Fire Gallant -- We need to save this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Despite our awful record lately we're still not far out from a playoff spot.

This team struggles to score 5 on 5 and Gallant doesn't do the team any favors by giving a majority of the offensive starts to our non-scoring players.

He plays Thornton who is useless. He plays Rocco who is useless. He refused to play Brickely who is a perfect fit on the fourth line. He can play a physical game and chip in some much needed offense. An obvious upgrade over Rocco and Thornton.

He takes forever to make adjustments -- See Trocheck and Pirri constantly being scratched last season. He still hasn't tried Bjugstad on the wing even though we can't score.

The effort is inconsistent. Some of this is on the players but part of the coach's job is to get his team ready and motivate them.

He seems to be okay with losing with his comments to the media.

We're about 25% of the way through and I thought we'd sneak in but now I don't think we will with Gallant as coach. If Tallon wants to keep his job this team needs to make the playoffs and I no longer have any confidence in Gallant to get us there.

vektorious

Nov 19, 2009
I don't post often, but as a season seat owner and die hard fan I must say that I truly have lost faith in any chance of the post season this year on our current course. Gallant just does not make decisions that make sense and we continue to not score. Brickley being sent down is where this slide began and we had a great 4th line when brickley Mac and howden were on that line. Grimaldi is obviously not NHL ready and is ineffective. Thornton should not play at all If we want any chance of winning. I also see a complete lack of effort and will from our players. I feel that is a product of Gallant not coaching the players. He doesn't even go into the locker room after games. Thats not how you rally the troops and get a team going. We need a shake up and I think it starts with a coaching change and a trade of our first pick and some assets for a player who can put the puck in the net. Most of the boys are underperforming this year..... Somethings gotta give...

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Is Boudreau still on the chopping block?

No seriously though, I'm not sure how safe Gallant is but if we were to get a new coach, I'd want us to go with an NHL veteran type coach. No more hiring of coaches with little or no NHL head coaching experience.

-ghoste

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

No seriously though, I'm not sure how safe Gallant is but if we were to get a new coach, I'd want us to go with an NHL veteran type coach. No more hiring of coaches with little or no NHL head coaching experience.

-ghoste

Agree. Someone with an offensive system too.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
He takes forever to make adjustments -- See Trocheck and Pirri constantly being scratched last season. He still hasn't tried Bjugstad on the wing even though we can't score.
Not a good combination on the 3rd line with three smaller guys. You need to have at least one physical presence down low who can skate and cause havoc. Who????? Yeah, Brickley. Oh but he needs to work on his skills and PK down in the AHL.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014

-ghoste
Lotsa luck with that. Anyone that is any good is taken, and the rest are all retreads that would want a kings ransom to come here.

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
I'm convinced Tallon is backseat coaching this team... In my opinion, He wouldn't ever get a coach with experience that wouldn't agree with his decisions.

Tallon has to go before we give him the cap space we're going to have this offseason, the thought of him signing another one of "his guys" scares the **** out of me.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
No wait, Randy Carlyle. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Carlyle is nowhere near as bad as the Leafs made him look. He lost the team and the locker room with the likes of Kessel there.

With that said, I don't know if he's the answer, but Gerard Gallant sure isn't.

His coaching decisions are questionable AT BEST. He pumps out that 4th line so often it makes me sick.

Derek MacKenzie averages OVER 12 minutes of ice time a game. What the hell? He's a 4th liner!!! He should be getting 10 minutes TOPS. Regardless, that's just nitpicking.

I don't notice strategy improvements. The lineup is a mess. Everything about this team is a mess. A coaching change won't even solve our problems. We need new personnel. We need better defense. I think too many of our guys have trouble moving the puck up ice. Having a pairing of Mitchel AND Gudbranson is just awful. Two big, slow guys who don't move the puck that well. Guds is still good but Mitchell has aged 100 years in 1.

A coaching change is a start, but the team needs other moves, but Tallon just didn't do it this year. Not sure if ownership tied his hands, but we didn't do anything to actually improve this team. We traded Jimmy Hayes for Reilly Smith, that's about it....

What we needed to do was take the next step. Not trust the kids AGAIN LIKE WE HAVE 1000000 TIMES BEFORE AND IT BLEW UP IN OUR FACE. No, we needed to continue to surround them with quality players. Not ****ing Jussi Jokinen and Dave god damn Bolland. We needed to acquire the likes of Patrick Sharp or something of that stature. Someone who has proven themselves in this league.

At this point, it's not just Gallant who needs to go. Tallon does too. This past off-season was a complete farce and there's no excuse for the team not going out there and trying to take the next step. Instead they once again pressured the kids to "get it done" and offered them literally no support. 80% of this team is COMPLETELY inept on the offensive side of the puck and it shows night in and night out. DT has had every opportunity with this team but it's clear with his decisions he cannot take this team to the "next level". Cut ties and move on from him.

A new coach is just step one of a 15 step process. It's time to start moving some of these "assets" for proven NHL scoring. Something that should have happened in June, not December.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
After the western road trip? Sure, we could have considered it, if the team still continued to play the same way to this day.

But now after the last 4 games? Ehm, doesn't really make much sense. For better or worse, we'll sink or swim with Gallant. If it's any consolation, he'll be gone at the end of the season along with Tallon if the team doesn't make it to the playoffs.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
Its simple. NO ONE wants to coach in Florida. We are the least desirable franchise. Since our young core which is proving to only really have 2 players shining through (barkov and ekblad), we have nothing else really to look forward to. We either need to strike gold with an unproven coach, or get the constant retreads that only a crap team like us are good for. Retirement checks.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I do not think Tallon has the power to fire another coach. I also do not think Panthers management is as worried about this team as HF is.

I am not sure if Kelly or Madden are better than Gallant. Any other names are pointless to discuss, Tallon will definitely not be allowed to bring in a coach not in the system.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I do not think Tallon has the power to fire another coach. I also do not think Panthers management is as worried about this team as HF is.

I am not sure if Kelly or Madden are better than Gallant. Any other names are pointless to discuss, Tallon will definitely not be allowed to bring in a coach not in the system.

You're being too reasonable. You're supposed to post standing over the ledge.

Overall this is a bad idea. You'd have no clue how many teams' fans want their coaches fired. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Carlyle is nowhere near as bad as the Leafs made him look. He lost the team and the locker room with the likes of Kessel there.

With that said, I don't know if he's the answer, but Gerard Gallant sure isn't.

His coaching decisions are questionable AT BEST. He pumps out that 4th line so often it makes me sick.

Derek MacKenzie averages OVER 12 minutes of ice time a game. What the hell? He's a 4th liner!!! He should be getting 10 minutes TOPS. Regardless, that's just nitpicking.

I don't notice strategy improvements. The lineup is a mess. Everything about this team is a mess. A coaching change won't even solve our problems. We need new personnel. We need better defense. I think too many of our guys have trouble moving the puck up ice. Having a pairing of Mitchel AND Gudbranson is just awful. Two big, slow guys who don't move the puck that well. Guds is still good but Mitchell has aged 100 years in 1.

A coaching change is a start, but the team needs other moves, but Tallon just didn't do it this year. Not sure if ownership tied his hands, but we didn't do anything to actually improve this team. We traded Jimmy Hayes for Reilly Smith, that's about it....

What we needed to do was take the next step. Not trust the kids AGAIN LIKE WE HAVE 1000000 TIMES BEFORE AND IT BLEW UP IN OUR FACE. No, we needed to continue to surround them with quality players. Not ****ing Jussi Jokinen and Dave god damn Bolland. We needed to acquire the likes of Patrick Sharp or something of that stature. Someone who has proven themselves in this league.

At this point, it's not just Gallant who needs to go. Tallon does too. This past off-season was a complete farce and there's no excuse for the team not going out there and trying to take the next step. Instead they once again pressured the kids to "get it done" and offered them literally no support. 80% of this team is COMPLETELY inept on the offensive side of the puck and it shows night in and night out. DT has had every opportunity with this team but it's clear with his decisions he cannot take this team to the "next level". Cut ties and move on from him.

A new coach is just step one of a 15 step process. It's time to start moving some of these "assets" for proven NHL scoring. Something that should have happened in June, not December.
Never going to happen unless we start going after some prospective top scorers in the draft from the 1st round right through the draft. Look at Brayden Point who Tampa drafted in the 3rd round at 5'9"/160 lbs in 2014. Now he's 5'11" and putting on weight. He has 18 goals in 19 games in the WHL. Tampa is smart and they have an excellent scouting dept that knows how to draft guys that can put the puck in the net. Tallon's scouting dept just doesn't have a clue on where to find these guys except throwing darts at pictures and then drafting some guy that impressed Tallon at the combine because he could do a lot of pullups and was already 5'10"/192. Not saying Jayce won't be a good player, but Tallon has a hard time looking beyond the present when drafting players.

ebulldog

Mar 25, 2015
Read all of the posts each game just not a regular poster, but its clear that Tallon's "blue print" for this team is just not working. Every off season the talk is how the next round of young kids are going to make the roster and make a difference but it just never works out. I see other teams and their kids come up and make a regular difference in games. We have guys that play good for 1 game and then go into ghost mode for 5. Why??
For me Tallon is just not getting it done here and the hiring of Gallant whether it was Dale or Viola and Cifu's call isn't working either.
At another 20 game point, in another season its clear to all that this is not a playoff team again and if that happens this franchise will lose more season ticket holders that it cannot afford to lose and then it will head into another offseason with rebuild written all over it if a GM and coaching change happens.
I don't really know how many more of those I can deal with.

ebulldog

Mar 25, 2015

Overall this is a bad idea. You'd have no clue how many teams' fans want their coaches fired. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

True, but you cannot fire the players, so the coach is always the one to go when the team is struggling or not playing like upper management thinks they should.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

What do you think Gallant does well?

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
What do you think Gallant does well?

The coach in hockey is typically just a scapegoat. None of us are in the room so we can't ever fully know what's going on. We can only evaluate based on results.

In saying that, I think he's done a good job with what he's been giving. Biggest improvement in the league last season.

Sure we all want it now but in reality our core is still so young. People usually don't mention that the first drafts in our rebuilding days were just not very good drafts (and the playoffs season messed us up). So even though Tallon will likely take the blame for this team not taking the next step soon enough, Tallon has done a great job building through the draft with what he's been given (recall that Tallon is typically only responsible for the first round selection so the lack of steals isn't his fault). Our core players are 19, 20, 21, etc. Based on this our prime years realistically are still 5 years down the road. There are going to be ups and downs now, just have to expect it and wait it out. And no, the 17 years or whatever before Tallon are not relevant at all to this team. Just because the team sucked then doesn't mean we get the right to skip the suffering of this current rebuild.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
He was actually up in the press box one night watching a game at BBT a few weeks ago.
Probably doing some scouting. Good guy and knows the game, and unfortunately with a coach it's all about timing and the quality of players your given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad