Olympics: Finland Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Some under 30s there. So replace Lajunen with Jalasvaara, Koskinen with Rämö, Hovinen with Kilpeläinen and Hartikainen with Kiiskinen :sarcasm:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
So do you guys think Tolvanen is locked to be in the final team at the moment? The dude hasn't scored in like forever now and that's what we expect from him.

I'm a big fan of Tolvanen but Marjamäki & Lehtinen need to choose the players that are currently hot for the team which Tolvanen is not right now.

The roster announcement date is coming soon so perhaps Marjamäki will choose him anyways since Jokerit will have games before the tournament begins and if Tolvanen's cold streak continues that might determine whether he will be inside the active roster or not.

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
So do you guys think Tolvanen is locked to be in the final team at the moment? The dude hasn't scored in like forever now and that's what we expect from him.

I'm a big fan of Tolvanen but Marjamäki & Lehtinen need to choose the players that are currently hot for the team which Tolvanen is not right now.

The roster announcement date is coming soon so perhaps Marjamäki will choose him anyways since Jokerit will have games before the tournament begins and if Tolvanen's cold streak continues that might determine whether he will be inside the active roster or not.

Definitely not a lock. It pretty much comes down to how much Marjamäki values Eeli's goal scoring potential.

Having watched all of Eeli's games this season, he hasn't been bad, or in any ways a liability on ice. He's just very snakebitten at the moment, getting multiple high danger scoring chances every game. His center O'neill has also had some troubles after his injury, which has affected Eeli's game also.

If i was Marjamäki I would pick Eeli on the team because of his goal scoring potential. He's also in no means a one-trick pony, as his playmaking skills are also very good.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Yes he's pretty well rounded nowadays but if he's in the active roster he will play power play and on that power play we need some guys that are on fire. He will probably score some goals in the upcoming games before the Olympics and then this speculation can be forgotten, hopefully.

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
It's true that in an short tournament like the Olympics, it's important to play guys who are on fire, and frankly Eeli doesn't fit that description as of late, despite doing the right things on ice. There's still a couple more games left, so let's hope indeed that he earns his spot on the team by scoring a couple goals.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Talking about whos on fire; Ville Meskanen. How about adding Meskanen's name to talks.
vs Lukko 2+1, today: 3+0 (after 2 periods)

January: 6+5=11 | This season: 18+18=36

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I personally wouldn't mind Vesalainen but I think it's pretty unrealistic because Vesalainen's name hasn't been brought up at all in media as a potential selection and knowing the way the Finnish head coach operates.

Interesting that Tolvanen was the 13th forward today in Jokerit's game and didn't get to play.
EDIT: He played 4 shifts apparently if it matters...

The team announcement tomorrow will be very interesting regarding Tolvanen and injured Heiskanen.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Team Finland Olympic Roster

Mikko Koskinen, SKA St. Petersburg
Juha Metsola, Amur Khabarovsk
Karri Rämö, Jokerit

Miro Heiskanen, HIFK
Juuso Hietanen, Dynamo Moscow
Tommi Kivistö, Jokerit
Miika Koivisto, Kärpät
Lasse Kukkonen, Kärpät
Mikko Lehtonen, Tappara
Sami Lepistö, Jokerit
Atte Ohtamaa, AK Bars Kazan

Marko Anttila, Jokerit
Jonas Enlund, Sibir Novosibirsk
Teemu Hartikainen, Salavat Yulaev Ufa
Julius Junttila, Kärpät
Joonas Kemppainen, Salavat Yulaev Ufa
Petri Kontiola, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Jarno Koskiranta, SKA St. Petersburg
Jani Lajunen, HC Lugano
Sakari Manninen, Örebro HK
Oskar Osala, Metallurg Magnitogorsk
Jukka Peltola, Tappara
Mika Pyörälä, SC Bern
Veli-Matti Savinainen, Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk
Eeli Tolvanen, Jokerit

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Peltola and Enlund were kinda unexpected but nothing too eath shattering with these picks. Kukkonen in once again.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Peltola and Enlund were kinda unexpected but nothing too eath shattering with these picks. Kukkonen in once again.
Peltola probably made it because Pihlström got injured.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Jokipakka goes from World cup team to not making a weak euro-team. His career is in a quite downward spiral.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Is it per IOC rules or Finnish Hockey Federation rules that you must include Kukkonen in your team? Just asking.
Both of them. It's determined in the IOC addendum L455-E, which FIHA has implemented as-is.

Lineup prediction:

Koskinen (Rämö)

Lepistö - Hietanen
Heiskanen - Lehtonen
Kivistö - Koivisto
Kukkonen - Ohtamaa

Enlund - Kontiola - Tolvanen
Hartikainen - Kemppainen - Junttila
Pyörälä - Koskiranta - Manninen
Osala - Lajunen - Anttila
+Savinainen, Peltola

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
I'm glad that Kivistö and Tolvanen made the team. Kivistö was a bit surprise, as he didn't play in EHT games, but he certainly deserved the spot. He has been rock solid defensively this year.

As for Tolvanen, team Finland's biggest problem has always been goal scoring, and I really hope Tolvanen can overcome his slump and be the sniper everyone knows he can be.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Surprise inclusions: Osala, Metsola and Enlund
Suprise omission: Jokipakka
Can agree with the rest, but I don't see an NT staple like Osala being surprising in the least, even though he didn't feature on either of the EHT tournaments.

And well, we have around a dozen names in Europe who could have been the third string goalie. Metsola being the pick out of them was not really neither an expected move nor a surprise.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Both of them. It's determined in the IOC addendum L455-E, which FIHA has implemented as-is.

Lineup prediction:

Koskinen (Rämö)

Lepistö - Hietanen
Heiskanen - Lehtonen
Kivistö - Koivisto
Kukkonen - Ohtamaa

Enlund - Kontiola - Tolvanen
Hartikainen - Kemppainen - Junttila
Pyörälä - Koskiranta - Manninen
Osala - Lajunen - Anttila
+Savinainen, Peltola

Peltola in for 1st line and Enlund to 14th forward. Otherwise looks plausible.

I can guarantee that Enlund doesnt get too many minutes in this tournament.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Peltola in for 1st line and Enlund to 14th forward. Otherwise looks plausible.

I can guarantee that Enlund doesnt get too many minutes in this tournament.
Enlund has been pretty hot lately. 5+8 in twelve games over the last month. Marjamäki even cited that as the reason for picking him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad