Fire Lindy and Green, Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
do you even know what an nhl team practices on during the season? Flow drills, battle drills, I bet you think they work on the F1 forecheck. Maybe F2 high? Huh? cmon. I bet you think they work on chipping pucks out from the half wall.
This is incredibly dumb. NHL teams have systems, it’s the highest level most competitive hockey league in the world, that’s one way teams strategize to get an edge. Of course they f***ing practice to execute it as well as possible.

I’ve seen some ridiculous arguments on here but this is really next level.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
this is an open forum. When people post something for all to see, it is fair game to be responded to. Thats how the internet works.
We are on the same side wanting a new coach and blaming him for a lot of the problems, but you clearly said "that type of thinking should not be allowed here," which is an insane thing to say, and now taking veiled shots at his religion. I'm not religious in the slightest, but the new guy is right, you gotta know when to stop.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
We are on the same side wanting a new coach and blaming him for a lot of the problems, but you clearly said "that type of thinking should not be allowed here," which is an insane thing to say, and now taking veiled shots at his religion. I'm not religious in the slightest, but the new guy is right, you gotta know when to stop.

how is "you didnt play hockey so your opinion doesnt matter" something that should be allowed in a HOCKEY forum...................?

NiedermayerNades

Mar 1, 2024
this is an open forum. When people post something for all to see, it is fair game to be responded to. Thats how the internet works.
Exactly why it isnt reasonable to suggest an outlandish opinion be silenced

All the back and forth does is cause agita when neither side has any intention of swaying their stance

Ruff will be let go one day and, unless the Devils win the Cup this or next season (after said firing), we wouldnt be able to determine if Ruff was the biggest issue or not

I personally believe he is even if I like the man; but firing him wont instantly fix everything, even if the eventual new-coach bump makes it seem so.

Dougie returning could be as big of a boost as a new coach considering Nemec behind him

Reactions: Homedresser

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
how is "you didnt play hockey so your opinion doesnt matter" something that should be allowed in a HOCKEY forum...................?
That's his opinion, its wrong, but it's his. Say he's wrong. "that type of thinking shouldn't be allowed" is an entire new level of crazy. It's a message board....

Reactions: Homedresser

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I took it as “this type of thinking should not be allowed here” was the appealing to authority and saying anyone who doesn’t play pro hockey is stupid and can’t have an opinion of value.

Maybe it was misunderstood because people who seem to be in favor of open dialogue are arguing against saying appealing to authority to shut down discussion is wrong.

NiedermayerNades

Mar 1, 2024
Id consider this to be trolling.. if the context was instead stating you 'cant know' not that you 'cant definitely state otherwise'

A razor-thin line I agree with as being an exclamatory sentence that usually isnt meant to engage in any sort of intellectual-conversation

Though I believe they were insinuating a lack of understanding versus former pros; which, while still in somewhat poor taste, isnt as bad I dont think

NiedermayerNades

Mar 1, 2024
a guy who's never played the game has no business chirping a coach who's won 800+ games and coached in over 1.7K games. Saying his system is trash when he's never even played in a system? Cmon.
This would be the example of taking it too far, im sorry to say; some of NA sports' greatest coaches have never played their respective sports outside of a youth league

To say someone may know less than a pro is one thing (though chintzy at best); to insinuate they couldnt know I have to fully disagree with, as that is almost as dangerous a precedent as suggesting we silence said opinion

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I took it as “this type of thinking should not be allowed here” was the appealing to authority and saying anyone who doesn’t play pro hockey is stupid and can’t have an opinion of value.

Maybe it was misunderstood because people who seem to be in favor of open dialogue are arguing against saying appealing to authority to shut down discussion is wrong.
I get it, but people post stats all day they don't understand to shut other down, this guy says he played hockey to try and shut others down. It's just what happens. Nobody says, you shouldn't be allowed to post stats here anymore because they don't align with my thinking and I played hockey.

Your opinion is wrong and this is why. You don't know what you are talking about and this is why. You shouldn't be allowed to have that thought...... One of these stands out as being problematic.

Homedresser

Proverbs 26:4-5
Dec 7, 2021
  • Haha
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Of course they're being told what to do. It's the execution. You thin Ruff is telling hughes to blowout when the puck is on the opposite side of the d half wall? Cmon. You have to read the play. Hughes can join the rush but he shouldn't be blowing the zone while the puck is in it. These are the things that the experts are pointing out. If you choose to listen.
Wow brilliant. Whose job is it to hold players accountable for executing? The problem is the player, does that mean we should be trading jack?

Who’s the one deciding to play Luke like a top pairing d-man long after he’s hit the rookie wall and is drowning out there? Who’s deciding to do the same thing with a young and fragile goalie? Who’s the one doing the exact opposite with Holtz? Who’s the one that put the team’s worst defender with Luke on his off hand despite horrendous results earlier in the season? Who’s the one that didn’t utilize Timo correctly until like three games ago?

The list of obvious coaching issues is long. But ok, you supposedly have experience in a hockey locker room. Our apologies for thinking we might have some idea of what the issues are, oh great hockey knowledge gatekeeper.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I get it, but people post stats all day they don't understand to shut other down, this guy says he played hockey to try and shut others down. It's just what happens. Nobody says, you shouldn't be allowed to post stats here anymore because they don't align with my thinking and I played hockey.

Your opinion is wrong and this is why. You don't know what you are talking about and this is why. You shouldn't be allowed to have that thought...... One of these stands out as being problematic.
The difference in posting stats is 2 people discussing and each believing they are correct.

Appeal to authority is 1 person trying to discuss and the other person saying their opinion isn’t worthy because they lack authority.

Appeals to authority is saying “you shouldn’t post that” because only people with authority can be worthy of having an opinion on the topic.

Appealing to authority is a way to shut down discussion and belittle people.

Reactions: JimEIV

Homedresser

Dec 7, 2021
Wow brilliant. Whose job is it to hold players accountable for executing? The problem is the player, does that mean we should be trading jack?

Who’s the one deciding to play Luke like a top pairing d-man long after he’s hit the rookie wall and is drowning out there? Who’s deciding to do the same thing with a young and fragile goalie? Who’s the one doing the exact opposite with Holtz? Who’s the one that put the team’s worst defender with Luke on his off hand despite horrendous results earlier in the season? Who’s the one that didn’t utilize Timo correctly until like three games ago?

The list of obvious coaching issues is long. But ok, you supposedly have experience in a hockey locker room. Our apologies for thinking we might have some idea of what the issues are, oh great hockey knowledge gatekeeper.
It's not that at all. But calling for a Hof'er to be run out of town when every expect and analyst is telling you the real issues is being naive

TIER 1 U16 Natties and D1 two years in Hockey East. Preped at the big barn on the farm.
got a ring for it. What have you ever gotten plaing the sport?

NiedermayerNades

Mar 1, 2024
The difference in posting stats is 2 people discussing and each believing they are correct.

Appeal to authority is 1 person trying to discuss and the other person saying their opinion isn’t worthy because they lack authority.

Appeals to authority is saying “you shouldn’t post that” because only people with authority can be worthy of having an opinion on the topic.

Neither should be acceptable; silencing opinions based on feeling nor resume

Now - on the topic of Lindy Ruff - the only thing less acceptable than the previous discussion is the playtime of Alexander Holtz; for that reason alone Id let him go before the former requests a trade

Reactions: Devils731

Homedresser

Dec 7, 2021
LOL by that logic we could easily say you have no business commenting on the NHL because you have never been part of an NHL locker room specifically.
But i've played with numerous players that have and actually conintue to have a relationship with players and coaches at the nhl level. Do you?

• Haha

Omar Little

Omar comin yo
Jun 12, 2006
Massachusetts
palat is the LEAST of this teams issues

This team needs another two Palat's (of 5 years ago) in the top 9. Palat (of today) is a perfectly fine middle-6 forward who can jump up in a pinch and he plays a complete game something arguably only 3 or 4 of the forwards on the roster have done game in and game out this year (Hischier, Palat, Haula, and Bratt)

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

"You don't understand these stats so your opinion on the game you just watched is wrong." "You never played hockey so your opinion on the game you just watched is wrong."

They both do it, I don't like it, but it is what it is. Saying something should not be allowed is going too far.

And don't get me wrong, I think this dude is off his rocker and completely wrong, but just tell him that then. I stuck my nose into a conversation I wasn't in when I saw "this type of thinking shouldn't be allowed." That's it.

Reactions: Devils731

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I also like the appeal to authority of a broadcast…because it’s definitely typical for them to call it out when coaches deserve criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad