Euro: Final: Italy vs England (Part 3)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There isn't a "narrative". Players were racially abused, end of story. Just because they've only arrested 5 in England doesn't mean that every other post was coming out of another country. It's probably more closely linked to the anonymity of social media and Twitter in particular.

Nonsense, there are only 5 bigots in england. Anyone trying to claim that racism & xenophobia are endemic in english society, is just jealous.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottishCanuck

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
FWIW I think 90% of those are celebrations from Italian migrants in those places. Thanks to Italy's socio-economic deficiencies there's a lot of Italian workers in other European countries (and of course same in Canada/USA/Australia).

I think the majority of people in Europe wanted Italy to win, but not to the degree of going into the streets to quickly buy an Italy shirt and chant Italia, Italia..

Reactions: Jussi and Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
FWIW I think 90% of those are celebrations from Italian migrants in those places. Thanks to Italy's socio-economic deficiencies there's a lot of Italian workers in other European countries (and of course same in Canada/USA/Australia).

I think the majority of people in Europe wanted Italy to win, but not to the degree of going into the streets to quickly buy an Italy shirt and chant Italia, Italia..

I think the only country that might have wanted England to win was Greece due to the bad blood between them and the Italians.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
What bad blood?

Supposedly some Greeks don't like Italians for some reason. Not a 100% certain the reason why. My nonno's brother was stationed in Greece I think before ww2. He mentioned how he hated the way the men didn't do manual labor and forced their wives to do it.

The funny thing is our closest family friend who we call family is Greek.

Last edited:

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Supposedly some Greeks don't like Italians for some reason. Not a 100% certain. I don't know my nonno's brother was stationed in Greece I think before the ww2. He mentioned how he hated the way the men didn't do manual labor and forced their wives to do it.

The funny thing is our closest family friend who we call family is Greek.
Maybe that applies to a few really old Greeks who still hold some animosity due to Italy occupying part of Greece in WW2, but there is no doubt more Greeks cheered for Italy than England.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

When my family left Italy, we had very little and took what little we had (read: basically nothing) with us. We were fleeing mob violence and poor harvests. That was around 120 years ago. They felt they had no choice but to leave.

Honestly, I'm surprised. Italy football fans definitely neither expect nor demand significant support from anyone other than Italians themselves or those of Italian ancestry. Did enough people hate England so much they were willing to cheer for Italy?

Reactions: N o o d l e s

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Honestly, I'm surprised. Italy football fans definitely neither expect nor demand significant support from anyone other than Italians themselves or those of Italian ancestry. Did enough people hate England so much they were willing to cheer for Italy?

I think the 'world' was definitely cheering for Italy in this instance...which is of course a bit funny given that in the past a lot of times Italy were one of the 'villains' of the tournament (certainly seen that way in 06 for instance). But I think this time it was a mix of a lot of things that made people cheer against England. Some Brexit resentment in some corners, some annoyance with the English fans who perhaps came on just a bit too strong, sometimes just old rivalries being warmed up.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think the 'world' was definitely cheering for Italy in this instance...which is of course a bit funny given that in the past a lot of times Italy were one of the 'villains' of the tournament (certainly seen that way in 06 for instance). But I think this time it was a mix of a lot of things that made people cheer against England. Some Brexit resentment in some corners, some annoyance with the English fans who perhaps came on just a bit too strong, sometimes just old rivalries being warmed up.

That's certainly one way to put it :laugh:

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

I definitely don't remember anyone without ties to Italy cheering on the Italians back in 2006, and I think at least a little part of that was due to the style of play.

It's interesting you point out the Brexit stuff, because I cannot help but think that at least part of the anti-England sentiment had nothing to do with football itself (as opposed to Germans like @cgf being opposed to Italy purely for football reasons, which I would argue is sensible.)

Reactions: luiginb

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
I definitely don't remember anyone without ties to Italy cheering on the Italians back in 2006, and I think at least a little part of that was due to the style of play.

It's interesting you point out the Brexit stuff, because I cannot help but think that at least part of the anti-England sentiment had nothing to do with football itself (as opposed to Germans like @cgf being opposed to Italy purely for football reasons, which I would argue is sensible.)

Because the rivalry with Germany is real and certified unlike the one with France, if we talk about football of course.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Because the rivalry with Germany is real and certified unlike the one with France, if we talk about football of course.

Yeah, tons of respect for the way Italy played here and I would never say they didn't deserve this title...but this was certainly one tourney where I would not have minded seeing an "undeserving" champion :laugh:

Reactions: Incubajerks

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yeah, tons of respect for the way Italy played here and I would never say they didn't deserve this title...but this was certainly one tourney where I would not have minded seeing an "undeserving" champion :laugh:

One more title for the Spanish possession game would have been awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad