Status
Not open for further replies.

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
:ha:
To make the system work:
1) you need at least one defenseman on every shift who can attack the O-zone (and responsible forwards who know when to cycle)
2) you need big forwards who can crash the net and set up screens
3) you need at least one playmaker and one shooter on each line.

Realistically, how many players in today's NHL can beat a goalie with a clear shot, and how much time do you get to shoot?
Sure, Laine, Boeser, a few others have killer shots, we used to have a guy like that every decade or so. Leach, MacLeish, Lindros . . .
But most goals are either perfect passes and shot before the goalie reacts or are shot through screens where the goalie doesn't see it or can't control the rebound.

Yes, if Voracek had an above average shot he'd be a 40 goal scorer, if TK develops one he'll become a 40 goal scorer, but we've seen too many open shots end up harmlessly in a goalie's belly or miss the net. So you have to manufacture goals in that case.

Patrick I think is going to be a serious scoring threat because he's going to grow into an immovable object once he works out a couple summers, and he has great hands, both strength and eye to hand coordination.
If Strome can skate well enough to make the NHL he may provide similar skills.

Who else?
James van Riemsdyk had a brilliant career at the NET PRESENCE area!:ha:

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hakstol isn’t the one who acquired Lehtera, Weise, and Mrazek (or a fragile Neuvirth as backup, for that matter).

And there’s no evidence that Elliott wouldn’t have gotten injured if only he’d played fewer games.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Has played with our 2 worst dmen and really poor fits for him outside of Sanheims first stint. His numbers with Sanheim were very good. He would be playing with him again now if Hagg-MacDonald wasnt such a trainwreck together.
Valid point....

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Has played with our 2 worst dmen and really poor fits for him outside of Sanheims first stint. His numbers with Sanheim were very good. He would be playing with him again now if Hagg-MacDonald wasnt such a trainwreck together.

The only other player he played with was Manning, but his minutes with Sanheim were more sheltered.

Last year he had better numbers with Manning than this season, while his numbers last year with MDZ were similar to his with Sanheim this year (i.e, Gudas is better with a mobile defenseman who can carry the puck for him).

requiredusername

Apr 9, 2015
Yes, as I've said, we know you're opposed to improving the team.

Here is the problem with improving the team. Hextall is not going to sign or trade for someone unless absolutely necessary (Mrazek). He will bring the guys up from the minors when they are ready and not a moment sooner.

If it was me, I would have buried Weise, Lehtera, and Flip in the minors along with Read. However, Hextall did not think the young guys were ready so they played out the year in the AHL.

Hak has been given a lot of garbage at the bottom of the roster for his whole tenure. Hextall needs to be accountable for his trade and UFA gaffs. Someone needs to talk to Hextall about his talent evaluation at the NHL level.

When does Lappy get held accountable for a bad PK? I don't think there is an organization like the Flyers where the head coach does not get to choose his Assistant's. They seem to stick around with you like herpes. No matter how bad they do, they just rotate through coaches.

Not working: Weise, Lehtera, Flip, Mrazek, Boyd Gordon.

Working: Elliott

Meh: Weal

Reactions: Rebels57

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Flip has performed a lot better than the other guys on that not working list. If you think Hextall should have started the season with Patrick or Laughton as the 2C and Filppula in the AHL you're living in a fantasy land.

The only problem with your explanation is that Neuvirth was healthy at times when he was still playing Elliott every game and he did the same thing the last two years before this season with Mason, indicating that it’s how he coaches and not any of the reasons you just cited.

Neuvirth was on IR between 12/6 and 12/26. The most games Elliott started in a row outside that period was five.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall did this deliberately, having dug out of cap hell he wasn't jumping back in with FA acquisitions, having rebuilt the farm system he wasn't trading it away for a marginal improvement to a borderline playoff team.

But I think they're reaching the point where he may start to shift to the present rather than build for the future.
The Marody trade signaled the system has gotten deep enough that he's going to have to move prospects to make room for other prospects.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just so this info is saved in this thread:

4-2 lead.

TK with 2 goals.

18:38 left in the 3rd period.

TK gets benched for Read.

Hak is so afraid to actually let them keep playing to keep getting more goals. He paralyzed the team by playing worse players, more.

Oh...and Read is out with that line, gets scored on, TK still benched and Read STILL gets shifts with top line.

This is why we won't win with him as coach. We win despite him, not because of him.

And **** any ****** who is typing a novel in an attempt to defend him!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
So... about that billboard idea. Remember that?

5bPKLq3.jpg

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
Did he have AMac out with Provy on purpose during the third or was that just an odd situation?
Regardless, I'm on the bandwagon. This is getting embarrassing. The last two games were pathetic, and look at the teams they played. I don't care about "loose and nothing to play for" BS (maybe there's a lesson there, jackwagon).
Didn't Hexy say one of the main reasons Berube got ousted was for not getting the most out of the players? At least something along those lines? Hak coached = less than the sum of it's parts.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don’t remember which thread it was in, but there was talk of wanting Quenneville as the next coach...

I went over to the Blackhawks board to see what they think of him and the complaints sounded extremely familiar. Including...

- Team not ready to play games
- Outdated/nonexistent system
- Can’t make adjustments
- Carried to success by his roster
- Overuse of top players
- Bad roster management
- Preferential treatment to tough guys and vets
- Horrible PP
... and so on...

Also, this sounds familiar...
The bigger issue is that he seems either stubbornly unwilling or simply unable to evolve his system for the modern NHL. The D still aren't given a green light to skate the puck out of the Dzone or into the Ozone, the forwards are still deferring to point shots at 5v5 instead of trying to make plays (because trying to make a play is risky, whereas a point shot is the 'safe' play) when most goals are scored from the 'key', he's strangling offense out of an offensively talented team.
.....though I'd LOVE to know why Murphy was scratched after putting up a GREAT performance against NSH the night before. Dicking him around isn't going to help him improve. Though I bet he's longing to be playing alongside OEL right about now...
And...
Instead, he remains short-sighted, wearing out his top players in the RS and playing vets ahead of youngsters who should be the future of the club.

There’s a ton more, obviously, but my point is that he appears to be just more of the same. We all know Hakstol is an idiot, but most coaches are. That’s why I’m not as angry at Hextall for keeping him around as some of you... it’s not like Hakstol is some rare idiot among a sea of great coaches that Hextall is passing up on. I’m 100% convinced whoever we end up with next will cause the exact same complaints. We’re not getting Lavi back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad