Euro: Final: Italy vs England (Part 3)

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Congratulations to Italy, after half time they dominated the game and fully deserved to win.

As an English fan I’m proud of the team for how far they got.

Italy though were the best and most consistent team at this tournament.

I look forward to seeing how far their unbeaten run lasts

They play Spain in October, and potentially also Belgium or France. If they can get through that, it might last until the World Cup.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
England will eventually win a tournament. That's just how it goes. But on paper, they will never have a better chance than that. There will never be a better looking draw or format on paper for them. The incidents today also brought into question their ability to host anything, so I doubt that'll happen. It will always be harder on paper than that.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
To the point about veteran leadership on the England squad should have pushed ahead of Saka for the PKs, basically the only remotely reasonable option they had in that regard is Sterling.

The other 5 who didn’t take PKs were the a FB who basically never scores (but scored his first international goal today), a central defender who also rarely scored, an attacker who is older but not really that much more experienced (Grealish), a midfielder who is older but not really more experienced (Phillips) and the keeper.

It’s not like England had some deep roster of well experienced internationals. Once you cleared the big names (Kane, Maguire, Rashford, etc) you’re left with a lot of inexperienced players or non-natural attackers.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
This reminds me of the Bruins losing cup at home ( bruins fan here.. When Cup is in building you gotta play with urgency and go for the throat. Bruins blew it . England actually started with that urgency and I thought they would coast. They sat back no posession. That's a recipe for disaster . I cant understand why they sat back. Someone had to take charge and say hey let's go for goal number 2 and bring it home. It is what it is and the pain could be for many years because you dont know when you can come back. I feel so bad for English fans .

Reactions: Kingspiracy

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Italy were the best team at this tournament. Well deserved.

England could've been the best. They absolutely had the better roster than Italy and any team in this tournament other than France, but their manager played afraid all tournament, and they got what a team that plays afraid often gets.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
This reminds me of the Bruins losing cup at home ( bruins fan here.. When Cup is in building you gotta play with urgency and go for the throat. Bruins blew it . England actually started with that urgency and I thought they would coast. They sat back no posession. That's a recipe for disaster . I cant understand why they sat back. Someone had to take charge and say hey let's go for goal number 2 and bring it home. It is what it is and the pain could be for many years because you dont know when you can come back. I feel so bad for English fans .

Let’s not get carried away here.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Great that Italy won this one. Never thought I would ever speak those words but here we are.
BoJo and his insufferable media/fans didn't deserve this win. A bit sad for some of the players that missed but overall well deserved win. Southgate is a bad coach and today he showed why. England clearly had the better players but stopped trying to play offensive football after they went up 1 -0 3 minutes in.
That Italy team isn't even that good. Mancini did a hell of a job for them.

Reactions: luiginb

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't think I've seen Sancho miss a penalty before today. He was the best penalty taker at Dortmund.

Man United got to take responsibility for what they've done to Sancho.

He only ever took two penalties in real games, so how would he be their best penalty taker? That's why you haven't seen him miss.

I believe he would have made the penalty if he'd been in the game and got to touch the ball a couple times.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He only ever took two penalties in real games, so how would he be their best penalty taker? That's why you haven't seen him miss.

I believe he would have made the penalty if he'd been in the game and got to touch the ball a couple times.

I was joking, to begin with.

Reus has been an average PK taker in recent years. Haaland tries to blast them, so it doesn't work as much as it should for a finisher of his quality. I liked Sancho as the best, and thought his approach and form on PK's was the best at the club. He should've taken more. We would've scored a few more if he took them over Reus and Haaland.

I reckon Sancho will be a prolific penalty taker in his career. Of all those England takers, I wouldn't have expected him to miss. Saka, you could've seen it coming, and Rashford less than Saka, but more believable he'd miss than Sancho.

It must be that Man United players don't want to win finals.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You can argue Italy does not have a current superstar caliber player. To say that they are good is a wee bit of a stumble. How many games has Italy lost recently?

Superstar? There's really not that many of those. World class players? Actually they have a bunch. Less people watch Serie A than ever before though in my experience. So I'm not surprised their success comes as a bit of a shock to some.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Southgate sucks. Playing not to lose. No excuse for Rashford and Sancho not coming in during ET and going for the win.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing. Do you send the 19 year old or the guy who just came in 2 minutes ago first?

Better idea, don't have these guys take shots, period.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Imagine putting on Rashford and Sancho and expecting them to take penalties cold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad