#FIRECHIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
point being things change in a year and perception is different when a team is winning

That's why it's better to have an objective analysis, now that we have a good amount of time from the trade, we can see how bad of a trade it was.

It was a dumb trade to begin with. If that's the "magic" Chiarelli was hired to do, why not just force Mac T to trade Hall for a no.3 D at gun point? Same result.

A GOOD GM should've come here and been able in the course of almost 12 months+ on the job been able to find a better option for "upgrading" (using that term lightly since they still suck) the D than this.

If your operating standard is simply to massively overpay, what exactly are you here for? We could have this same result with Mactavish if you forced him at gun point with a similar mandate. Where are these magical "GM skills" that Chiarelli was supposed to be bringing to us?

Last edited:

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Those Oilers fans had no idea what they were talking about. Even last season I was bashing the trade and saying "at least Adam Larsson is playing well though". Now Larsson isn't even playing well, regardless of circumstances.
the point is if you polled those same Oiler fans today, 95% of Oilers would say "Taylor Hall"

moral of the story...Oilers fans don't know what they're talking about

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
the point is if you polled those same Oiler fans today, 95% of Oilers would say "Taylor Hall"

Moral of the story is it's a terrible trade and Chia is a bad GM and some Oiler fans got a little drunk off one good season in 11 seasons and got way ahead of themselves.

What's the point of hiring Chia if that was basically going to be (along with signing Lolcic) his signature change to the team? Mac T could've made the same stupid trade if Nicholson forced him to.

This required no special skill or vision or insight, just the willingness to get ripped off after failing to do anything for 14 months.

Last edited:

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

The majority Oilers fans not knowing what they're talking about doesn't change the fact that it was a terrible trade from the getgo. Peter Chiarelli absolutely does not get the benefit of the doubt given how he dropped the ball on Seguin and Wheeler already.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The majority Oilers fans not knowing what they're talking about doesn't change the fact that it was a terrible trade from the getgo. Peter Chiarelli absolutely does not get the benefit of the doubt given how he dropped the ball on Seguin and Wheeler already.

He fluked out on the Kessel thing too ... the Leafs pick should not have been that high. Of course he pissed away Seguin too anyway.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Lets thank Chia for
a) Milan Lucic (McDavid too but Boston connection)
b) Reinhart isntead of Dougie Hamilton/Barzal
c) Larsson instead of Hall

Yay

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lets thank Chia for
a) Milan Lucic (McDavid too but Boston connection)
b) Reinhart isntead of Dougie Hamilton/Barzal
c) Larsson instead of Hall

Yay

If we knew the disaster that was coming honestly he would've been better off bending over and getting fleeced by Boston.

I'd rather do Nurse + EDM 2nd 2015 for Hamilton than the successive chain reaction of events that forced Hall out for Adam Larsson.

I'd rather have Taylor Hall + Dougie Hamilton instead of Darnell Nurse + Adam Larsson.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
If we knew the disaster that was coming honestly he would've been better off bending over and getting fleeced by Boston.

I'd rather do Nurse + EDM 2nd 2015 for Hamilton than the successive chain reaction of events that forced Hall out for Adam Larsson.

I'd rather have Taylor Hall + Dougie Hamilton instead of Darnell Nurse + Adam Larsson.

Easily

Im pretty sure Boston wanted the 16th overall + 33rd overall + 79th + Nurse vs what Calgary got him for in 15th + 45 + 52
In hindsight, as bad as it seemed at the time, it was better than getting Reinhart and losing Hall for sure.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

It was the 1st, 2nd and Nurse they were reportedly asking for. We weren't getting Dougie Hamilton unless the Bruins failed to move him out before we offer-sheeted him. And I'm not convinced a team with Dougie Hamilton as their #1 defenseman does much of anything to improve their team defensively in the long-term. I'm happy we kept Darnell.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
It was the 1st, 2nd and Nurse they were reportedly asking for. We weren't getting Dougie Hamilton unless the Bruins failed to move him out before we offer-sheeted him. And I'm not convinced a team with Dougie Hamilton as their #1 defenseman does much of anything to improve their team defensively in the long-term. I'm happy we kept Darnell.
Hamilton is a legit #1. I like Nurse but he's nowhere near as good.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hamilton is a legit #1. I like Nurse but he's nowhere near as good.
He's a legit #1 because he provides the offensive numbers. We were a struggling defensive team who got pinned in their own zone by literally every team in the West. Edmonton needed defense to play defense. If this team never committed to improving that aspect of the game as a whole they weren't going to win many games regardless of who was up front.

Agreed Nurse is nowhere near as good as Hamilton but they are two very different defensemen. Darnell is almost a new age type defender. He has the nastiness in his game mixed with the skating ability and potential to be a puck-rushing D reminiscent of a young Joni Pitkanen. I would've hated to see him as a Boston Bruin.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Or we could've avoided this nightmare altogether, not hired Chiarelli, gotten Hamilton from Boston straight away with any other GM, then not had to have been desperate and taken advantage of for Hall.

Like *literally* any other GM and Boston is happy to deal with us, lol. We have to hire the one person on the planet that they won't deal with and that sets off a chain reaction of very unfortunate moves.

The Seguin trade should have been an enormous red flag along with his cap management in Boston to stay faaaaar away.

To add insult to injury we had to give like what a ... 2nd to get Chia ... lol.

Last edited:

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
He's a legit #1 because he provides the offensive numbers. We were a struggling defensive team who got pinned in their own zone by literally every team in the West. Edmonton needed defense to play defense. If this team never committed to improving that aspect of the game as a whole they weren't going to win many games regardless of who was up front.

Agreed Nurse is nowhere near as good as Hamilton but they are two very different defensemen. Darnell is almost a new age type defender. He has the nastiness in his game mixed with the skating ability and potential to be a puck-rushing D reminiscent of a young Joni Pitkanen. I would've hated to see him as a Boston Bruin.
Hamilton is a dominant possession player. He's the guy you want if you want to stop getting pinned in your own zone.

Nurse has a lot of potential and a really nice skillset but he's still struggling with inconsistency and hasn't put everything together. He's only a year younger than Hamilton and he's nowhere near as good. I still like Nurse a lot as a very good 2nd pairing guy and at the beginning of the year he was looking like a legit top pairing guy but he's been below average since January.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall, RNH, Eberle, Hamilton, Klefbom, Nurse, Schultz, would've been a hell of a core group to start with if we didn't hire Chiarelli. I think Schultz would've done better here too if we got Hamilton, that would've lessened Schultz's minutes.

I mean really the GM would just have to supplement around that core group, adding role players, maybe a guy like Eberle gets moved out long term but that's no biggie.

You got 1 generational center (McDavid), 1 All-Star caliber center/winger (Drai), 1 high end 1B/2A center (RNH), 1 All-Star line driving winger (Hall), 1 high skill winger (Eberle), 1 offensive right D (Hamilton), 1 all-purpose left D (Klefbom), 1 secondary/sheltered offensive RD (Schultz), 1 physical all-purpose left D (Nurse).

Last edited:
Reactions: A91

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hamilton is a dominant possession player. He's the guy you want if you want to stop getting pinned in your own zone.

Nurse has a lot of potential and a really nice skillset but he's still struggling with inconsistency and hasn't put everything together. He's only a year younger than Hamilton and he's nowhere near as good. I still like Nurse a lot as a very good 2nd pairing guy and at the beginning of the year he was looking like a legit top pairing guy but he's been below average since January.

We're obviously not gonna agree about Hamilton. Guy takes a lot of shots. I'm assuming that's where the 'dominant possession' idea comes from. But defensively he's nothing special. The whole Calgary defense is bloody overrated to be completely honest which is why they aren't a whole ton better than we are preventing goals against this year despite the fact ours didn't bother showing up this year.

Agreed on Nurse though. I think he's a guy in the mold of a young Bieksa except he's less of a bitch, owns a better shot and has better wheels. He'll probably top out as a good second pair defenseman who can get away with playing bigger minutes.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
It's telling when a player takes a lot of 5v5 shots or blocks a lot of 5v5 shots because the only reason either situation can happen is if they're in their own zone/attacking zone a lot. Connor McDavid doesn't shoot enough but EASILY leads the Oilers in shots because he's in the attacking zone so much more often than anyone else.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Or we could've avoided this nightmare altogether, not hired Chiarelli, gotten Hamilton from Boston straight away with any other GM, then not had to have been desperate and taken advantage of for Hall.

Like *literally* any other GM and Boston is happy to deal with us, lol. We have to hire the one person on the planet that they won't deal with and that sets off a chain reaction of very unfortunate moves.

The Seguin trade should have been an enormous red flag along with his cap management in Boston to stay faaaaar away.

To add insult to injury we had to give like what a ... 2nd to get Chia ... lol.

RNH - McDavid - Blank
Hall - Drai - Eberle

Klefbom - Hamilton
Nurse - Schultz

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Yeah having a 6'6" RHD who can skate and actually move the puck wouldn't help with that at all.

He's nasty, but loses position all the time. He can skate and rush the puck but has no idea what to do with it once he crosses the other team's blueline.

Point of all this is I'm not sure there's a single person other than Peter Chiarelli who at this point would take Nurse and Larsson over Hall and Hamilton.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah having a 6'6" RHD who can skate and actually move the puck wouldn't help with that at all.

He's nasty, but loses position all the time. He can skate and rush the puck but has no idea what to do with it once he crosses the other team's blueline.

Point of all this is I'm not sure there's a single person other than Peter Chiarelli who at this point would take Nurse and Larsson over Hall and Hamilton.
Moving the puck out usually starts with getting it back.

Also, I'm not sure Peter Chiarelli would fall into that group either considering he was the one threatening the offer-sheet. The unfortunate part is he doesn't really have the luxury to dwell on not getting the player he wanted.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
What has Chia actually done to improve the team?

If the "solution" was to massively overpay for Adam Larsson, so what? Craig MacTavish could've made that trade too. Any idiot could do that.

You think New Jersey says no? If that was the franchise path, to panic and massively overpay and give away your 2nd best player for a no.3 role playing no offence D ... you may as well keep Mac T as GM.

He could do that too if ordered to do so.
The sad thing is with MacT Boston probably doesnt spite us and we get Dougie Hamilton instead of the flames since are draft picks were better

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
We're obviously not gonna agree about Hamilton. Guy takes a lot of shots. I'm assuming that's where the 'dominant possession' idea comes from. But defensively he's nothing special. The whole Calgary defense is bloody overrated to be completely honest which is why they aren't a whole ton better than we are preventing goals against this year despite the fact ours didn't bother showing up this year.

Agreed on Nurse though. I think he's a guy in the mold of a young Bieksa except he's less of a *****, owns a better shot and has better wheels. He'll probably top out as a good second pair defenseman who can get away with playing bigger minutes.
Hamilton has a 6.57 CF% rel (57.27 CF%), +8 GF/GA, 41 points, and is tied for third in the league in ES primary points. He's a bonafide #1 and would probably be the 2nd best player on this entire team.

Brodie is trash though and Hamonic isn't that great either.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Always thought Hamilton was decent offensively, but soft in his own end and a bit of a p***ye. Of course, there are still probably people out there that think the Flames have the best D in the league.:laugh:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Always thought Hamilton was decent offensively, but soft in his own end and a bit of a *****e. Of course, there are still probably people out there that think the Flames have the best D in the league.:laugh:
Hamilton would be our best defensemen imo. Calgary has a real good top pairing but the rest of it is overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad