GDT: Finland vs Germany

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I didn't realize this, but fifteen years ago german head coach Söderholm and assistant Peltonen played in the world champs alongside Kontiola who still plays in the worlds.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
The football euro starts in a week, Finland is playing its first tournament. How many people will watch this tournament and will something change in the perception of people around football? Will it be more popular?

nonoob12

Jun 16, 2012
I didn't realize this, but fifteen years ago german head coach Söderholm and assistant Peltonen played in the world champs alongside Kontiola who still plays in the worlds.
Another interesting fact is, that in 2012 both Ville Peltonen and Toni Söderholm actually played together in the national team under Jalonen at EHC. :D I'm pretty sure they played against Germany back then also but I am not sure about that: Leijonien MM-ryhmä täydentyi - Anttila tippui

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
The football euro starts in a week, Finland is playing its first tournament. How many people will watch this tournament and will something change in the perception of people around football? Will it be more popular?
Hopefully Finland gets beaten to a pulp and it is quickly forgotten. So many of Finland's talents choose sport later than in Sweden between these two. Football success can screw ice hockey big time.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland

The viewership will be massive. Finland has about 20-25 percent chance to qualify into the round of 16. Their shots on target will probably be few and far between and they're likely to finish 4th in their group. If this happens, many people will cheekily say "see, I knew they're not any good at this".

But there are a lot of football fanatics in Finland who have zealously followed our national football team for years (or even decades) because they think it's more trendy and cosmopolitan than watching hockey. Many of these football aficionados always cheer for Finland's opponents during the IIHF worlds. They think people who get so excited about a second rate tournament of such a small sport are a bunch of rednecks who have no idea of what actually matters in sports.

These football hipsters have very mixed feelings about Finland's participation in the Euros. On the other hand they wouldn't mind the sport becoming more popular and Finland regularly qualifying for major tournaments, but they'd also like to keep the peasants away from the stands. They're very proud of their trendy clothes and hold utter contempt for hockey fans who treat the IIHF worlds as a yearly spring festival and dress something like this:

1852306.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Elias40 and mattihp

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
The viewership will be massive. Finland has about 20-25 percent chance to qualify into the round of 16. Their shots on target will probably be few and far between and they're likely to finish 4th in their group. If this happens, many people will cheekily say "see, I knew they're not any good at this".

But there are a lot of football fanatics in Finland who have zealously followed our national football team for years (or even decades) because they think it's more trendy and cosmopolitan than watching hockey. Many of these football aficionados always cheer for Finland's opponents during the IIHF worlds. They think people who get so excited about a second rate tournament of such a small sport are a bunch of rednecks who have no idea of what actually matters in sports.

These football hipsters have very mixed feelings about Finland's participation in the Euros. On the other hand they wouldn't mind the sport becoming more popular and Finland regularly qualifying for major tournaments, but they'd also like to keep the peasants away from the stands. They're very proud of their trendy clothes and hold utter contempt for hockey fans who treat the IIHF worlds as a yearly spring festival and dress something like this:

1852306.jpg
I don’t want to be rude, but your chances is not 20 % more like 10 %.

Reactions: mattihp

member 305909

Finland plays just about every year in the medal-games of hockey when as this good be once in a lifetime experience for Finland in a major football-tournament.

Maybe maybe not but Finland will never become a regular qualifier.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Getting to play in the Euros is already a great achievement. Everything coming after that is just not that important. The team along with the coach of course sets the goal to make it further than the preliminary round. I gues the idea is to get blown away by Belgia, getting one point from Denmark and winning over Russia (they aren't much higher on Fifa-rankings).

member 305909

If the 24 teams that qualified for the euros played a league Finland would be helplessly at positions 21-24 but three group matches are random events where surprises can happen.

Remember Teemu Pukki's Norwich last year? They had a very good winning streak at one point but in the long run they just weren't good enough and relegated.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Finland plays just about every year in the medal-games of hockey when as this good be once in a lifetime experience for Finland in a major football-tournament.

Maybe maybe not but Finland will never become a regular qualifier.

I started watching the IIHF worlds as a smallish boy in 1989. I still remember seeing Finland get eliminated by the USA in 1991. I was very angry and disappointed but my mom told me that I'd better get used to it. She said she knew from decades of experience that Finland will never medal in the world championships.

Her prediction wasn't entirely accurate. They've made it to the last 4 a few times since then.

member 305909

I started watching the IIHF worlds as a smallish boy in 1989. I still remember seeing Finland get eliminated by the USA in 1991. I was very angry and disappointed but my mom told me that I'd better get used to it. She said she knew from decades of experience that Finland will never medal in the world championships.

Her prediction wasn't entirely accurate. They've made it to the last 4 a few times since then.

In those 8 team tournaments Finland always narrowly missed the medal round, except in 1986, and had to play three boring games in the relegation round where the had no fear of relegation as the teams carried the points from the first round.

In 1991 it was especially boring as there was no relegation as the tournament expanded to 12 teams in the following year.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Given what happened in 1992, your mom's statement didn't exactly age like fine wine.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad