!?!?!?!
I like the show but yeah it send the wrong message. either you are criminals, girls or both :laugh: I was hung up on that the entire night when I saw it. :laugh:

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
I disagree, the goal that we had called back was ridiculous. The one that you had called back was a little more than borderline. If they keep calling back the type of goal that we had called back then the games will be very low scoring.

I thought that at first but urge u to watch it again. Pouliot actually pushes/punches Ramo in the head at the time of the goal.

Edit: #55, not Pouliot

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Couldn't watch the games... but I did predict we would blow that 2 goal lead.... anywho Team accomplisments of the game.

First 2 goal lead of the season.
First blowing a two goal lead of the season.
First game where we lead through periods 1 and 2 (I think)
First game where we lead through periods 1 and 2 and 3.
First Hat trick of the season.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Oh man, just finished watching the game and this was the best Sunday morning in a while. Hopefully this is turning point for the season and a nice confidence boost for the team.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
All around happy with the result. No one on the Flames outright stunk and it felt like some key players on the Flames took small steps to better their game. A lot of calm moment of possession with decent passing from the D.

Definitely a game that they can use to build their confidence back with.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
What I really love about team sports and it extremely evident in hockey which is a high intensity and emotional game, is the true team aspect of it. A losing streak or a bad funk is never up to 1 or 2 players that are performing badly. Surely that is one element of it, but the biggest factor is the collective subconscious of the entire team. Each team has a collective confidence that slowly (sometimes quick) builds upwards or down. When you are in a funk, it takes small steps to collectively build the team confidence. Once you are on top, you ride that wave together and your opponents can feel it. Sure events big and small contribute to the the overall confidence but its never the fault of a single or even a series of bad plays. Wow getting so deep here on a Sunday morning :D

This win, if treated right, can be a solid step in building the confidence and game of the Flames back. What the Flames do next is key. Avalanche is a good opponent to go against. Few days off and then back to building on this win and we are on the right track. That said, this moment is key and a loss can easily take the team back to square 1.

Go Flames!!

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
He really is a good player, but don't expect this to keep up. He's more of a 40 pt winger. He's had four season between 42 and 45 points. You never know, he could have a breakout year.

He's definitely a player I wish we never let go.

I think that's what we're hoping for. We don't expect him to put up 60 pts or anything but we really needed another defensive player on the roster to increase possession numbers.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think that's what we're hoping for. We don't expect him to put up 60 pts or anything but we really needed another defensive player on the roster to increase possession numbers.

I think we needed a top 6 winger in general. Really he was the best of both worlds available on the market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad