2023-2024 EPL Season

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think there's some worrying to do. However, do we know if any other metrics are being done for balancing the books? Is there a 3 year loss sheet still?
Technically there's no actual system yet, this vote is just to move forward with formalizing a proposal that would then have to be voted on and accepted, so we don't know.

But a ton of commentary around this is that it would let clubs like Villa or Newcastle spend what they want (or feel they "have to") in order to be competitive like they want to and break into the true upper echelon which would seem to imply a lack of spending cap beyond the multiple of lowest team income.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
If the new rules would supposedly help Villa spend more, why would we vote against it?

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
If the new rules would supposedly help Villa spend more, why would we vote against it?

All details are not known yet, but say if the lowest team's income is 100M, they could spend 500M without any punishment. If the highest team's income would be 1000M, they could "only" spend the same 500M.

Also, if a non-PL club say PSG, Real, Barca or Bayern earn that same 1000M, they could spend much more than 500M if their local league rules allows that, so PL clubs would be at disadvantage e.g when it comes to paying top salaries for the best players.

Premier League spending cap rules explained: What might clubs be allowed to spend from the 2025/26 season?

But on the other hand, UEFA financial rules could mostly take care of that salary problem, although a hard spending cap is probably impossible to mandate at European level.

Reactions: JPBolts

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The more I ruminate on the calls this weekend, the more frustrated I get.

I would like to see VDV play Udogie's role out wide and slide Draugsin in at CB at some point.
I'm legitimately shocked Spurs fans are that upset about the refs. The only thing that is at all marginal is the penalty shout in the first half which would have been incredibly soft.

Like I get being upset Oliver didn't award the penalty initially at the end of the match but it was still given. The offside was obviously the right call. The "fouls" on Vicario are never given and Arsenal has been on the other end of calls like that many times. It's an established standard. The Havertz hands on the back is something that looks impressive in a photo, but the video is clearly not a foul. I guess maybe Partey touching Romero you can whine about, but that's pretty standard in the box and given that Romero couldn't get around the ball enough to put it back on goal, if anything, Partey helped him.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
My take on the White/Vicario is that on both goals he straddles the line but it's the fault of the Spurs defense for giving him the space to do his shitf***ery.

Spurs are a sieve on corners and a huge reason for that is that Vicario is weak pushing through a crowd, it goes faaaaar beyond this match (and is the main reason why he's not the best keeper in the league, even as I think he has a great case for being the best stopper). It makes no sense to me that they wouldn't proactively put a defender in the space that White wants to be in.

That said, I wouldn't mind if they tightened the rules surrounding GK interference on corners.

Reactions: luiginb

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
My take on the White/Vicario is that on both goals he straddles the line but it's the fault of the Spurs defense for giving him the space to do his shitf***ery.

Spurs are a sieve on corners and a huge reason for that is that Vicario is weak pushing through a crowd, it goes faaaaar beyond this match (and is the main reason why he's not the best keeper in the league, even as I think he has a great case for being the best stopper). It makes no sense to me that they wouldn't proactively put a defender in the space that White wants to be in.

That said, I wouldn't mind if they tightened the rules surrounding GK interference on corners.
I said at the time that I think the first one was fine since he just moved to a spot and then stood his ground whereas the second one should have been called because he actively backed up into the keeper.

That said, the PL has let teams get away with a ton on corners to the point that often the best strategy for corners is to just run a bunch of picks and hope you get away with all of them and it would likely be better for the game as a whole if they tightened things up (both offensively and defensively) to limit how much of a wrestling match corners are.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I said at the time that I think the first one was fine since he just moved to a spot and then stood his ground whereas the second one should have been called because he actively backed up into the keeper.

That said, the PL has let teams get away with a ton on corners to the point that often the best strategy for corners is to just run a bunch of picks and hope you get away with all of them and it would likely be better for the game as a whole if they tightened things up (both offensively and defensively) to limit how much of a wrestling match corners are.
Actively backed up is doing a lot of work for shielding that is seen and not penalized all across the pitch. I don't get why goalkeepers need to be coddled.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Vicario had the same issue in Serie A with crosses, but they call goalkeeper interference in the 6 yard box there

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Moving to shield the ball is one thing and it's fine. Moving to shield a player from a position when the ball is 20 yards away is totally different.
Except that White doesn't engage until the ball is in the air. Which happens all the time on long goalkicks, for instance. Shit, Harry Kane has made a career of doing it by elbowing people in the stomach and head and then undercutting them when they go to contest.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Except that White doesn't engage until the ball is in the air. Which happens all the time on long goalkicks, for instance. Shit, Harry Kane has made a career of doing it by elbowing people in the stomach and head and then undercutting them when they go to contest.
1.) I've criticized Kane for it multiple times.

2.) Again, it's totally different when it's a balling coming to you than it is when it's a ball to someone else and you're just trying to prevent a defender from making a play on it. If, on a goal kick, you had an attacker whose only job was to run in front of and block off a defender to prevent them from going to challenge for a ball that was directed to another player, it would get called as a foul very frequently.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
This conversation wouldn't have happened if Ange did the sensible thing, which was to put Romero on White and make sure he gets intimate with his ribs and kidneys.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
1.) I've criticized Kane for it multiple times.

2.) Again, it's totally different when it's a balling coming to you than it is when it's a ball to someone else and you're just trying to prevent a defender from making a play on it. If, on a goal kick, you had an attacker whose only job was to run in front of and block off a defender to prevent them from going to challenge for a ball that was directed to another player, it would get called as a foul very frequently.
But the ball is going into the area where Ben White is. Is it any different than shielding a player on a long ball and intentionally letting the ball go over you? Not at all.

And you've criticized Kane for the elbows and the undercutting, not the actual shielding. Yes, had White elbowed Vicario in the head, it would have been a different story.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Poor Ben White, just innocently trying to fight for position and get ready for the ball to come to him and getting accused of these things.

Cmon man. Everyone knows exactly what he's doing. His only job on corners is to screw with the keeper. Usually by getting in his way/bumping into him, sometimes by doing stuff like undoing his gloves.

Reactions: luiginb

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Poor Ben White, just innocently trying to fight for position and get ready for the ball to come to him and getting accused of these things.

Cmon man. Everyone knows exactly what he's doing. His only job on corners is to screw with the keeper. Usually by getting in his way/bumping into him, sometimes by doing stuff like undoing his gloves.
Oh don't get me wrong. I think he knows exactly what he's doing. Just like I think people know exactly what they're doing when they box out people on long balls just to let the ball run through. I just don't think that's a foul, nor do I think it should be.

The gloves thing is even sillier, but I won't get into that.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Great article about the issue of multi-club ownership and what it means for fans who suffer from it. Delves into Strasbourg, Troyes, etc. Didn't realize 9 clubs in Ligue 1 were part of a multi-club system. Bonkers.

Reactions: JPBolts

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

Poor Vicario, he can't grab a cross if his life depended on it, so let's blame Arsenal.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
All details are not known yet, but say if the lowest team's income is 100M, they could spend 500M without any punishment. If the highest team's income would be 1000M, they could "only" spend the same 500M.

Also, if a non-PL club say PSG, Real, Barca or Bayern earn that same 1000M, they could spend much more than 500M if their local league rules allows that, so PL clubs would be at disadvantage e.g when it comes to paying top salaries for the best players.

Premier League spending cap rules explained: What might clubs be allowed to spend from the 2025/26 season?

But on the other hand, UEFA financial rules could mostly take care of that salary problem, although a hard spending cap is probably impossible to mandate at European level.
I think the fact that we will also have to follow UEFA's financial percentage rules has played a role.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I'm legitimately shocked Spurs fans are that upset about the refs. The only thing that is at all marginal is the penalty shout in the first half which would have been incredibly soft.

Like I get being upset Oliver didn't award the penalty initially at the end of the match but it was still given. The offside was obviously the right call. The "fouls" on Vicario are never given and Arsenal has been on the other end of calls like that many times. It's an established standard. The Havertz hands on the back is something that looks impressive in a photo, but the video is clearly not a foul. I guess maybe Partey touching Romero you can whine about, but that's pretty standard in the box and given that Romero couldn't get around the ball enough to put it back on goal, if anything, Partey helped him.
Most of my frustration comes from Oliver refusing to call that penalty. He was right there. Imagine if VAR hadn't stepped in for once?

As for the corners I think the team needs to look inwards and improve instead of looking outwards and complaining.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
To be fair Raya has the same issue.
Rays leads the EPL in terms of percentage of crosses claimed.
Most of my frustration comes from Oliver refusing to call that penalty. He was right there. Imagine if VAR hadn't stepped in for once?

As for the corners I think the team needs to look inwards and improve instead of looking outwards and complaining.
So you’re upset about a hypothetical that didn’t happen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad