Fire Hakstol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The bulk of his scoring comes on the power play. That's where he has exceptional value.
41st in 5x5 scoring, 2nd in PP scoring (though 8 of his 12 points are on secondary assists).

Flyers would be best served with Sanheim taking his spot on the 2nd pair next year, moving Ghost down to 3rd pair.
Double shift Ghost with Provorov when you want an offensive boost during a game.
I think Sanheim has more upside as an ES player. Much bigger, straight line faster (though not quicker) with many of the same skills.
Do PP points not count anymore? As far as I know a PP goal can still win you games.

And like Jojo said above, Ghost's skill doesn't change at 5v5... the difference is that he's paired with the worst defensemen on our roster every damn night. Guys who have a roughly equal chance to help Ghost score as I do while sitting on my couch. And usually, I'm actually more helpful because I'm not pinching like an idiot and making him play back as the safety net or throwing Matt Carle-style shots towards the net and forfeiting possession of the puck.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
If you want someone to be elite offensively, the worst way to go about that is to pair him with Robert Hagg and Brandon Manning. Manning was the guy firing shots in that pairing. :laugh:
Most defensemen who are considered elite offensively score a ton on the PP and play with top notch forwards. Elite dmen playing 5v5 with crappy forwards will yield crappy results for all but generational types. Playing 5v5 with excellent forwards and a crappy partner will still yield good results.

Last edited:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Phantoms Danick Martel happy with his brief NHL stint, debut with Flyers

Martel didn’t get to talk with Flyers head coach Dave Hakstol for feedback but he did watch a lot of video with Flyers assistant coach Ian Laperriere. Martel acknowledged he saw some of his mistakes but the ones he saw were minor and his skating after any small gaffes helped control the damage.

“They asked me to be better defensively,” Martel said. “I played good defensively, I’m proud of it and now I’m back here and I’ll just try to keep working, be in shape and if they call me up I’ll be ready again.”

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Hak has no idea how to talk to young players does he? No words of encouragement, what they could do better, what they are doing wrong and what they could fix. Things you would expect a coach to do and he's not...

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Yes, it's time to start whining about the next coach.

Next coach will not be perfect but I really really don't think he can be as bad as Hak. Actually I would like to know what you think he does well? Since he came to Philly how has this team improved, I can't really see any improvements. (besides the obvious personnel improving the team ala Ghost and Provo etc)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Next coach will not be perfect but I really really don't think he can be as bad as Hak. Actually I would like to know what you think he does well? Since he came to Philly how has this team improved, I can't really see any improvements. (besides the obvious personnel improving the team ala Ghost and Provo etc)

The team has steadily improved despite a decline in talent (yes, at some point Patrick and Sanheim will be an increase in talent, but not right now, we're lost a lot of veterans over the last five years, and then Schenn. The only significant talent added has been Ghost, Provorov and Konecny, but the last two are works in progress).

The Flyers are #1 in goals against 5x5, that's a good base to add scoring talent. a maturing defense and better goalies.
The Flyers are also #6 in GF% 5x5
They're 20th in GF, but it doesn't take a leap of imagination to expect a substantial improvement once Patrick is 100%, Sanheim takes the next step, Lindblom, MV, Vorobyev, NAK come up.
The PP and PK have to improve, the PK is what's keeping them out of the playoffs right now.

2017-18: 1.83 5x5 goals per game
2016-17: 1.55
2015-16: 1.62
2014-15: 1.62
2013-14: 1.76
2012-13: 1.71
2011-12: 2.02

I don't think the system is supressing scoring, the lack of talent is the problem.
Moving Voracek to the 2nd line may help, but Filppula is a 3C and Patrick a #4C, as is Laughton, right now.
Raffl and Konecny are 3rd line wingers.
Patrick getting healthy and Konecny growing up (if he shot like Boesser he'd have 10 goals this season) will help.
We need to add those AHL forwards at some point to build quality forward depth.
Then down the road add guys like Frost, Rubtsov, Allison, etc to improve forward quality.

Getting Gudas back and Sanheim's continued development (he's a notorious slow starter at a new level), will help the defense.
As will Morin and Myers next year.

I believe in a defense first scheme that quickly transitions to the attack, but you need the players who can execute the scheme.
We know Filppula is limited, Weise is a disappointment, Lehtera is a disaster, Leier is a waterbug with limited skills, Laughton a LW forced to play C, Simmonds an average ES wing except in front of the net.
We know MacDonald and Manning are stopgaps, that Hagg is destined for the 3rd pair.
If we had no replacements in the system, it would be cause for despair.
But we have the fast forwards, skilled scorers and mobile defensemen that can make this scheme shine.

Patience, Grasshopper.
And I guarantee you'll hate the next coach, because he'll run a similar scheme - it's what Hextall wants.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This board is so anti-Hakstol that they will read MacDonald's Corsi numbers to Hakstol at the STH meeting, but bash Hakstol for not playing Patrick more, who probably has just about the worst Corsi numbers in the NHL.

Reactions: joez86

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not"

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
This sentence tells me more than enough about Hakstol... Unbelievable.

And again....any coach that doesn't try to help develop our young talent and stifles their growth is a BAD coach. I don't care what his name is, experience is or resume looks like - if you aren't helping the future of this team, you shouldn't have a job.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who exactly has been stifled, unless, of course, you assume every prospect will instantly be a star.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
This board is so anti-Hakstol that they will read MacDonald's Corsi numbers to Hakstol at the STH meeting, but bash Hakstol for not playing Patrick more, who probably has just about the worst Corsi numbers in the NHL.

Patrick and MacDonald are not the same; you know they're not the same for umpteen reasons pointless to list out.

And the same analytics people, not simply Corsi readers, who rag on MacDonald openly admit to many of Patrick's flaws in what has been a mediocre season thus far. I don't think they want Patrick with the best wingers in tougher match-ups he can't handle. I think they more so just want him to get regular shifts (ideally not with Weise for much longer) and not sit half a game, even if that's a steady 4th line role+PP. If that's "playing Patrick more," I think that is within reason.

Funny enough those same people, going back to another debate, would rather play MacDonald in bigger minutes than the rookie Hagg. It's not black or white.

Reactions: Striiker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad