First Round Playoff Discussion: CBJ vs WSH.

CBJ or WSH?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Stop. Honestly, I know that there’s been “bad blood” between us in the past but the more you post, the more likable you get (and we’re both insomniacs). So...

2qw22qb.jpg
You miss 100% of the likes you don't make a post for. :nod:

As for the actual topic... not bothering to predict. It's a new opponent in the playoffs; I just want to sit back and see what happens and hopefully be entertained by it. :)

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
My biggest concern is that, despite all of the reasons for it, we did lose 3 of our last 4 games and our only win was OT against a weak Wings team. I do hope we have not lost our mojo. Not going to predict a result yet. Still thinking about how those last 4 games went down.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
These guys will be ready to go. There will be talk of taking that next step (winning a series). That will be the best motivator.

Of course things have to fall into place, like Bob being good Bob. Being able to roll 4 lines, meaning guys aren't in over their heads.

Special teams will have to be good. Don't give their PP too many chances.

Stay healthy.

I feel like Captain Obvious. :thumbu:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
All depends on Bob.
Period.
We found the one team , that Bob has worse numbers than he does vs Pitt.

Sergei Bobrovsky career vs. WSH in regular season: 7-10-4, 3.02 & .900. It’s among his worst individual numbers against a single team. #CBJ

Against Pitt

Yep. 11-7-5, 2.88 and .909 regular season, #CBJ

This series will determine Bobs future , with the Cbj. Piling up impressive stats against mediocre and average teams means nothing, Vezinas mean nothing . Winning in the playoffs are the only thing that matter . Personally I think as long as Bob plays pretty good , the jackets win in 6

Last edited:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Bob is one of my favorite Goalies to watch, I hope I get to watch him in a lot of games this post season. I think the boys push through and win in 7. Will this young team evolve? I know last nights game was crap... but it was good to see Andy get on the board - that should help his confidence that he is back. i worry about the injuries some of our guys are nursing going into the 2nd season, but everyone is hurting now after 82 games. Skate, focus, skate, put the pucks on net, skate, keep the crease clear for Bob Skate. Get Wenns Jenns and Vanek on the scoreboard and we should make this a series. I really like our defensive pairs (pray Nuti is back- pray Murr stays aggressive) if so I really like our D. No turnovers, be a leader, come back next year after earning an A.. Kick ass!!!!!!

Last edited:

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
The jackets created a very motivated opponent in Washington. They ducked the penguins. They effectively told Washington that we think you are an easier opponent than Pittsburgh is. Humpty Dumpty even though he is a crappy playoff coach has more than enough tools to help provide extra motivation for his team. Ovechkin and Backstrom are future Hall of Famers and very proud players and they will be insulted by what the blue jackets did.

What would you be saying this morning if Torts had iced everyone last night and someone like Panarin or Jones got hurt and put them out for the season? My guess is you'd the first one to complain.

This is so much bullshit that you are peddling here.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I see it as Caps in 6 but I like our lineup and chances better than last year.

Projected this year:
Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
Jenner-Wennberg-Vanek
Anderson-Foligno-Bjorkstrand
Calvert-Letestu-Dubinsky

Werenski-Jones
Cole-Savard
Nutivaara-Murray

Bob

Notable Scratches: Milano, Sedlak, Johnson

Last year (if memory serves):
Saad-Wennberg-Atkinson
Foligno-Dubinsky-Jenner
Anderson-Karlsson-Bjorkstrand?
Calvert-Gagner-Hartnell

Werenski (partial)-Jones
Savard-Johnson
Carlsson-Harrington/Quincy

Bob

Hurt: Sedlak, Murray, Werenski (partial)

Agree that we have to win special teams to have any shot at this thing. Prove me wrong Jackets!

Reactions: Sore Loser

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Didn't know where to post this, but Larry Brooks of the NY Post has Torts as a candidate to replace AV.

lol, that guy is one of the biggests hacks out there. That list has nothing on it but his top 10 fantasy pick, wasn't even worth the click.

To the playoffs, the fans seem to want a different team - now what to do with it. I'm not going to give a prediction, but I'm not overly hopeful with our team in 7 games series. Not yet at least. Trial by fire, at least we have more playoff experience than we did before the deadline.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
We found the one team , that Bob has worse numbers than he does vs Pitt.

Sergei Bobrovsky career vs. WSH in regular season: 7-10-4, 3.02 & .900. It’s among his worst individual numbers against a single team. #CBJ

Against Pitt

Yep. 11-7-5, 2.88 and .909 regular season, #CBJ

This series will determine Bobs future , with the Cbj. Piling up impressive stats against mediocre and average teams means nothing, Vezinas mean nothing . Winning in the playoffs are the only thing that matter . Personally I think as long as Bob plays pretty good , the jackets win in 6
All I know is bob had like an .860 or something in last years PO's. Hopefully he is better this year.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Last year the Caps (Ovie maybe) said they were targeting Werenski because they knew he was 1 of the key players. Think they'll do the same in the series? Now obviously if they get a chance they'll hit them but will it be their game plan? Kind of like us when they played the Pens. Try to break them down. Go after guys like Werenski, Jones, and Panarin? Wilson might do something stupid so let's hope he ends up costing them. Ovie might go for a big hit. If a scrum happens hopefully he goes to the box. Hopefully they're busy going for hits, rather than goals. And I guess we have players like Jenner and Anderson that could return the favor if need be. And hopefully Dubois could get under people's skin and draw penalties.

I think Bjorkstrand shows up and has a heck of a 1st round.
So Ovi screwed up Z's shoulder before last year's playoff and Orlov put quite the hip check on Anderson causing him to miss 17 games this year. Jackets need to keep their heads-up/on a swivel.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I see it as Caps in 6 but I like our lineup and chances better than last year.

Projected this year:
Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
Jenner-Wennberg-Vanek
Anderson-Foligno-Bjorkstrand
Calvert-Letestu-Dubinsky

Werenski-Jones
Cole-Savard
Nutivaara-Murray

Bob

Notable Scratches: Milano, Sedlak, Johnson

Last year (if memory serves):
Saad-Wennberg-Atkinson
Foligno-Dubinsky-Jenner
Anderson-Karlsson-Bjorkstrand?
Calvert-Gagner-Hartnell

Werenski (partial)-Jones
Savard-Johnson
Carlsson-Harrington/Quincy

Bob

Hurt: Sedlak, Murray, Werenski (partial)

Agree that we have to win special teams to have any shot at this thing. Prove me wrong Jackets!
Is Murray hurt? I thought he was just a healthy scratch last game?

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Feels odd there’s a two day break in-between G1 and G2.

(Yes I realize this happens every year in certain series)

Could be a nice extra rest.. or the longest two days ever if we get spanked the first game ;)

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Feels odd there’s a two day break in-between G1 and G2.

(Yes I realize this happens every year in certain series)

Could be a nice extra rest.. or the longest two days ever if we get spanked the first game ;)
Because game 2 could be at 3PM, if Boston wins division.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Bob needs to be Regular Season Bob and Cole, etc need to stay out of the box and it will be a close series that the Jackets can win. Either one of those don't happen and it could get ugly fast.
I must be honest that I have a different feeling about this playoff than previous years and it's most definitely not because of the opponent. It's because this is the best team that the Jackets have had to this point.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I guess my analysis of game #82 strategy didn't please many.:laugh:

For the series.

Offense: Washington has 3 offensive monsters. Ovechkin arguably is the greatest goal scorer in the history of the NHL (I don't buy it but it's an interesting POV). Backstrom is a fellow hall of famer to be. Kuznetsov is a beast. The Jackets have one offensive monster in Panarin. Cam has come on, but isn't to the level of the 4 mentioned. Depth scoring may be a bit better for the CBJ. Advantage Washington.

Goalies: CBJ gave up 230 goals vs. 239 for Washington. Bob is better than Holtby-in the regular season. Bob has mega playoff issues to overcome. Holtby has shone in the playoffs. Advantage Washington.

Defense: Jones is a very good up and coming young dman. Z appears to be injured/off his game for the last half of the season. The rest are in the competent category. Don't know much about the Caps D. Carlson led the league in dman scoring-I know that. Niskanan is a +24-8th in the league. Can't make a call on advantage/disadvantage on this one.

Special Teams: CBJ=93.4 (76.2PK+17.2PP)...Wash=102.8 (80.3PK+22.5PP). While the CBJ PP has been very good of late, the Caps have The Great 8. Nuff said. Huge Advantage Washington

Coaching: Torts has won a Cup. Humpty Dumpty is the King of the 1st or 2nd round crash. The pressure on Trotz is immense. All the pressure is on him. Advantage CBJ

Motivation: The Caps window is closing. It's getting close to now or never time for the Big 2. CBJ management is on record saying window is just opening. The CBJ unexpected late season surge to gain BTB playoff berths might be enough to satisfy the team and management. Advantage Washington

Home Ice: Obvious.

Caps in 5.

Last edited:

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I guess my analysis of game #82 strategy didn't please many.:laugh:

I don't buy it since everything had been decided except the opponent, so why risk something for nothing? But it is a popular point of view on the mains.

The problem with your analysis is that not for the first time, you presented it in a pretty nasty way.

Reactions: pete goegan

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Wonder who Goegan likes

Assuming it’s my opinion you seek, I read the Post and see many Caps games, so I know the team and don’t dislike them (Ovi is one of my all-time favorites), but I only go see them when they play the Jackets and my wife and I wear CBJ gear to those games. I live in DC now, but the Jackets will always be my hometown team!

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Battle of the playoff chokers.

Ovi and Bob(and apparently Panarin for some reason).

I think Panarin is about to put Columbus on the map. If he and the rest of the of the guys the team relies on(Dubois, Jones, Atkinson) can at least keep generating opportunities and generating offense we'll have a chance. And Panarin could really start to cement his legacy in the NHL if he can help lead/guide this team into a deep playoff run.

If Bob can simply post his regular season numbers and the jackets can play like they have the last month or so then this should be a really good, hard fought series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad