Fire Deboer

Status
Not open for further replies.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

For some background

Yeah Cooper has his team on a historic pace and Trotz and Tocchet have young squads that are doing more with less. Deboer has a roster with the two of the top defensemen in the world and incredible forward depth and he continues to get in his own way. I’d wager that if DW had fired Deboer and hired Trotz that we’d be right behind Tampa this season. He’s done wonders for the Islanders especially when you factor in them losing JT91.

Reactions: Bleedred

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah Cooper has his team on a historic pace and Trotz and Tocchet have young squads that are doing more with less. Deboer has a roster with the two of the top defensemen in the world and incredible forward depth and he continues to get in his own way. I’d wager that if DW had fired Deboer and hired Trotz that we’d be right behind Tampa this season. He’s done wonders for the Islanders especially when you factor in them losing JT91.

This team with Barry Trotz behind the bench would be ridiculous. I wonder if DW even reached out to him.

Reactions: ChompChomp

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The further we get from that era, the less convinced I am that Tmac was ever that good.
He isn't.

I think he's worse than DeBoer, I even thought that when I was dead against the DeBoer hiring from the start.

It's kind of like choosing between throwing up and having diarrhea. Whatever one you'd rather do if you had to choose either, it's DeBoer. And whatever one wouldn't be your first choice, it would be McLellan.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
This team with Barry Trotz behind the bench would be ridiculous. I wonder if DW even reached out to him.

Being that Deboer accompanied Wilson to the Tavares meeting, I seriously doubt it. If Doug and Hasso wanted Trotz, money would have been no problem.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
He isn't.

I think he's worse than DeBoer, I even thought that when I was dead against the DeBoer hiring from the start.

It's kind of like choosing between throwing up and having diarrhea. Whatever one you'd rather do if you had to choose either, it's DeBoer. And whatever one wouldn't be your first choice, it would be McLellan.

McLellan has to be vomiting in this analogy given his interviews, right?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
McLellan has to be vomiting in this analogy given his interviews, right?
I hate throwing up. I rarely ever do it and I really destroy myself when I do it, as I'm using muscles that don't get used very often, due to my lack of throwing up. I'm a real baby about throwing up. So I'd say, McLellan is the puke, DeBoer is the diarrhea for me.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Coaches work in different contexts. Some coaches will work very well on certain teams and not well on others. Of course, this means talent, but also temperament, maturity, etc.

The main criticism of McLellan, outside of some odd lineup decisions, was that he never got the team playing the attacking, fast, quick style of hockey that would have been very useful against the teams that beat them in the playoffs. It is clear, at least to me, that McLellan just didn't have players who could consistently play that way. He tried to implement Detroit's system...probably because he was from there, but also because it makes a lot of sense for the team (probably why they hired him). Looking at their big forwards with high-end passing ability, the defensive acumen, and the lack of speed, it made sense. And the system was very effective until it came up against those truly elite teams who knew how to beat it and had the tools to do so.

Had TMac had better forwards who could make adjustments on the fly, a superstar transitional defenseman, and/or a goaltender who could handle low-event games, it would have been a championship-winning system. IMO, in hindsight, he implemented the best system for the team he had.

When it comes to Edmonton, McLellan deserves far more criticism as he tried to shoehorn the Detroit system on a team that didn't have the defensive acumen, talent, or maturity to implement it. On the other hand, he's one of many coaches who failed to implement a working system (and the only one to get them to the playoffs). Babcock has done it properly; tweaking his system for Toronto and letting the players grow into it. Of course, he has a much better supporting staff and a better management team.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I actually am quite fond of the guy, but I absolutely would fire PDB in that case if either quenneville or Hedican want the job

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Serious question.

If we go into the playoffs with a healthy roster (minus Simek) and still lose to Vegas in the 1st round, does PDB get fired?

Doubtful. The easy out is goaltending so it'd be interesting if they saw it that way to see what they'd do about it given Jones' contract and the organization's lack of anyone being ready for that role. After giving DeBoer an extension, I have a hard time believing that this organization would fire him and pay another coach. That and if worst case scenario of all UFA's walking and/or retiring, what would be the point?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Doubtful. The easy out is goaltending so it'd be interesting if they saw it that way to see what they'd do about it given Jones' contract and the organization's lack of anyone being ready for that role. After giving DeBoer an extension, I have a hard time believing that this organization would fire him and pay another coach. That and if worst case scenario of all UFA's walking and/or retiring, what would be the point?
I think if we have a 1st round exit AND EK65 does not re-sign, the bigger question will become if DW is on the hot seat. I don't think EK65 not re-signing would be on DW but since he is the GM he made the trade, I would think he would be held responsible for that anyway.

Also, losing to the same team two years in a row? I mean I agree that you can blame goal tending for that but that would just be an easy out like you said. The bigger problem would end up being the team defense which is on PDB.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think if we have a 1st round exit AND EK65 does not re-sign, the bigger question will become if DW is on the hot seat. I don't think EK65 not re-signing would be on DW but since he is the GM he made the trade, I would think he would be held responsible for that anyway.

Also, losing to the same team two years in a row? I mean I agree that you can blame goal tending for that but that would just be an easy out like you said. The bigger problem would end up being the team defense which is on PDB.

I'm sure DW would be on the hot seat but I think that he'd be given another year to see how he addresses the spot that is left behind in that scenario and whatever other spots are open in the fallout. I'm also sure DeBoer would be on the hot seat but I just don't think they'd pull the trigger on either of them regardless this off-season.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
ITs crazy to give a coach an extension before you see how he does at the end of the year. This team always performs well during the regular season. With this roster he should be graded on how well he does in the postseason

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012

I don't see how Hasso can blame EK65 not resigning on Wilson when they both flew out to see Karlsson before the trade. Hasso 100% signed off on that so it would make no sense to fire someone because a player they knew was a flight risk didn't resign.

If the Sharks fail it's 100% on Jones/PDB/Injuries. I can't put any of that on Wilson. Despite how everyone here thinks, I'd argue PDB is still an above average coach and was really good in the 2016 playoffs, lead us to the 2nd round with a banged up team and has us top 5 in the league again this year. I guess that's on Wilson if he coaches like a moron in the playoffs and we get destroyed but I dont see PDB being the reason we lose a series. Jones sucks this year and that contract isn't great but given who he was before the extension I can't really fault Wilson for betting on him when he did to get a lower cap hit. Imagine if Jones continued to get better and suddenly he wants 6-7m a year...you're really going to let him walk?

Wilson bought himself 3-5 years in my opinion based on the 2016 run and the team he built this year. He revamped the our scouting/drafting which everyone wanted and he got Kane/Karlsson for next to nothing.

I continue to wonder what would make people on this board happy besides a cup. You can't demand perfection...it's not a realistic ask. I'd rather be the Sharks than the Oilers/Ducks/Coyotes/ect

Reactions: jMoneyBrah
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad