Fire Travis Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Well his best actual seasons have been in that fourth line role, I don't think it is a huge stretch to call hike a 13th forward.

It actually is a huge stretch. If a Dman is a regular bottom pairing Dman in the NHL and has been for the majority of his NHL career then it's a stretch to call him a 7th Dman.

Derek Dorsett has been a regular in the NHL. He spent most of it as a 4th line player. Sometimes he moves up into a 3rd line role. But he's rarely a healthy scratch. In Columbus he was a fan favourite who was given the alternate captaincy by Hitchcock as a 23 year old. Teams typically don't give the A to a 13th forward who may or may not be in your lineup. As a Ranger, he was a regular and then got injured. He spent some time as a healthy scratch when he came back from injury. Once the playoffs came around, he was a regular on a team that went to the Cup finals.

As a Canuck, I don't remember him being a healthy scratch. He certainly hasn't been the 13th forward here.

If Dorsett's career ended last season, it would have been ridiculous to describe his NHL career as that of a 13th forward.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
What he saw in the AHL for 3 years out of 4 was teams built with binding twine, popsicle sticks, toothpicks, spit, and bubble gum. There were exactly 0 top end prospects unlike every other team in the league was sporting.

2013-14
In the first season the closest to it were Grenier and Jensen. Both looked like deer in the headlights when the puck left their zone, when the other guys on the ice with them moved the puck up ice, and when the offense was taking place when they didn't have the puck on their own sticks. They never heard of what to do when they didn't have the puck and they never heard of what to do with the puck except shoot it. Thus they were floating all over when they didn't have personally have the puck. The word selfish would have been kind to call them. Reminds me of Virtanen when we first saw him.

Green took that mishmash of AHL pickups and journeymen AHLers and few "prospects" who started the season threatening to be the worst team ever to come out of the gates in the AHL and labored to still be nearly dead last in the AHL by Christmas, but turned them into the best team in the AHL from mid-January to the end of the season (record proved it), but their pitiful beginnings were too much to overcome as they just missed the playoffs.

He did this by getting every player on the same page. He got them to buy into a grueling 200 ft system that harassed the hell out of the opposition at every turn. Drive the offense whenever possible, be relentless on the puck, and shoot shoot shoot shoot. Make up for personal deficiencies with relentless work and effort. All of his teams did this from game 1 to the end of every season. Some teams took longer to get it than others, but they would all get it.

2014-15
Shinkaruk and Gaunce were in season 2. Shink was half a player due to his recovery time needed to get back to square one from major injury. Yet he played all but 2 games mostly on the second unit and put up most of his 31 points in the second half of the season. Gaunce was trying to learn to be a wing instead of the center he had always been. He was given more of a defensive role on the 3rd line. In the end he put up 29 pts and also played all but 2 games.

This team was built around a top notch goalie given a chance to recapture his fading career, Jacob Markstrom, a journeyman veteran NHL-AHL center in Cal O'Reilly, a likewise D-man in Bobby Sanguinetti, and former Stanley Cup winning D-man Kent Huskins, the on ice coach and locker room mentor. The first three would be 1st team AHL All-Stars. Vancouver prospects Grenier, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, and Corrado would be teamed up with lower level prospects Biega, Friesen, Archibald, Andersson, and Eriksson and combined with young AHL pickups Hamilton, Bancks, and DeFazio along with AHL vet Dustin Jeffrey to form a very good hockey team. The team would later trade for Will Acton, Andrey Pedan, Sven Baertschi, Adam Clendening, and Cory Conacher. These in season deals would add the final pieces to a very good hockey team. This was done under the watchful eye of Lorne Henning. As anyone knows that team went on to the AHL Calder Cup Finals.Henning was fired during the off season and I still haven't been able to grasp any logical reason for that move.

2015-16
This being the 2nd season for Gaunce and Shinkaruk saw their promise come to fruition. Both ended up near PPG players. Shinkaruk was the team's lone All-star selection. No longer rehabbing a major injury on the fly, Shink led the team in points and goals after 45 games and was then traded. His numbers still ranked #3 at the end of the season, 31 games after he left! Gaunce put up 38 pts in 46 games while splitting time between Utica and Vancouver.

Oh, Subban and Cassels also arrived in season 3. Subban was flat out horrible as a D-man, but played 67 games as Green slowly ingrained a semblance of defensive responsibility in him and put up 36 big points. Cassels was a disaster putting up 7 points in 67 games. He couldn't even keep up with the play/speed of his 3rd line wingers and yet ended up centering the 2nd line as the season degenerated into the PTO show. Yet that rag tag, cobbled together lineup that at the end of the season contained maybe two NHL prospects, Subban and Gaunce, made the playoffs!

In season 4 the Comets finally got a one of those high end prospects every other team had brought to town for the past 3 seasons, Thatcher Demko. He was it as far as new prospects were concerned. Evan McEneny and Curtis Valk became the surprise newcomers of the season while Darren Archibald had a career season and became the Comets single season record goal scorer. Archi, Valk and Grenier finished 1, 2, and 3 in scoring. McEneny was paired with the team's lone AHL All-Star, Jordan Subban, who he learned to cover for while becoming a puck rusher in his own right and at times QB'd the first PP unit and at other times was paired with Subban as the dual points on the PP. Subban matched his 36 points of the previous season and McEneny put up 23, most in the 2nd half of the season. Cassels still sucked improving his point total from 7 the previous season to the amazing total of 11.

Jake also joined the fray and was personally tutored on a daily basis on how to actually play hockey instead of running up and down his wing, shooting the puck when he ran out of space, never realizing he had line mates, and took to the bench when the other team gained control and broke out so he didn't have to defend. He did not put up a lot of points, but his game became impressive and you are seeing the fruits of that labor this season.

This team was long on work ethics and short on talent and missed out on the playoffs in the last week of the season. Their two assets intended to lead the offense were in both in Vancouver by game 10 and never returned and the Canucks never acquired anyone to replace them. In fact after 2014-15 the Comets lost players in Vancouver trades, but never added any in spite of glaring, desperate needs.

WTG obsesses with Greens' dependence on his veteran grinders. He used Bancks, Hamilton, and Zalewski much in the same manner as he is employing Granlund, Sutter, and Dorsett so far this season. They are used to limit the opponent's best offensive line. They also kill penalties and as a result get lots of minutes. Chipping in a few goals along the way doesn't hurt either. He is not a youth hater as WTG seems to imply. Note that the Baertschi/Horvat/ Boeser line is showing up on a regular basis and is moving into becoming the first PP unit. They are scoring at even strength and on the PP. They will become the bona fide first line.

Virtanen is not the skilled player these 3 are and Green is working him into a spot where he can succeed and his ice will increase as he becomes more and more dependable in both ends. He is now with the Sedins. Can anyone argue with the mentorship they can provide him. Have you ever seen two happier guys in watching Jake's glee after scoring his goals thus far? The grins on the bench were ear to ear. Jake is working and the Sedins appreciate his efforts. He's playing what both Green and the Sedins would call "the right way".

Stecher and Hutton get lots of ice time and Hutton is getting PP time. Wiercioch is a vet that's sitting. THE VETS named Sedin are getting 3rd line time.

Will this team continue on this winning pace? Most likely the answer is no. Will that mean that Green sucks? No! It means the necessary talent to compete with the best teams in the NHL is not yet in Vancouver. The Canucks will compete the same way every night. Green will slot players into given roles as most every NHL coach does. The role players are ultra important to the success of every team right up to the Stanley cup champions. The goal of every coach is to win and green is no different, but his "kids" will be brought along in a very positive way given every chance to succeed but not put into continuous can't win situations. Breaking the confidence of developing players is not the way to get them to become everything you want them to be. Let a few veterans take that beating.

I will never agree with WTG and he will never agree with me. I've seen the day to day workings of this guy and his players for 4 years. His practices can be intense and they are fast paced. he is always teaching. In the end he gets the most out of every player.

If you think the players liked Willie, then the players will love Green as they have to a man in Utica. He is honest and open with them, he communicates exactly what he wants, and will help them get it down. He lives with the mistakes of growing pains, but he will reach a point where he will no longer tolerate the same mistakes over and over again. That starts with a simple one on one bench lecture, not a Torts screaming in their face and returning to yell several more times. If it persists, he will skip them a turn or two. Keep doing it, a period on the pine might wake the guy up. Still? Press box. It's a lengthy process before he pulls the rug our from under a guy.

If you aren't good to begin with you probably won't get ice until you are the last choice. In the NHL that's not a likely situation, although an Eriksson type season might earn a player some suit time. Pedan met that end last season and he's gone. Pouliot is getting the 3rd pairing indoctrination and the mistakes are being lived with. Let's see how far this goes. If he plain doesn't get it and can't play the way he should he will be on his way to Utica. That's what happened several times in Pittsburgh. Green has patience. Much more than Benning. That's how he got Jake back. It's how he got Marky on track. It's how he revived a dying on the Calgary vine Baertschi.It's how he got Grenier and Jensen to become complete hockey players. It's how he got Valk and Archibald to handle and prosper in first line roles that they were never meant to shoulder and how Archi literally put a team on his back and carried it through a season. He has turned some players into consummate leaders that had not been such before. Again Archi is prime example #1.

I'm sorry, WTG and MS that he didn't play Hutton in 2014-15. I watched him for a few weeks and 4 games and he was not better than the Comets top 6. Could he have helped? Maybe, but at the time that was a coaching decision and i can live with that. The guys he played got him the division title and the conference title and a finish second only to Mancheseter in the league. That's the same team they lost the Cup to and that team blew past it's opponents on the way to the finals. If I had a question it was with McCann, but Benning whisked him away. Maybe the "character" issues that got him traded were already present. The Comets could really have used a competent center. Friesen was centering Baertschi and Conacher and was probably the main reason for Conacher's lack of play off goal production.

I've already been proven right vs the poster telling you all how you would be watching a boring team playing Green's trap. I told you he doesn't trap. They also don't play any more dump and chase than any other AHL team with an offensive mindset. You dump it when you want a change and you dump it when you have no other alternatives. The D is encouraged to join the rush and can lead it if the opportunity is there. The last forward and off d-man are taught to cover when the other D-man takes off carrying the puck up the ice.

This is not a trap. Do they all have defensive responsibilities when they don't have the puck? Absolutely, but it isn't a trap. It's hound the puck and take away passing lanes allover the ice all the way to your own goal line until you get the puck back. It's not rocket science. It's not new age hockey. It's also not a trap.

I would never question your knowledge of YOUR TEAM you have emerged yourself in them deeply and clearly know more than me. Your contribution to this board with all things baby nucks is emense and is much appreciated by many including me.

However most of this was not the point I was trying to make. I noted I haven’t seen enough of Green to make an appropriate opinion on him. Having read the argument though I don’t think WTG’s posts get the correct treatment.

I think someone like yourself could debate him and it would be a great debate.

My point was people were dismissing his argument for reasons that he was not saying, such as he has only been coaching the Canucks for a few games. When while that is true it is dismissing all the hockey both yourself and WTG have seen.

There was lots of statements he made, that were being tossed aside for no reason.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Look at it this way folks, At least we have a ready made Fire Travis Green thread up and running so that we won't have to start a new one three years down the road when it becomes that time again. And poster WTG will come off looking like Nostradamus ;)

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I don’t know how much is attributable to Green but it’s so weird to be sitting with an abundance of young talent.

Dahlen is killing it
Pettersson is slaying people and taking names
Chatfield looks like Tanev 2.0
Boeser is walking into the nhl and posting a 1.0+ PPG like it’s normal
Virtanen, in a small sample, is looking like he still had top 6 potential

IM NOT USED TO HAVING NICE THINGS

Feb 24, 2017
I don’t know how much is attributable to Green but it’s so weird to be sitting with an abundance of young talent.

Dahlen is killing it

And Dorsett. Never forget Dorsett.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Look at it this way folks, At least we have a ready made Fire Travis Green thread up and running so that we won't have to start a new one three years down the road when it becomes that time again. And poster WTG will come off looking like Nostradamus ;)

Three years down the road? Never mind that. This thread will be bumped after every single Canuck loss until he's no longer here.

It will hit 1000 posts by seasons end... if not sooner.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Dahlen is killing it

A lot of Benning haters have been so focused on the quality of his 1st round picks and the picks he traded that they underestimate how much better a team is when they consistently deliver at least 2-3 NHL players out of every draft. This was actually what Benning did in Buffalo when he was credited as being in charge of the draft. It wasn't like he didn't have 1st round disasters, he did. But there wasn't a draft where he didn't draft an NHL player and often times his drafts produced at least 2 NHL players.

2007+Gillis' drafts not delivering 2+ NHL players or even 1 NHL player really hurt the Canucks without a lot of posters here realizing. Even during the 2011 Cup run, Hodgson's ability to fill in really helped the Cup run. In fact, I honestly think that the Canucks might have won the Cup had they played Hodgson and not Malhotra.

Basically, when you don't have a pipeline of soon to be NHL players you end up with an aging team with the cupboards bare. That's what happened to the Canucks.

For all the criticism of Benning being some old school thinker, he has placed his faith in Brackett and Green who appear to be "forward thinkers."

My current impression is that Green is the right coach for this team. He seem to embody the type of team Benning has tried to build. Of course Sutter also happens to be a foundational player under Green. :D

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Do you need to be an expert to evaluate hockey personnel? All it is, is an appeal to authority. "What gives you the right to question the great and mighty Travis Green?!?!?"

Hey, maybe I came to this conclusion after watching 2 years of Utica comets games? How about that?
And this is the reason why Ive stopped following you on Twitter. You've got good prospect insight and coverage, but you've got these deep set opinions that you believe are 100% correct and annoy everyone else with it. More than Half of your posts are complaining about something or other. And then you do it in such an arrogant manner that rubs people the wrong way... And you will never admit if you are wrong about something. Just some constructive criticism bud

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Dahlen is killing it

Dahlen is killing it in a lower league he shouldn't be in.
Chatfield has miles to go before we sleep. Tanev is one of the NHL's top defensive D-men. Chatfield is stumbling along with good play and not so good play like any other non-blue chip prospect rookie.

Have no problem with the other 3, one of whom I detailed the progress of all last season while so many in Vancouver were burying him. He's still not the #6 OA player that should come from that draft position, but he is a player and more than a 4th liner. We all have to hope Green's work on him doesn't stop.

Have to add the play of Demko to that list. He is the only other prospect playing at a pro level so his promise has more weight than those yet to play a pro game. I consider Boeser, Jake, and Pettersson as the others at the pro level.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Dahlen is killing it

It's pretty much the same as 2008, when we had Hodgson/Schneider/Raymond/Hansen/Grabner as our top prospects.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Which is kind of fun, because all of those players turned into NHLers (assuming that is the point you are making).

Yep, and Hodgson should have turned out much better if not for a debilitating illness.

At least one of our prospects didn't die this summer.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
A lot of Benning haters have been so focused on the quality of his 1st round picks and the picks he traded that they underestimate how much better a team is when they consistently deliver at least 2-3 NHL players out of every draft. This was actually what Benning did in Buffalo when he was credited as being in charge of the draft. It wasn't like he didn't have 1st round disasters, he did. But there wasn't a draft where he didn't draft an NHL player and often times his drafts produced at least 2 NHL players.

2007+Gillis' drafts not delivering 2+ NHL players or even 1 NHL player really hurt the Canucks without a lot of posters here realizing. Even during the 2011 Cup run, Hodgson's ability to fill in really helped the Cup run. In fact, I honestly think that the Canucks might have won the Cup had they played Hodgson and not Malhotra.

Basically, when you don't have a pipeline of soon to be NHL players you end up with an aging team with the cupboards bare. That's what happened to the Canucks.

For all the criticism of Benning being some old school thinker, he has placed his faith in Brackett and Green who appear to be "forward thinkers."

My current impression is that Green is the right coach for this team. He seem to embody the type of team Benning has tried to build. Of course Sutter also happens to be a foundational player under Green. :D
And, how has Buffalo done since Benning was in charge selecting all those superb draft choices?
Also, Gillis drafted , what 28th and 58th...whereas Benning has drafted 6th and 36th...he certainly should have gotten the better players!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Dahlen is killing it

Man is Gaudette like our forgotten hidden prospect now??? Hes trending better than Johnny Hockey was ffs

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
And, how has Buffalo done since Benning was in charge selecting all those superb draft choices?
Also, Gillis drafted , what 28th and 58th...whereas Benning has drafted 6th and 36th...he certainly should have gotten the better players!

Huh?

I am certainly no Benning fan as a GM, but let's get our facts straight. In the six years as head scout, he drafted:

Ryan Miller
Paul Gustad
Derek Roy
Chris Thorburn
Jason Pominville
Keith Ballard
Daniel Paille
Dennis Wideman
Thomas Vanek
Clarke MacArthur
Jan Hejda
Drew Stafford
Andrej Sekera
Patrick Kaleta

This was during their rebuild. Once it was finished, they were 1st in the Northeast twice and went to the conference finals twice. From that list, four players were first rounders.

Perhaps I misunderstood the point you were making with your post?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Can we close this thread? I'm serious, it's his first season, he's only coached only 10 games, and in those 10 games he's 6-3-1.

I'm not saying he's a world beater. I'm asking why the hell this thread even exists? Because he scratched Boeser for the first 2 games? Boo hoo, get over it already, Canucks fans.
I think the thread should stay open..It's a clear demonstration to all, of the impatient 'knee jerk' hysterics that are a portion of the Canuck fanbase.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad