#FIRECHIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
the reason you can't compare the seasons is because one team made the playoff during that span, while the other didn't
one team had a successful playoff run during that span while other had none whatsoever

B'gawd the expectations must be rock bottom when a single playoff round win is considered "a successful playoff run."
but he didn't trade them cause he values centers more than wingers
this team has center depth most teams dream of

Same goes for this "he didn't flush ALL his talent down the crapper, what a visionary!"

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You're right. The success they had wasn't primarily due to luck and health. It was a carryjob from Connor McDavid (who literally everyone who paid attention to hockey would've drafted), Leon Draisaitl (Craig MacTavish acquisition), Oscar Klefbom (Steve Tambellini acquisition), and Cam Talbot (donation from Glen Sather, who probably would've given us even more of a discount if it was MacT he was negotiating with). None of those 4 had even close to the kind of impact they did in 16-17 the previous year, heck McDaddy and Oscar didn't even play half the season. That was the key to our playoffs.
so no credit to Chiarelli last year because everyone you mentioned is from someone else...

so I guess its MacT, Tambo and Glen Sather's fault we suck this year?
cause all those players you mentioned are still on this team.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Not sure why you're trying so hard to rationalize Chiarelli's **** performance with Snow's abysmal record. Both are horrible. However, one trades players pennies on the dollar and the other takes advantage of it.

It's almost as if you think Chiarelli is absolved because there are equally as horrible GMs as him.
Snow takes advantage of it but his team is worse with all the "gifts" given to Snow
it takes more to GMing then "collecting all the talent"

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You're right. The success they had wasn't primarily due to luck and health. It was a carryjob from Connor McDavid (who literally everyone who paid attention to hockey would've drafted), Leon Draisaitl (Craig MacTavish acquisition), Oscar Klefbom (Steve Tambellini acquisition), and Cam Talbot (donation from Glen Sather, who probably would've given us even more of a discount if it was MacT he was negotiating with). None of those 4 had even close to the kind of impact they did in 16-17 the previous year, heck McDaddy and Oscar didn't even play half the season. That was the key to our playoffs.
If we're going to talk about McDavid carryjobs, then that will never stop. He carries his team like any superstar does. Hockey is a team sport. No one can truly carry a team. Not even generational talents. We got into the playoffs because of the great moves he made: adding Sekera, Maroon, Talbot, and Russell. And yes, Lucic helped too, even if that was a bad contract from day 1. And yes, without the Larsson trade we don't make the playoffs either.

Also, it is ridiculous to think that Sather gifted us Talbot. I don't care what he said. I remember that day. Sather was looking to get a 1st round pick from someone during the draft but no one was biting. Our offer was the best offer, end of story. If Sather wanted to gift us Talbot, he would have done it before the draft, not during it.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I don't think Larsson is "pennies"
even the cap dump of Eberle could have been justified had they used the freed cap space

but the Tambo/MacT method of collecting talent and doing nothing proved worthless

You're grossly misrepresenting what happened in that era. Tambo/MacT didn't sit back and do nothing; they made plenty of moves. Tambo: traded away Penner, Gilbert, Cogliano, Brodziak and others for nothing returns; MacT dealt Petry and Dubnyk and signed some of the terrible contracts (Nikitin) that dogged the team when Chia came on board. it wasn't that they collected talent through the draft and just sat back: they tried to build a team around them, they simply failed to do so.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Everyone with a brain penciled the Oilers into the cup final.

"every Oiler having a career year" is a gross exageration at best. And the success they did have wasn't primarily luck and health.

We've seen Hall, McDavid, Ebs +... and they sucked. Pretending everything would be better with little to no proof is epic delusional. Without the changes made it is historically false and statistically unlikely to expect anything good in your alternate reality.

Safe to say at the very lest that things went well last year and bad this. But suggesting more is nothing but your imagination.
That just isn't true at all. Anyone who didn't get caught up in the hype could see that this roster was garbage. To expect them to make the cup final with Drake Caggiula as the #1 RW was just stupid. What a surprise that the bloggers were right and the local MSM was wrong. Seems to be a recurring theme. Maybe 200 hockey men aren't so bright after all.

It's not an exaggeration. Did you really expect Maroon to score 27 goals again? Or that Klefbom would be top 3 in ES goals for a dman? Or that Talbot would play 86 games of Vezina-worthy hockey? And to say that injury luck wasn't a huge factor in the success this team had last year is ridiculous. The top 6 missed 1 game total, Our three best dmen missed 5 games, and Talbot played 73 regular season games last year, most in the league. How many teams lost less than 10 games from their key players due to injuries?

Yeah, having one of the best ES players in the game and a 25 goal scorer definitely wouldn't have helped. Our #1 LW is Milan "1 primary point in 35 games" Lucic and our #1 RW spot is a revolving door of career AHLers. Take out McDavid and this forward group is dead last by a long shot for GF.

This roster will miss the playoffs again next year barring significant changes. If McDavid misses any time due to injury then they probably finish 31st too.

Reactions: Trafalgar Sadge Law

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
even the cap dump of Eberle could have been justified had they used the freed cap space

but the Tambo/MacT method of collecting talent and doing nothing proved worthless
And then the plan was to trade from depth to help a weakness. See Nashville as an example. Chia changed the plan.

Instead we flushed a decades worth of assets away and still have a bad d core just a worse cap situation then before.

If someone would have made a trade thread pre Chia offering Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz, 2015 1st, 2015 2nd for Larsson, Strome and a couple 3rd/4th rounders everyone would have been trolling that thread. Instead that's actually what happened.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I brought something similar up in less artful terms a page ago to crickets from the PCFC. It seems there isn't an official Rexall brand Tier 1 Fan Talking Point (TM) for this little stat yet...

Still crickets on this... and now we're arguing about the definition of a "run" as though that is the difference between Peter Chiarelli being a bad GM or not.

Is it just me, or is the PCFC flagging a bit?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hall + RNH + Yakupov + Eberle + Schultz as a core was never that "talented" to be honest.

RNH and Yakupov are not real no.1 overalls, that was just bad luck on the Oilers part to get two of the worst no.1 overalls in 2 decades. If RNH + Yakupov are Tavares + Stamkos ... then yeah, sure you have an argument there, but they weren't close.

Oilers haven't had a "real" talented team since probably the 80s/90s. 2006 squad was close though, three legit dangerous lines plus Pronger.

Since then Oilers have been nothing but a one line team with middling d-corps and that continues today. Chiarelli has not built anything differently. If McDavid's line does not have a good game it's pretty much a guaranteed loss. The Oilers record this season in games where McDavid does not record a point this year is close to matching the win percentage of the 74-75 Capitals (worst team in NHL history).

Last edited:

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Snow takes advantage of it but his team is worse with all the "gifts" given to Snow
it takes more to GMing then "collecting all the talent"

Snow is generally considered a poor GM, probably bottom five in the NHL. He is on the hot seat and may be fired at the end of the season.
Yet, he has fleeced Chiarelli twice in trades. Without those trades the NYI are fighting for Dahlen, as of now they are in the fight for a playoff spot.
Not sure how losing trades to a bad GM can in any way be considered an endorsement. It means that your GM is worse than a bad GM, congrats.

Larsson is a solid defenseman who has value. If you think he value is anywhere near Hall's, you are wrong. Ask NJ fans what you would have to add to Larsson to get Hall back. (Hint: it will be a lot)
Cap space is important if used correctly. The cap space we did use up was to overpay player contracts (Russell & Draisaitl - the overpay of these two players will basically cover the Eberle/Strome cap dump) which will hurt next year. The rest was left vacant. Not very effective cap management as you basically answered yourself.
Tambo/MacT did not have McDavid. Take McDavid out of the roster and tell me which team is better.

Any team with McDavid on their roster should be in the playoff hunt. It took many factors including poor goaltending, bad special teams and some key injuries to prevent this. This issue with Chiarelli is not that he's taken this team out of the playoff hunt this year, cause next year the Oilers should be right back in it. It's that he has squandered the opportunity to turn the Oilers into an perennial elite team through poor trades, poor UFA signings and poor cap management.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Larsson is a solid defenseman who has value. If you think he value is anywhere near Hall's, you are wrong. Ask NJ fans what you would have to add to Larsson to get Hall back. (Hint: it will be a lot)
Cap space is important if used correctly. The cap space we did use up was to overpay player contracts (Russell, Draisaitl) which will hurt next year. The rest was left vacant. Not very effective cap management as you basically answered yourself.
Tambo/MacT did not have McDavid. Take McDavid out of the roster and tell me which team is better.

Any team with McDavid on their roster should be in the playoff hunt. It took many factors including poor goaltending, bad special teams and some key injuries to prevent this. This issue with Chiarelli is not that he's taken this team out of the playoff hunt this year, cause next year the Oilers should be right back in it. It's that he has squandered the opportunity to turn the Oilers into an perennial elite team through poor trades, poor UFA signings and poor cap management.
Of course NJ wouldn't trade Hall for NJ. They are winning games, and they replaced Larsson's spot with Vatanen. At this time last year, the answer would have been very different. Next season it could swing back the other way. In the end, Larsson is a top end shut down D so even if we lost value there, at the very least he is an important part of the core, and nowhere near the truly horrible trades out there, like Gomez for McDonagh, or even the Reinhart trade Chia did.

As for that last bit, of course any team with McDavid is NOT guaranteed anything, and even a few nagging problems can sink the team. Funny how Tampa had a couple key injuries last season and missed the playoffs, and now they are one of the very best. But by your logic, that is an epic fail because any team with Kucherov and Hedman playing full seasons should be making the playoffs. A few injuries should have not been any excuse.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why are we even still sticking with this guy?

Slow, physical is not going to win in the new NHL, and what does Chia know about building a fast, skilled team? Nothing. He's never done that before.

It logically makes no sense, this is like saying you're changing to an Indian restaurant but you're keeping your Italian chef.

But this franchise is stupid so they will of course predictably do this and waste several more years of McDavid's career until they figure out "gee, this philosophy isn't working".

Reactions: Consultant

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Classic Chia, allowing the oilers to throw away a fourth rounder for a fifth rounder for absolutely no reason. It’s like his motto is: “draft picks are worthless”. Would help explain all his trades...

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Perhaps you should look up the words, "exactly" and "you". ;)
Good grief. I was talking about the number of times the Chiarelli fan club claims he was 'forced' into doing things against his wishes. I offered a short list, by no means complete, of disastrous moves for which you and others hold him blameless. And sure enough, right on cue, there you were stating verbatim that MacT was 'forced onto (Chiarelli)'. Its not a strawman in any way. I apologize if you were unable to follow my poorly written English. I hope its now clear, and thanks to @Trafalgar McLaw who saw what I was trying to say.

Its of no concern to me whether you personally blame Chiarelli for every bad move of his tenure. The fact that you excuse any of them is the problem. The man is supposed to be the GM. Either he's taking responsibility for the way the team operates and performs, or he isn't. If he isn't, well then, we have a puppet and some of your excuses may be valid. If he is taking responsibility, and I believe and hope most fans rightly hold him responsible, then we have a very poor GM on our hands and excusing any of his blunders is only setting us all up for more disasters down the line. Say bye bye to RNH or maybe even Draisaitl. Wait for another overpay on $ and term in FA this summer. Watch our prospects continue to get mishandled by the coach he picked (he is responsible for that in your world, right?) and continues to employ. Enjoy the cap topped out mediocrity. Personally I was hoping for better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad