First overall pick

thorman

Jun 6, 2016
If the Canucks somehow end up picking between 3-5 is there any chance they try to move up and grab Nolan or Hischier?

If they gave up their pick who else would they have to throw in?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
It would probably cost us Tanev plus 2017 first. Definitely not worth it in a year where the top end is so underwhelming. We need a 1C, not a 2C as Nolan is projected.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Unless a team would take Sutter and Gudbranson as the throw ins, I am not sure I would be willing to throw in a prospect.

Most teams would Probably as for 1st+Boeser at which point IMO Boeser+Vilardi/Petterson/Mittlestadt might be better for our team in the long run.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The only pick could possibly be in play would be Arizona's according to Bob McKenzie

They have SOO many center prospects who project to be top 6.

They could very possibly trade down.

If they get 1 or 2 you are going to hear COUNTLESS rumors leading up to the draft.

Keller
Strome
Dvorak
Fischer

Keller and strome both project to be first line centers.
Dvorak and Fischer both project to be 2nd line centers

add in domi and perili on left wing. they are set for the future in the top 6.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The only pick could possibly be in play would be Arizona's according to Bob McKenzie

They have SOO many center prospects who project to be top 6.

They could very possibly trade down.

If they get 1 or 2 you are going to hear COUNTLESS rumors leading up to the draft.

True, but you would think that it's ok to have a problem with having tons of amazing centre prospects—can trade from a position of strength when you see which ones are panning out well.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
It would probably cost us Tanev plus 2017 first. Definitely not worth it in a year where the top end is so underwhelming. We need a 1C, not a 2C as Nolan is projected.

Yeah I would see that as probably the minimum we would need to offer given the clear demarcation between Patrick/Hischier and the next 6-7.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

maybe in a different year but not this year. Draft isn't that good at the top that the players have that kind of separation.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
I'd definitely consider it - top 2 is much more surefire to produce an NHL 1st liner IMO, whereas the chances drop off considerably after that and probability of selecting a bust increases.

I think I'd be ok doing our 1st + Hutton.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I posed a similar question a few weeks back..... If we end up drafting anywhere from 3-5 would you package that up with Virtanen for first overall?

More likely if that if the Canucks end up at 5-7 in the draft they'd make a trade and move back in the draft rather than up....they just don't have the prospect cupboard to move up.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
You rarely see trade ups (at least to 1st overall) in the NHL because plain and simple it just isn't worth it. You can repeat that for the NBA too. NFL is a different story due to QB and their value for the franchise.

Also this draft, based on most scouting reports, isn't one with a "can't miss" prospect/McDavid/Crosby/etc. Of course if it was, the cost would also reflect that (and probability of a trade would basically be 0).

Plus i really don't see that big of a drop from say Patrick/Hischier to say Vilardi who realistically is like another Horvat (skating issues but plus smarts/skill/size). Or say someone like Pettersson just because we generally have the most success with Swedes... :laugh:

Although given Benning's success/fail rate, my guess is he goes with Mittelstadt if we draft outside the top 3 just because he's probably the top NCAA prospect out of the bunch and i believe already committed to U of Minn. We seem to have decent NCAA success recently and Benning's most successful picks are either NCAA or KHL prospects (at least thus far).

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
If you are referring to what Colorado wants should they wish to trade their 1st overall to us, once they obtained it, I'd say we pass on it.

Patrick's recent struggles, the overall lower draft quality, plus Colorado's likely asking price on the moon, combination of factors makes a trade for 1st overall a less worthwhile investment.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't think any team has traded down from the #1 spot since the 2002 Draft.

I think this draft might be a draft where you actually see it happen. Especially if say Las Vegas gets the number 2. I mean the Canucks would want to pick 1st overall for PR reasons but to pick up an extra 3rd and still pick the player you want? Might be too tempting. :popcorn:

You rarely see trade ups (at least to 1st overall) in the NHL because plain and simple it just isn't worth it.

Well that's a bit simplistic. I can say the same thing and say you rarely see trade downs from 1st overall because plain and simple it just isn't worth it. I mean there's not much you can offer a team if you're in the position to draft a McDavid or Matthews. If Winnipeg offered Scheifele and Laine they might have gotten Matthews but that's "not worth it."

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I think this draft might be a draft where you actually see it happen. Especially if say Las Vegas gets the number 2. I mean the Canucks would want to pick 1st overall for PR reasons but to pick up an extra 3rd and still pick the player you want? Might be too tempting. :popcorn:

Well that's a bit simplistic. I can say the same thing and say you rarely see trade downs from 1st overall because plain and simple it just isn't worth it. I mean there's not much you can offer a team if you're in the position to draft a McDavid or Matthews. If Winnipeg offered Scheifele and Laine they might have gotten Matthews but that's "not worth it."

Like i said the cost will reflect that if there is a McDavid @ the top... i don't consider Matthews in the same category and even the build-up to the draft, there wasn't a huge split between Matthews and Laine or even Puljujarvi at one point. This year there's really 2 players in Patrick/Hischier but if you were to put them in last year's draft, they might have dropped out of the top 5 (tho replace Juolevi with Tkachuk). There really isn't a huge drop off after those 2 favorites for #1 either.

Pettersson is probably a better story... we could run the Swe connection with him/Sedins if we get him @ like the 8th pick or trade down a bit and draft him (if a team wants to move up). :laugh:

Also we all know Vegas is winning the draft lottery... it makes a perfect conspiracy theory about the NHL draft lottery (just like PHX was suppose to get Matthews...). :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad