Speculation: Five Steps to a Successful Off-Season

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
There are so many on that list that I would list as inferior to Petro that it’s hard for me to see how I would even start.
There are plenty on that list who are not as good as Pietrangelo.
And by plenty you mean 95% of the list.

Seeing someone list guys like Alex Edler and f***in Damon Severson as apparently better than Pietrangelo is enough HF for today. Time to log out.
Not sure what's up with everyone's reading comprehension today, but I never said all of those players were better than Petro. OP said to name other consistent #1 Defensemen, which I did.

But w/e, feel free to root for giving Petro $10M and forcing the Blues to start breaking up the roster.

Reactions: Stlblue50

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Not sure what's up with everyone's reading comprehension today, but I never said all of those players were better than Petro. OP said to name other consistent #1 Defensemen, which I did.

But w/e, feel free to root for giving Petro $10M and forcing the Blues to start breaking up the roster.
It was asked that if Pietrangelo isn’t a consistent #1D then who is, you answering implied that those guys are more consistent than Pietrangelo.

As for what Pietrangelo will get, his pre-COVID ask was apparently less than the $9.05m that Josi got. So he’s not getting $9m, never mind $10m.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
It was asked that if Pietrangelo isn’t a consistent #1D then who is, you answering implied that those guys are more consistent than Pietrangelo.

As for what Pietrangelo will get, his pre-COVID ask was apparently less than the $9.05m that Josi got. So he’s not getting $9m, never mind $10m.
Yea, and look who OP was quoting when he said that, not me, if you read my other posts I repeatedly pointed out that Petro can be streaky but is still consistently good overall. I was simply listing other #1 D because reading the thread I was getting the impression that a lot of Blues fans were overvaluing Petro because they forgot there are other good Defensemen in the league.

As for the posts mocking the names I listed. I will leave this link showing the Norris votes for 2018-2019. Petro got exactly 0 but 22 other players did receive votes.
2018-19 NHL Awards Voting | Hockey-Reference.com

Last edited:

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
As for the posts mocking the names I listed. I will leave this link showing the Norris votes for 2018-2019. Petro got exactly 0 but 22 other players did receive votes.
2018-19 NHL Awards Voting | Hockey-Reference.com

I’m not sure what your point is here. That all those players on that list are better than Pietrangleo because they got at least one Norris vote for the 2018-19 season?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

I think most of that list is inferior both in play and consistency. There are only a few players that I would call true #1 defensemen on that list. There are also a lot of them who are very inconsistent by #1 D standards.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Pietrangelo has been a clear cut #1 defenseman for the better part of a decade and for most of that time he was one of the top 10 in the league. Not sure how much more consistent he would need to be.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I think most of that list is inferior both in play and consistency. There are only a few players that I would call true #1 defensemen on that list. There are also a lot of them who are very inconsistent by #1 D standards.
I agree with this, and to add to it, I would say that regardless of their level of "consistency", there are several names on there where their best stretch of games will still not be at the same level of Petro's worst stretch of games.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
That’s the way I’m looking at it and I’ve always been hard on Petro because I hold him to higher standards due to his ice time and salary.

If they would take him off the #1 PP unit then I would probably be all about re-signing him lol. It’s a tough spot with the cap not going up and a number of key players needing to be re-signed.

The loss of Jaybo (assuming he retires) is a huge one. I know he was taking it 1 year at a time before the incident but it felt like he had at least a couple more years of high quality play left in him. Dmen are harder to replace than a typical forward. For the Blues to lose 2 long time reliable veterans out of their top 4 would be tough for sure.

If they can find a way to get Petro resigned then I like our d core going forward. The Scandella trade/signing was a solid one. He feels like an upgraded Edmonson. I know Faulk has been a disaster but if he could get back to playing up to his potential then the Blues would be just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Slightly OT but related. Did anyone read the rankings on prospects on the Athletic? 2020 NHL organizational rankings: No. 20 St. Louis Blues

A bit depressing how bare our prospect list has become.
If they didn’t include Thomas as a prospect by this definition, I have a hard time thinking the Blues wouldn’t be pretty close to the bottom. There aren’t many guys you can point to outside the NHL who could help. Kostin? Probably a bottom 6 guy. Perunovich? Hopefully can be a PMD with a big mobile partner. But he’ll have to prove he can handle the physicality of the NHL. Mikkola? I think we’re hoping he can be a 3rd pairing guy on the cheap. I would argue Kyrou is already in NHL player, or borderline anyway. That’s pretty much it. Nothing to get excited about.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I think I did this analysis in a different thread, but if you look at the raw or per game numbers for AP since he broke into the league full time (2011 or whatever) he's consistently in the top 5-10 of almost every major offensive category, while being in the top 10 of SH ice time a game per D man, yet did all this while ranking like 30-something in PP ice time per game (I think I filtered on minimum 100 games or something). If you don't think AP has been a legit #1 D man for pretty much his entire career I don't know what to tell you. Think of what his offensive numbers would look like if he had gotten Shattenkirk's #1 PP minutes all these years too.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If they didn’t include Thomas as a prospect by this definition, I have a hard time thinking the Blues wouldn’t be pretty close to the bottom. There aren’t many guys you can point to outside the NHL who could help. Kostin? Probably a bottom 6 guy. Perunovich? Hopefully can be a PMD with a big mobile partner. But he’ll have to prove he can handle the physicality of the NHL. Mikkola? I think we’re hoping he can be a 3rd pairing guy on the cheap. I would argue Kyrou is already in NHL player, or borderline anyway. That’s pretty much it. Nothing to get excited about.
I haven’t looked at past lists but I’d wager that every Cup winner has been near the bottom. Not very concerning to me.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
We traded combined 4 1sts for Schenn and ROR. I suspect our prospect ranking would’ve much higher if we hadn’t made those trades. We also wouldn’t have Cup. So not at all depressing to me.
At least the 1st rounder that was Thompson wouldn't help our prospect pool too much, so 3 1sts and someone headed to bustville seems even less of a bad trade

Reactions: mk80

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
You can't win the Cup and be a contender on a regular basis, and also consistently have a deep prospect pool. It doesn't depress me at all that our prospect pool sucks because that's a side effect from having just won the Cup. Now if Pietrangelo walks, that would definitely depress me.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
You can't win the Cup and be a contender on a regular basis, and also consistently have a deep prospect pool. It doesn't depress me at all that our prospect pool sucks because that's a side effect from having just won the Cup. Now if Pietrangelo walks, that would definitely depress me.

I'm curious where Tampa ranks on said list - while they haven't won the cup, they've been in the mix for the cup since 2015 with CF or SCF appearances in 4 times since the 2014-15 season (4/6). Add in last year's abysmal 1st round performance and the 2016-17 playoff miss and that's still a damn consistent squad.

They've consistently been spending picks and prospects - but seem to have a steady influx of prospects and contributors developed inside the organization.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'm curious where Tampa ranks on said list - while they haven't won the cup, they've been in the mix for the cup since 2015 with CF or SCF appearances in 4 times since the 2014-15 season (4/6). Add in last year's abysmal 1st round performance and the 2016-17 playoff miss and that's still a damn consistent squad.

They've consistently been spending picks and prospects - but seem to have a steady influx of prospects and contributors developed inside the organization.
Tampa is 25. Others of note: Boston 23, Vegas 24, Sharks 28, Preds 29, Pens 30, Caps 31.

Reactions: Brockon

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Well it looks like the Florida Panthers are going to spare our prospect pool by leaving Bill Armstrong with us after he was listed as a candidate for their GM job.

Reactions: 67Blues

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad