Fire Gallant -- We need to save this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Well, the cats finished last season with the 24th ranked power play in the league. Right now they sit at 12th. I'm not sure how these numbers things work. Is that better? :sarcasm:

I honestly think we boosted our numbers against Colorado, and maybe another team. Philly perhaps. Thus it makes it look a lot better than it actually is. It has been pretty terrible recently. I would be intrigued to know our PP% for the last 10 games. Because I think it keeps slipping. And considering our next three games are on the road, I expect it to keep slipping. Don't worry, All Star break isn't too far away! :sarcasm:

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
The home powerplay is great. The road is a different story. Lately it has looked disorganized. We're always missing a stud out there. Jagr/Barkov is the closest thing we have to a stud.

That "stud" would be a healthy Nick on the half wall with that clapper to keep teams honest on pp1. Makes our PP2 way stronger with a Huby or Pirri slotted there.

As well, we need to add one more piece that puts the puck on net off feeds from Jokinen, Huberdeau, Campbell etc.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
But it IS better overall. I swear it's like pulling teeth sometimes in here. :laugh:

Do the numbers say it's better than last years sub-par power play? Yes.
Is it good enough right now to be reliably effective or a serious threat? Hell no. Have you been watching it the past few games?

The cats had a run at home where they were scoring on the PP which padded the numbers.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Do the numbers say it's better than last years sub-par power play? Yes.
Is it good enough right now to be reliably effective or a serious threat? Hell no. Have you been watching it the past few games?

The cats had a run at home where they were scoring on the PP which padded the numbers.

In the last game they only had one power play chance. The two games before that they were pretty bad going 1 for 10. The power play is still better than last year's even after this cold streak. That's how bad it was last year. It's still better.

It will get even better as soon as our guys start making quicker decisions with the puck. The mental part of the game is alway the last part to come around. They aren't there yet. They hold the puck too long.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
As easy as it is to say that bad stats are padded by a good run, I can counter with the the good stats have been diluted by a bad run.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
As easy as it is to say that bad stats are padded by a good run, I can counter with the the good stats have been diluted by a bad run.

The worrying part is that the bad stats have been recent, while the good stats seem like a long time ago.

Also, as already mentioned, the PP has been skewed due to some good games. I think we scored 3 against Colorado, and they were terrible on the PK. Still, you can only perform what is in front of you.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
The worrying part is that the bad stats have been recent, while the good stats seem like a long time ago.

Also, as already mentioned, the PP has been skewed due to some good games. I think we scored 3 against Colorado, and they were terrible on the PK. Still, you can only perform what is in front of you.

Yes. Trending down isn't good.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
In the last game they only had one power play chance. The two games before that they were pretty bad going 1 for 10. The power play is still better than last year's even after this cold streak. That's how bad it was last year. It's still better.

It will get even better as soon as our guys start making quicker decisions with the puck. The mental part of the game is alway the last part to come around. They aren't there yet. They hold the puck too long.

Agreed. :)

EstConf96*

2621127-3795908850-244b9.jpg

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
I really do not like the systems Gallant and the the coaching personnel have placed on the team.. it irks me to no end.

We continue to dump the puck when pressured.
It's like our d men and forwards panic . We continue to do this and basically give the other side the puck + more possession. The opposite team usually enters our zone with ease...so why do we continue to dump the puck out? I know it is crucial to dump the puck when there is an INSURMOUNTABLE (not every time) pressure being applied or when a dangerous situation arises.. I know that we want them to skate and play through the whole rink just to get an opportunity to get a shot in, but it seems we rely on this tactic for mostly 90% of the game and they come in with ease anyways.

Why isn't anyone (especially the dmen) skating the puck out? I know east/west passing is usually risky, but we don't initiate offensive breakouts as much as we use to. We always end up fitting the mold of what the other team dictates. And to make matters worse our faceoffs are atrocious.. so with the whole "dumping the puck out at the first sight of slight danger" philosophy just gives more time to the other team.

It feels like we continue dump the puck out, reset the play, and wait until the pristine time to skate out towards their offensive zone. It's the same philosphy the coaching staff and players seem to institute within the pp. Wait until the perfect pass and opening is available.

Notice the SOG imbalances in some of the games we have played, notice the system in place when we are pressured in our zone. This system is garbage and needs to be tweaked IMO.

I remember the systems Horachek had in place seemed wayyyy better than Gallants..

Am I crazy or are any of you noticing this? Would like to hear some opinions..

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I really do not like the systems Gallant and the the coaching personnel have placed on the team.. it irks me to no end.

We continue to dump the puck when pressured.
It's like our d men and forwards panic . We continue to do this and basically give the other side the puck + more possession. The opposite team usually enters our zone with ease...so why do we continue to dump the puck out? I know it is crucial to dump the puck when there is an INSURMOUNTABLE (not every time) pressure being applied or when a dangerous situation arises.. I know that we want them to skate and play through the whole rink just to get an opportunity to get a shot in, but it seems we rely on this tactic for mostly 90% of the game and they come in with ease anyways.

Why isn't anyone (especially the dmen) skating the puck out? I know east/west passing is usually risky, but we don't initiate offensive breakouts as much as we use to. We always end up fitting the mold of what the other team dictates. And to make matters worse our faceoffs are atrocious.. so with the whole "dumping the puck out at the first sight of slight danger" philosophy just gives more time to the other team.

It feels like we continue dump the puck out, reset the play, and wait until the pristine time to skate out towards their offensive zone. It's the same philosphy the coaching staff and players seem to institute within the pp. Wait until the perfect pass and opening is available.

Notice the SOG imbalances in some of the games we have played, notice the system in place when we are pressured in our zone. This system is garbage and needs to be tweaked IMO.

I remember the systems Horachek had in place seemed wayyyy better than Gallants..

Am I crazy or are any of you noticing this? Would like to hear some opinions..

We have dumped the puck in for the last 15 years with the only time off of our laziness being october-decemeber 2011 when weiss flash versteeg killed it and barkov huby jags from feb 2015-april 2015.

Not a single coach has been able to motivate our players to stop being lazy.

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
We have dumped the puck in for the last 15 years with the only time off of our laziness being october-decemeber 2011 when weiss flash versteeg killed it and barkov huby jags from feb 2015-april 2015.

Not a single coach has been able to motivate our players to stop being lazy.

Dumping in is no issues.. im saying dumping puck OUT. As in, when we get the claim the puck from the opposition in OUR zone.. we dump the puck OUT, instead of skating it out or passing it efficiently out of the zone, thus creating a breakout of some sort. I guess I should have specified that.. sorry about that.

Like when the other team is in our zone.. we do not skate it out.. when continuously dump it out of harms way..resetting the play.

Dumping in I know is crucial to mix up our offensive and to create pressure..

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Dumping in is no issues.. im saying dumping puck OUT. As in, when we get the claim the puck from the opposition in OUR zone.. we dump the puck OUT, instead of skating it out or passing it efficiently out of the zone, thus creating a breakout of some sort. I guess I should have specified that.. sorry about that.

Like when the other team is in our zone.. we do not skate it out.. when continuously dump it out of harms way..resetting the play.

Dumping in I know is crucial to mix up our offensive and to create pressure..
It really boils down to who do we have with speed/skill/IQ that can help carry the puck? The Pens picked up Daly because of a similar problem. Kuli has some skill but doesn't have the IQ or speed. Soup is our best puck carrying defenseman but even he has lost a step. Ekblad is starting to take over a bit, but he is not a fast skater. Kampfer is good but not great. Then you have the rest. :)

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out why other teams like to forecheck and pressure our defense and even the other teams D cheats and pressure's the puck in neutral ice rather than sit back. We get chances when they do this but we don't finish enough of the odd man rushes to force teams out of this type of play.

You can see some of the safe philosophy that is dictated by the players used on the PK. Teams have no problem gaining the zone because we sit back and clog the middle and the passing lanes. Other teams when we are on the PP never play that style against us because the game plans dictate we don't move the puck well enough or fast enough to be effective most of the time.

Bottom line is the system fits the players.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
It really boils down to who do we have with speed/skill/IQ that can help carry the puck? The Pens picked up Daly because of a similar problem. Kuli has some skill but doesn't have the IQ or speed. Soup is our best puck carrying defenseman but even he has lost a step. Ekblad is starting to take over a bit, but he is not a fast skater. Kampfer is good but not great. Then you have the rest. :)

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out why other teams like to forecheck and pressure our defense and even the other teams D cheats and pressure's the puck in neutral ice rather than sit back. We get chances when they do this but we don't finish enough of the odd man rushes to force teams out of this type of play.

You can see some of the safe philosophy that is dictated by the players used on the PK. Teams have no problem gaining the zone because we sit back and clog the middle and the passing lanes. Other teams when we are on the PP never play that style against us because the game plans dictate we don't move the puck well enough or fast enough to be effective most of the time.

Really?? What do you consider speed? :huh:

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl

Damn. Interesting take. I honestly believe that we do have the capabilities to skate the puck out and produce a decent breakout. I also believe that ekblad, kuli, gudbranson and cambell have enough IQ and speed to get out of the zone without compromising our puck possession as well.. just do not have the confidence, patient to withstand pressure..That is when the coach steps in and changes that. I never really saw this type of dumping when Horachek, or even Dineen was around, if so, barely when the situation calls for it.I remember most of the games we lost we by one or two goals, no major blow outs.

But you do bring up some interesting points...I just think there is a better system that can help us gain more puck possession and strike up more chances to launch offensive chances.. we barely have the puck most of the games played so far..

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Damn. Interesting take. I honestly believe that we do have the capabilities to skate the puck out and produce a decent breakout. I never really saw this type of dumping when Horachek, or even Dineen was around, if so, barely when the situation calls for it.I remember most of the games we lost we by one or two goals, no major blow outs.

But you do bring up some interesting points ...
To answer the question about speed. I'm not saying you have to be a speed skater, you just need to be smooth with above average NHL speed as a blueliner to carry the puck on a regular basis. Ekblad can carry the puck once in a while, but I don't think they feel comfortable with him on a regular basis. While he's not fast, he is fast enough but his skating needs to get smoother where it will allow him to avoid the takeaway. I thought Kuli would grow into that role even though I think he lacks the speed necessary because he's always been a very smooth skater. Unfortunately, he just makes bad decisions with the puck. Watch Andy Greene and Larsson tonight.

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
I think we have the same similar dmen stylings as greene and larsson in our dmen lineup IMO.

I'll shall keep an eye on them for sure.. but I would say the same for kulikov and ekblad to you. Watch them.. they have the capabilities to skate out and create a better breakout for our fowards, if not more so than what larsson or greene possess.

I dunno man.. just hate the whole panic hockey style.. I thought we played well under Horachek..

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
8-3-0 since the creation of this thread. Tied for a playoff spot with our easiest portion of the schedule ahead. Any slight position changes yet?

Jacob Roberts

Jan 27, 2011
Jinju, S Korea

:clap: Bravo :clap: Bravo

Im not some apologist for GG, i dont have strong feelings about him either way. But to suggest his "system" or "instructions" or whatever for things like breaking in and out of zones is "dump the puck" is just weird... Obviously he would like clean passes, fast first steps to beat the direct opponent, the smarts to make the right choice, but ultimately only the players can execute. If they can't do those things and have no other option, dumping the puck is necessary, and not because "its the system". Every player in the league will dump the puck when under pressure, its not something unique to GG's players. The best teams, which have the best players, are under extreme pressure less often and hence can control the puck longer. Brokin youve explained the finer details perfectly.

Good news is that over the last 10 games i (and i assume we) have seen players like trochek and kampfer really step up and improve our efficiency in breakin/outs in their respective zones (Barky still our teams best, Smith and Ek pretty good at this too).

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I think we have the same similar dmen stylings as greene and larsson in our dmen lineup IMO.

I'll shall keep an eye on them for sure.. but I would say the same for kulikov and ekblad to you. Watch them.. they have the capabilities to skate out and create a better breakout for our fowards, if not more so than what larsson or greene possess.

I dunno man.. just hate the whole panic hockey style.. I thought we played well under Horachek..
I missed the game tonight, so I would guess this was not a good example of Larsson or Greene's best. Even Kuli finally netted one.

Matheson, whom I have never been a big fan is actually starting to show some consistency in the AHL. There has never been a doubt on his ability to carry the puck up ice, the questions have always been about consistent defense and making the smart pass. He has even scored more than expected, so he is definitely looking like more of an option if Soup leaves after this season. They are playing Weegar more and even though other teams have gotten players behind him, he is looking much better than last year. The answers to consistent breakouts may actually be in our own system down in the AHL and the maturity of the existing group of young guys.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
:clap: Bravo :clap: Bravo

Im not some apologist for GG, i dont have strong feelings about him either way. But to suggest his "system" or "instructions" or whatever for things like breaking in and out of zones is "dump the puck" is just weird... Obviously he would like clean passes, fast first steps to beat the direct opponent, the smarts to make the right choice, but ultimately only the players can execute. If they can't do those things and have no other option, dumping the puck is necessary, and not because "its the system". Every player in the league will dump the puck when under pressure, its not something unique to GG's players. The best teams, which have the best players, are under extreme pressure less often and hence can control the puck longer. Brokin youve explained the finer details perfectly.

Good news is that over the last 10 games i (and i assume we) have seen players like trochek and kampfer really step up and improve our efficiency in breakin/outs in their respective zones (Barky still our teams best, Smith and Ek pretty good at this too).
Yeah it's very difficult to break a good forechecking team unless you have the players to do it on a consistent basis. The breakouts have been better lately as Huby, Tro, Barkov, and Smith have come back to help out. The key in many instances is gaining the respect from the other team that they are going to pay if they get too aggressive.

The system is in place for good breakouts, it's just the players have had it drilled into their heads about cross ice passes that create turnovers. In other words if it's not there, don't force it, just use the boards to get the puck out of the zone and reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad