Rumor: First Myers Rumor that I haven't hated.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Caveat: I'm not in the 'trade Myers' camp. I tend to think he's just entering his prime and could be a major piece of the core. I also tend to think that 25 min/gm D men don't grow on trees. I also think that having Myers around allows Risto/Zads to grow into their roles better.

However, I don't totally hate this rumor.

http://broadstreetbuzz.com/2014/12/10/flyers-trade-rumor-sean-couturier-tyler-myers/

I don't know exactly why, but I've always really like Vinny. He just seems like a really great character to have on a team. Good (obv no longer great) player, and possibly a good vet for a rebuilding team. His failures in Philly are more a case of not meeting expectations, but in Buffalo, his role would be more obvious. Cap filler, and veteran teacher.

I think the Flyers would have to add, but I don't know, how good is Couturier really?
To Phi: Myers
To Buf: Couturier, Lecaviler, + IDK, B+ prospect? (Haag, Stolarz, Cousins)

I'm not putting this on the trade proposal board because I really only want Sabres feedback. I don't need 50 TB/Tor/Mon fans clamoring to tell me how terrible Myers is.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think that's a good trade.

Going forward it'll give the Sabres a selke caliber forward who should be able to get you 50 points

Gives the flyers a top pairing guy

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I don't like it.

I'd rather solidify a GREAT D-corps than add a player like Couturier, that Reinhart can already be with more offensive production. Vinny means zero to me...not much more than a cap dump, and he has to get paid for three more years.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
What is this FlyersNation account that had the original tweet? Is it just some guy in his basement? This blog wants to give it credit, but why?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
What is this FlyersNation account that had the original tweet? Is it just some guy in his basement? This blog wants to give it credit, but why?

That's a good question. I don't know, and I'm at work, so I won't investigate.

Again, I'm not necessarily giving credit to this rumor, nor am I explicitly endorsing the idea. But I don't absolutely hate it. Which is unique for a Myers rumor.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
That's a good question. I don't know, and I'm at work, so I won't investigate.

Again, I'm not necessarily giving credit to this rumor, nor am I explicitly endorsing the idea. But I don't absolutely hate it. Which is unique for a Myers rumor.

It's a super interesting idea. I think I would do. I threw it up on the trade board, so avoid if you must. I enjoy seeing outside perspectives.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Nope, I don't see Couturier toping out at more then a low end #1C or good #2. It's reasonable to say Myers is already a top pairing D man. Throw in Vinny's horrible contract and it's not a deal in would make.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
We are no longer in a place where we desperately need to add a Couturier with Girgs/Reinhart already in our stable as well as lower end defensive/two way centers like Larsson/Compher/Schaller.

IMO trading Myers for Couturier would be a desperation move on our part.

Even the linked rumor article says this trade makes no sense from a Buffalo pov.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Well, a simple Twitter search reveals the true source of this "report". It's bogus.

Broad Street Buzz ‏@BroadStreetBuzz 2 hours ago
***RUMOR ALERT*** Sean Couturier Out, Tyler Myers In http://broadstreetbuzz.com/2014/12/10/flyers-trade-rumor-sean-couturier-tyler-myers/
Philly Sports Live ‏@PhillySportLive 14 hours ago
There is a report out that Flyers in trade talks to add defenseman. Possibility of C Sean Couturier to Sabres for D Tyler Myers #Flyers"
NHL Trade Rumors ‏@NHLTradeRumors Dec 6
Look for the Philadelphia Flyers to make a trade with the Buffalo Sabres - Sean Couturier for Tyler Myers
http://www.hockey-trades.com/2014/12/nhl-trade-rumors-sean-couturier-for.html
FlyersNation (7-9-2) ‏@PHLFlyersNation Dec 6
REPORT: #Flyers in trade talks to add defenseman. Possibility of C Sean Couturier to Sabres for D Tyler Myers.
Ok, so where's this report you bloggers keep mentioning?

******* ******** ‏@*************** Dec 2
#Flyers are in talks with several teams for help on defense. Including #Sabres and Myers. Couturier could be involved. More to come.
Oh, now it all makes sense now why you'd leave that out or not include a recognizable media member. Run-of-the-mill rumor clickbait generated from an asterisked insider. :shakehead

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
We are no longer in a place where we desperately need to add a Couturier with Girgs/Reinhart already in our stable as well as lower end defensive/two way centers like Larsson/Compher/Schaller.

IMO trading Myers for Couturier would be a desperation move on our part.

Even the linked rumor article says this trade makes no sense from a Buffalo pov.

I was about to type pretty much this. Couturier is the right age, though. Has the NHL experience... I certainly wouldn't hate the deal (except for Lecavalier).

I'd prefer to hold onto Myers though (for now).

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Among the top 30 ES TOI Defensemen, Myers has the 4th highest QOC and the 12th best GA Per 60

Among the top 60 ES TOI Defensemen, Myers has the 8th highest QOC and the 20th best GA per 60

I just can't imagine trading that player right now...

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Among the top 30 ES TOI Defensemen, Myers has the 4th highest QOC and the 12th best GA Per 60

Among the top 60 ES TOI Defensemen, Myers has the 8th highest QOC and the 20th best GA per 60

Yeah, that's where I'm at too. But if Murray were to trade Myers for Larkin + Kindl + pick, I'd puke. This doesn't make me ill.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Yeah, that's where I'm at too. But if Murray were to trade Myers for Larkin + Kindl + pick, I'd puke. This doesn't make me ill.

I've watched a few Michigan games to get a look at Compher. Larkin has no. 1 center potential. He is a WAY better prospect than people give him credit for.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I don't like it.

I'd rather solidify a GREAT D-corps than add a player like Couturier, that Reinhart can already be with more offensive production. Vinny means zero to me...not much more than a cap dump, and he has to get paid for three more years.

This. Plus I feel that we're at a point where we have so many promising prospects that I'm just not interested in any "quality for quantity"-type deals unless we're the once providing quantity.

LaFontaineToMogilny

Jul 16, 2013
A decent enough value proposition I guess, but I am of the mindset that Myers is much more valuable to the Sabres than what his 'real value' is and I don't like the idea of moving him for anything short of a massive offer. The kind of offer you just can't turn down. One where Lecavalier gets replaced with Voracek. The kind of offer where people would call me delusional and I'd say, fine then, I'm good with holding on to Myers for a while.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville

I would say he's even more valuable on the PK as well.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Not interested. Couturier is offensively inept at the NHL level.

Unless they add in more intriguing pieces.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Noooooope. Very few pieces I would trade Myers for right now.

I guess I'd consider a deal STARTING around Myers and Couterier, but they'd have to add to it. But between NMC/NTC, etc, I just can't see Philly being able to pull off that big of a deal.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

At what point do people acknowledge that with the support Myers has on this team and the minutes he is taking on, that he is vital piece of the franchise?

Trading him is a short term and long term negative in almost all realistic deals.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

But the GA per 60 are unsustainable, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad