Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Correction

giphy.gif
This is the correct answer.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
They took turns having sex with her while she was very inebriated. The alleged 5.

Before somebody claims I'm trying to justify anything, I'm not...

... But if she didn't report this immediately and have blood drawn this sounds like a good defense attorney's wet dream. Not saying they'll win or lose. But these are very, very difficult to prove and get a conviction on.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
My understanding. Publication bans do not include names of people charged. Only the day to day court details in the ongoing case. Once charged the names are public information.
Generally, in my experience, the way publication bans are worded, is that nothing can be published "that could identify the complainant". So it is a case-by-case basis as to whether the accused's name can be reported. For example, if the accused is a relative of the complainant, there would be concerns that naming the accused would reveal who the complainant is.

It would depend on the details of the case whether it is thought that identifying any of the accused in media could somehow reveal her identity (as far as I know, she's only ever been referred to as "E.M."). That said, it will be easy to figure out who they are, because the court dockets are still published and you can always check Home - Daily Court Lists to see who's up in any given courthouse on any given day (even if they have legal counsel appearing for them, the accused's name will still appear). One could simply check the lists for London court every day until he starts seeing recognizable NHL names. I wouldn't recommend reporting those names on here as that could run afoul of the publication ban, but private conversations are not "publication".

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Before somebody claims I'm trying to justify anything, I'm not...

... But if she didn't report this immediately and have blood drawn this sounds like a good defense attorney's wet dream. Not saying they'll win or lose. But these are very, very difficult to prove and get a conviction on.
She did. She literally went the next day. just go do your own research

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
When you’ve done enough to poke the bear, you better f***ing run
Bear is the one mod that if I get a penalty from I'd take it with pride. Nothing against any of the others, but Bear is quite funny when you know shit is going to go sideways.

While the speculation threads on legal matters are a nightmare for mods to maintain, I do enjoy their comments in them

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
All we're asking is that we need to keep specific player names out of the conversation unless and until it's official. We've been legal actioned for less.

It's not difficult. Most of you are smarter than me AND HAVE POINTED THAT OUT TO ME MANY TIMES VIA DIRECT MESSAGE to that effect (I laminate my favorites for my mod wall).

If I can connect the dots, you can too. Smile and keep it to yourself. Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong, maybe we don't get sued. Kapish?

(And no, I'm not going to argue with you over your opinion about this.)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
All we're asking is that we need to keep specific player names out of the conversation unless and until it's official. We've been legal actioned for less.

It's not difficult. Most of you are smarter than me AND HAVE POINTED THAT OUT TO ME MANY TIMES VIA DIRECT MESSAGE to that effect (I laminate my favorites for my mod wall).

If I can connect the dots, you can too. Smile and keep it to yourself. Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong, maybe we don't get sued. Kapish?

(And no, I'm not going to argue with you over your opinion about this.)
I mean.....

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
How long is it usually to trial after they have been formally charged?
Very difficult to say as each case has its own unique aspects. Depending on what mode of trial they elect (judge alone at Ontario Court of Justice, judge alone at Superior Court, judge and jury at Superior Court) could change the timeframe significantly.

Assuming they go for judge and jury at SCJ (the slowest option) we're probably looking at minimum 2 years before it gets to trial, and very easily could be a lot longer. I have a case in London Court next month where the accused was arrested in October of 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad