Fire Gallant -- We need to save this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Tallon looking for a scorer by the trade deadline

:laugh::laugh: You only add a veteran scorer and give up future draft choices when you actually have a team that is beyond the bubble stage. This would be an abysmal waste and precipitated by a desperate GM trying to save his job.

My guess is we give up (2) 2nd's + a solid prospect to get 34 yr old Vrbata (9 G's with the Sedins). Dollar Cost: $2M for the remainder of the season at the trade deadline. Worth it??:laugh::laugh:

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/12/11/panthers-want-to-acquire-goalscorer-by-deadline-says-tallon/

Last edited:

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
:laugh::laugh: You only add a veteran scorer and give up future draft choices when you actually have a team that is beyond the bubble stage. This would be an abysmal waste and precipitated by a desperate GM trying to save his job.

My guess is we give us a 2nd + a solid prospect to get 34 yr old Vrbata (9 G's with the Sedins). Dollar Cost: $2M for the remainder of the season at the trade deadline. Worth it??:laugh::laugh:

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/12/11/panthers-want-to-acquire-goalscorer-by-deadline-says-tallon/

Um no...this would be a GM not happy with Pirri and Hubs not doing what he thought they'd do this year and realizing that we're close and need the scoring. No idea how came with all that in your post.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Um no...this would be a GM not happy with Pirri and Hubs not doing what he thought they'd do this year and realizing that we're close and need the scoring. No idea how came with all that in your post.
I have no idea what you just said.

This won't go down until the trade deadline, and by that time we will be out of it. Canucks are probably asking for a top young prospect or a #1 at this point. They will hold out for that right till the end as the Cats aren't the only ones kicking the tires on Vrbata. Teams who actually are more than a bubble team will be the overall favorite to win the bidding war.

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
The sooner Tallon realizes we need to sell and not buy, the better. But since Tallon is on the hot seat... We're ****ed

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado

My guess is we give up (2) 2nd's + a solid prospect to get 34 yr old Vrbata (9 G's with the Sedins). Dollar Cost: $2M for the remainder of the season at the trade deadline. Worth it??:laugh::laugh:

They desperately need to draft some snipers. Just bite the bullet and layoff the two way players and draft some snipers.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
The sooner Tallon realizes we need to sell and not buy, the better. But since Tallon is on the hot seat... We're ****ed

We need to sell? Why? Start the rebuild all over? When you sell you typically sell off old vets who still have something left and all we have there is Jokinen, but he's not even a rental.

We don't need to sell, we need to get rid of our quantity of mediocre prospects, not get more

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
We need to sell? Why? Start the rebuild all over? When you sell you typically sell off old vets who still have something left and all we have there is Jokinen, but he's not even a rental.

We don't need to sell, we need to get rid of our quantity of mediocre prospects, not get more

Yes, agreed.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
They desperately need to draft some snipers. Just bite the bullet and layoff the two way players and draft some snipers.
Other than top 15 choices in the first round, the rest of the guys drafted have been 2nd or 3rd pairing dmen, or 3rd and 4th line forwards (exception Bjugstad). They have to start rolling the dice on guys who can shoot the puck. I was all for taking a chance on Brock Boeser at #12, but the scouting staff and Tallon went for the top forward available in the draft at the time (who conceivably is a bottom six player for sure and a guy who has never proven for his size in juniors he can be a top goal scorer).:banghead:

2nd and 3rd round players available who are snipers are usually smaller guys who can shoot the puck and scored very well in juniors or NCAA for their size.

My guess is Rocco will be called up. He scored again last night in a loss and it was a nice snap shot. He is beginning to understand this is what is going to get him a place on the roster up here, not some dispsy doodle fancy stick work with a deke move. Let's hope he can make something of this call-up as he is a good kid and hard worker.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I have no idea what you just said.

This won't go down until the trade deadline, and by that time we will be out of it. Canucks are probably asking for a top young prospect or a #1 at this point. They will hold out for that right till the end as the Cats aren't the only ones kicking the tires on Vrbata. Teams who actually are more than a bubble team will be the overall favorite to win the bidding war.

Really not hard to figure out. I left one word out.

He moved Booth the year we made it and those moves worked well. He won't wait till the deadline when we can use the push now. Vebata was that guy's speculation, doubt we get him.

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008

How is selling and starting the rebuild over related?

We have a great core... But this teams going nowhere this season. Guys like Jokinen, Pirri, Jagr, Bolland (no chance anybody takes him), Mitchell and Campbell should all be shopped.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
How is selling and starting the rebuild over related?

We have a great core... But this teams going nowhere this season. Guys like Jokinen, Pirri, Jagr, Bolland (no chance anybody takes him), Mitchell and Campbell should all be shopped.

Selling those players will bring us nothing but more mediocre prospects when we are at the point where we need to start weeding out our own. We're also 5 points out of a playoff spot with 50 games and the easier part of our schedule left. If we're in this spot at the deadline, fine, sell away, but it's crazy early to call us sellers

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I think we've all seen what this season's squad has to offer. They should plug along at the same pace for the remainder of the season winning some, losing some. It could be worse but I think they are going to need some help from other teams to get into the playoffs. I'd love to see them do it but there are too many things hanging on hopes and dreams and not enough in reality.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I think we've all seen what this season's squad has to offer. They should plug along at the same pace for the remainder of the season winning some, losing some. It could be worse but I think they are going to need some help from other teams to get into the playoffs. I'd love to see them do it but there are too many things hanging on hopes and dreams and not enough in reality.

Certainly looks that way. I don't know how this team is worse than last year's team or pretty much the same record wise.

Full year of Luongo and Jagr. Another year of experience for the core of young guys plus Pirri and Trocheck for the whole season. Barkov got to train in the offseason. No more Kopecky. It doesn't really make sense that we're not better.

TheRealDeal88

Dec 10, 2013
Problem is just that players aren't good enough really @ES, especially forwards. For top9 I like Barkov, Huby & Smith(nice trading), Jokinen has been reasonable. Bjugs, I hope he can put his stuff together and play center not looking good this season though. Has Huby - Barkov - Bjugs been tried? Looks really good on paper.

Last edited:

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Problem is just that players aren't good enough really @ES, especially forwards. For top9 I like Barkov, Huby & Smith(nice trading), Jokinen has been reasonable. Bjugs, I hope he can put his stuff together and play center not looking good this season though. Has Huby - Barkov - Bjugs been tried? Looks really good on paper.

I agree. We barely even have a player in his prime. As much as no one wants to hear it it is going to take time. We just aren't good enough yet. The coach is the wrong guy to blame.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I agree. We barely even have a player in his prime. As much as no one wants to hear it it is going to take time. We just aren't good enough yet. The coach is the wrong guy to blame.

This is what I think as well. I wouldn't put it on Gallant. The powerplay is better which is a step in the right direction.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
This is what I think as well. I wouldn't put it on Gallant. The powerplay is better which is a step in the right direction.

Is it? Because I have had little faith in our PP lately. They have trouble sustaining any type of offensive zone time and have trouble getting set up.

I often marvel how quickly other teams get set up and keep possession of the puck.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Well, the cats finished last season with the 24th ranked power play in the league. Right now they sit at 12th. I'm not sure how these numbers things work. Is that better? :sarcasm:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Well, the cats finished last season with the 24th ranked power play in the league. Right now they sit at 12th. I'm not sure how these numbers things work. Is that better? :sarcasm:

The home powerplay is great. The road is a different story. Lately it has looked disorganized. We're always missing a stud out there. Jagr/Barkov is the closest thing we have to a stud.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
The home powerplay is great. The road is a different story. Lately it has looked disorganized. We're always missing a stud out there. Jagr/Barkov is the closest thing we have to a stud.

But it IS better overall. I swear it's like pulling teeth sometimes in here. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad