Player Discussion Fire Dustin Schwartz

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Skinner looks like a completely different goalie since Coffey and Knoblauch arrived here. Much more engaged, following the puck better, less static, quicker side to side, rarely gives up on plays. Post coverage much better.

Perhaps Dustin had an epiphany or maybe Skinner's finally receiving some other day-to-day coaching. Quite the turnaround from the last decade or so though.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Skinner looks like a completely different goalie since Coffey and Knoblauch arrived here. Much more engaged, following the puck better, less static, quicker side to side, rarely gives up on plays. Post coverage much better.

Perhaps Dustin had an epiphany or maybe Skinner's finally receiving some other day-to-day coaching. Quite the turnaround from the last decade or so though.
I know we all know this, but the defensive structure is light years better than they were the last couple of years.

Yes, Skinner looks way better, but I think
lot of it is the confidence knowing that Nurse isn't going to try and defend 3 guys at the same time, Bouchard isn't going to give up an odd man rush every shift, Desharnais isn't going to look like a baby giraffe, etc.

He has definitely bailed them out q few time over this streak, but it has to be easier for him when everyone doesn't panic, take bad penalties, and leave guy wide open as often anymore.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Huge congrats to Schwartzy for possibly being an average goalie coach instead of being an active detriment to the team.

I'll heap praise on the guy when he can make suspect goalies better
If it means anything I was never that big on Skinner as an elite goalie. I thought a capable back up. Does that count?

Reactions: harpoon

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
If it means anything I was never that big on Skinner as an elite goalie. I thought a capable back up. Does that count?
That where I was as well. Still am to be honest. Skinner does look a lot better in the crease but I’m going to want to see more than a twenty game streak before feeling comfortable that the 1A position is set for this team. Winning the SC would go a long way toward assuaging that doubt of course.

As for Schwartz, not sure why people are heaping credit on him all of sudden. Did Skinner suddenly start listening to his ‘expert’ advice after years? That doesn’t make sense at all. Far more likely that Skinner pulled himself up with hard work and improved mental fortitude. No reason that I can see for Schwartz to have survived so many coaching changes. If goaltending had been the lone bright spot on the team for years, or if he had a pedigree like say Burke, then yeah, I could see keeping him on while others were let go. In my opinion he’s very fortunate to still have employment.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
That where I was as well. Still am to be honest. Skinner does look a lot better in the crease but I’m going to want to see more than a twenty game streak before feeling comfortable that the 1A position is set for this team. Winning the SC would go a long way toward assuaging that doubt of course.

As for Schwartz, not sure why people are heaping credit on him all of sudden. Did Skinner suddenly start listening to his ‘expert’ advice after years? That doesn’t make sense at all. Far more likely that Skinner pulled himself up with hard work and improved mental fortitude. No reason that I can see for Schwartz to have survived so many coaching changes. If goaltending had been the lone bright spot on the team for years, or if he had a pedigree like say Burke, then yeah, I could see keeping him on while others were let go. In my opinion he’s very fortunate to still have employment.
This is the problem. You can't shit on the goalie coach when the guys are crap, then say he has nothing to do with their success when they are good.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
This is the problem. You can't shit on the goalie coach when the guys are crap, then say he has nothing to do with their success when they are good.
Sure I can. With the team playing a clearly improved brand of responsible hockey in front of him, and Skinner being only about twenty games removed from being among the (statistically) worst goalies in the league, you’ll excuse me if I’m not rushing to credit Schwartz of all people for the turnaround.

• Wow
Reactions: Stoneman89

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Sure I can. With the team playing a clearly improved brand of responsible hockey in front of him, and Skinner being only about twenty games removed from being among the (statistically) worst goalies in the league, you’ll excuse me if I’m not rushing to credit Schwartz of all people for the turnaround.
Schwartz may be an awful coach. But I always find it difficult to blame someone when things are bad and then say they get no credit when things are good. . If Schwartz is bad, then the goalies will be bad, but if goalies are good, can Schwartz only be bad? And as always the truth probably lays in the middle, because if Schwartz was only bad, that information doesn't float away from every goalie he is coached. It goes somewhere.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Amazing what one game can do. Prior to last night, Pickard could do no wrong, people were speaking about him as the backup answer and a capable short term starter should Skinner falter, and even extending him. Now, he's just as much a pariah and problem as Skinner is.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
People get hyped up about the good streaks and angry about the lows

If you can separate the team play (when it is good and bad) from the actual goaltender, it is easier to form an opinion.

Thus far, it seems as though Skinner can put up great #'s if this team can play almost flawless defense (which is impossible). ANy goalie would put up good #'s

The issue is how good is he when we do allow more chances against him? Not get clobbered, but allow more (even if we out chance the other team).

Does his goaltending form and prowess make everybody feel safe? Is he a guy that can withstand some big pressure and not allow a weak goal in every game?

That's what our scouts are paid to look at.

So far, I would say he has failed pretty large outside of that streak.

Reactions: Puljulainen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad