WC: Finland 2024 roster talk

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
There is a thread already about Canada, Czechs and USA, so its about time the finns have one. Jalonens last season. Finns where a dispointment last WC, are they gonna bounce back? I guess its possible Jalonen the master wants some new players, some fresh blood

Everyone want NHLers, but not realistic many of them comes

Could any AHLers get a invite?

Any U20 who is ready?

The great Antilla has retired from the NT :(

A team with only Euro players;

Larmi
Heljanko
Säteri

Lehtonen - Vatanen
Niku - Pokka
Seppälä - Kemiläinen

Manninen - Suomela - Levtchi
Kossila - Kuokkanen - Pajuniemi
Lammikko - Borgström - Oksanen
Mäenalanen - Björninen - Salomäki

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

Why not? He is a pretty unique player by Finnish standards. Big right handed center who can do it all and is excelent on the faceoff circle and can play big minutes on pk and defensive situations. I think he is miles ahead of someone like Borgsrtöm or Kossila in Jalonen's papers.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Why not? He is a pretty unique player by Finnish standards. Big right handed center who can do it all and is excelent on the faceoff circle and can play big minutes on pk and defensive situations. I think he is miles ahead of someone like Borgsrtöm or Kossila in Jalonen's papers.
Im sure he is decent, but 24 points in liiga? Kossila and Borgström is PPG

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Hyry has been line-mates with Marko Anttila for the majority of the Liiga season so he has a pretty good mentor there. Wouldn't be surprised if he is on the team. Might not be a player who plays every game

• Wow
Reactions: Eye of Ra

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Curious as to where Lulea forward Olli Nikupeteri fits in the Finland forward group. Was there a reason he played in the Lulea system rather than playing A and B juniors in Finland?

And how has his game developed in comparison to Finnish players his age?

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Curious as to where Lulea forward Olli Nikupeteri fits in the Finland forward group. Was there a reason he played in the Lulea system rather than playing A and B juniors in Finland?

And how has his game developed in comparison to Finnish players his age?
He is just a decent 4th liner in SHL, not good enough for the NT

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
Eemeli Suomi facts:

2015-16
2.png
Ilves
Liiga5541014
2016-17
2.png
Ilves
Liiga5521214
2017-18
2.png
Ilves
Liiga60172340
2018-19
2.png
Ilves "C"
Liiga49182139
2019-20
2.png
Ilves "C"
Liiga57263157
2020-21
2.png
Ilves "C"
Liiga52113647
2021-22
2.png
Ilves "C"
Liiga54193049
2022-23
2.png
Ilves "C"
Liiga46112536
2023-24
2.png
Ilves "C"
Liiga52213354

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
Suomi should be in. Some names not already mentioned is Koukkanen and maybe Koivunen. Unfortunately Hartikainen has fallen off a cliff production (and goalwise) this year.

From NHL: Maccelli, Granlund, Korpisalo, Armia. Not much there as it stands.

Kapanen, Tolvanen, Matinpalo, Vaakanainen, Jokiharju and Luukkonen all UFA/RFA.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Suomi should be in. Some names not already mentioned is Koukkanen and maybe Koivunen. Unfortunately Hartikainen has fallen off a cliff production (and goalwise) this year.

From NHL: Maccelli, Granlund, Korpisalo, Armia. Not much there

as it stands.

Kapanen, Tolvanen, Matinpalo, Vaakanainen, Jokiharju and Luukkonen all UFA/RFA.

With New Jersey faltering is this the year Erik Haula skates for Finland?

Reactions: Playmaker82

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
Could actually be. Last time in WC was 2014 and World Cup in 16. Has contract for 25/26, and doing quite well for Devils this year. 29p in 55g. Well spotted.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Haula isn't surefire player for 4 Nations so that should give a good motivation to join the team if he's healthy.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Haula isn't surefire player for 4 Nations so that should give a good motivation to join the team if he's healthy.

Personally I would easily have him on the team but you are right.

I don't expect a lot of NHL players to join and I think a bunch of familiar Euro players will decline as well because many of the best ones have represented Finland often during the recent years. Like I wouldn't be surprised if players like Lehtonen, Manninen, Granlund etc. wanted to have a longer summer holiday for once. The tournament isn't in Finland so that motivator is gone as well.

This year is a good opportunity to see some new faces on the team. I hope we get to see players like Huuhtanen, O.Kapanen and Koivunen or other young guys. Haula and Maccelli from the NHL would be great additions to the forward group. Sadly the defense will likely be weak. I know that Korpisalo's name won't excite anyone after this season, but he is available. Maybe the tournament could be a good opportunity for him to salvage the season and end it on a more positive note.

Anyway, should be pretty interesting to wait and see the team form in the next couple of months.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
The usual doom and gloom - write off the team's chances, claim that FIN* barely makes the top 8
- and then, just as usual, FIN*-CAN decide who wins the WHC
= SAME PROCEDURE AS EVERY YEAR ;)

FIN* = Northern Estonia

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
This year is a good opportunity to see some new faces on the team. I hope we get to see players like Huuhtanen, O.Kapanen and Koivunen or other young guys.
Some other names are Patrik Puistola, Juuso Mäenpää, Matias Mäntykivi, Jani Nyman, Aatu Jämsen and Petteri Puhakka. Lots of good youngsters in Liiga.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
The usual doom and gloom - write off the team's chances, claim that FIN* barely makes the top 8
- and then, just as usual, FIN*-CAN decide who wins the WHC
= SAME PROCEDURE AS EVERY YEAR ;)

FIN* = Northern Estonia

No one has written off FInland in this thread.

Some other names are Patrik Puistola, Juuso Mäenpää, Matias Mäntykivi, Jani Nyman, Aatu Jämsen and Petteri Puhakka. Lots of good youngsters in Liiga.

Nyman would be nice. I doubt all the young guys I mentioned will make the team. I just hope that some will.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Back to regular, Liiga all-stars team to the Worlds.

Maccelli - Haula(A) - Saarela
Oksanen - Suomela - Pajuniemi
Jääskä - Suomi - Hyry
Mäenalanen - Björninen(A) - Huuhtanen
Borgström, Erholtz

Seppälä - Saarijärvi
Leskinen - Laaksonen
Rissanen - Kemiläinen
Ohtamaa(C) - Lindbohm

Säteri
Heljanko
Larmi

PP
Huuhtanen(net front)
Maccelli(wall) - Haula(slot) - Saarela(wall)
Saarijärvi(point)

Oksanen(net front)
Suomi - Suomela(wall)
Pajuniemi - Kemiläinen(point)

PK
Björninen - Mäenalanen
Haula - Huuhtanen
Hyry - Oksanen

Reactions: Eye of Ra

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
What about "Poolparty" Puljujärvi? He's got a contract for next year and might be interesting to give him a chance to represent Winland again ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad