Euro: Final: Italy vs England (Part 3)

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
The one thing I will say in England's defense is that there is no evidence of Italians being attacked. There are several videos of English fans fighting each other which have been miscaptioned as assaults on Italian fans.

The biggest joke in this whole thing isn't the mob, it's the unbelievably pathetic lack of security and law enforcement. It's as if they didn't even try to secure anything.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Refs not calling fouls is the reason why embellishment is the problem it is...

No it's not. Refs miss calls in the NHL and the NFL too. That doesn't make the players dive blatantly all the time like they do in football. They dive because it's part of the culture in this sport and very little has been done to get rid of it. If all the refs were as great as Kuipers was in the final, the players wouldn't flop nearly as much. They're so used to getting rewarded for blatant diving that when it doesn't work like it didn't in this final, they're absolutely confused.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No it's not. Refs miss calls in the NHL and the NFL too. That doesn't make the players dive blatantly all the time like they do in football. They dive because it's part of the culture in this sport and very little has been done to get rid of it. If all the refs were as great as Kuipers was in the final, the players wouldn't flop nearly as much. They're so used to getting rewarded for blatant diving that when it doesn't work like it didn't in this final, they're absolutely confused.

...right...

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Those two don't come even close to having enough stadia for a World Cup. They had to team up with Norway and Finland even for their Euro 2028 bid.

Canada barely has any acceptable stadia (by FIFA standards, anyways), and they're co-hosts in 2026.

Anything's possible......and we're talking about a tournament that's not happening for another nine years. :dunno:

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Canada barely has any acceptable stadia (by FIFA standards, anyways), and they're co-hosts in 2026.

Anything's possible......and we're talking about a tournament that's not happening for another nine years. :dunno:

Exactly. They're co-hosts. Edmonton holds 55,000 and Toronto is expanding to 45,000 for the World Cup. And it's not like they have any chance of hosting the most important matches.

Stockholm and Gothenburg are the only cities in the Nordic countries with a stadium that has a capacity of more than 40,000. Friends Arena holds 54, 000. That's hardly enough for a World Cup final.

Even though I live Finland, I'd rather see Euro 2028 go to Italy or Portugal and Spain's joint bid. The stadia here are so small that getting tickets would be a hassle.

Last edited:

member 305909

At one point I thought that the World Cup is ruined because of the new tournament-format of 48 teams in groups of three.

Not so sure about that any more. The group-stage has a warm up-feel about it so perhaps it's better to get it over with sooner and start the knock-outs sooner.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Sweden and Denmark as hosts. Let's do it!

Those two don't come even close to having enough stadia for a World Cup. They had to team up with Norway and Finland even for their Euro 2028 bid.

I actually advocate for hosting every World Cup from now on in Nordic countries and maybe throw some group games to Latvia/Estonia/Lithuania too and the reason is...climate change.

Edmonton in Canada is undergoing summer heatwaves, the idea of having summer World Cup games in Texas or California? Forgetaboutit. As climate change ramps up, this will not get better. People shit on how hot the Qatar World Cup will be but since it's in winter, the temperatures will likely be lower than they will be for the summer 2026 North American WC.

The solution I see is to host it either in a southern hemisphere country every time or to host it in those Nordic countries or to move it permanently to Winter in the Northern Hemisphere.

Reactions: Lepardi

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
I actually advocate for hosting every World Cup from now on in Nordic countries and maybe throw some group games to Latvia/Estonia/Lithuania too and the reason is...climate change.

Edmonton in Canada is undergoing summer heatwaves, the idea of having summer World Cup games in Texas or California? Forgetaboutit. As climate change ramps up, this will not get better. People shit on how hot the Qatar World Cup will be but since it's in winter, the temperatures will likely be lower than they will be for the summer 2026 North American WC.

The solution I see is to host it either in a southern hemisphere country every time or to host it in those Nordic countries or to move it permanently to Winter in the Northern Hemisphere.

This is so silly. We're talking about an average change of 1-2 degrees since 1900. This has a negligible impact on hosting a professional sports tournament.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The answer anyway is to have more games at night regardless of local time. They do it in Spain.

Also, if global warming is that bad, we will have to learn to do more shit at night anyway. That's life.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf and luiginb

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
In 2026 it will get hot. There's no way around it. But that was already the case in 1994. The impact of heat on the way that tournament went is likely underestimated.

We also had no environmental control in LA or NYC then. LA had air quality more similar to China back then and a lot of games were played there. In Detroit they had no air conditioning and were playing indoors. Orlando and Dallas were also horrendous, but now Dallas has indoors and hopefully they don't pick Orlando. The conditions at the 2026 WC will likely be better than those. But like I said, if it gets too hot play the games at night. Some people might get mad about it but in the end nobody will care as long as they get to watch the games.

It's definitely hotter where I live now than it was 25 years ago, but the air quality is a lot better and I can breathe. I assume the players will be able to do so too.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
We also had no environmental control in LA or NYC then. LA had air quality more similar to China back then and a lot of games were played there. In Detroit they had no air conditioning and were playing indoors. Orlando and Dallas were also horrendous, but now Dallas has indoors and hopefully they don't pick Orlando. The conditions at the 2026 WC will likely be better than those. But like I said, if it gets too hot play the games at night. Some people might get mad about it but in the end nobody will care as long as they get to watch the games.

It's definitely hotter where I live now than it was 25 years ago, but the air quality is a lot better and I can breathe.

Given the number of teams that will be in it, it will be at least 3 kickoff times every day. I can't see how they could avoid games in the early afternoon, especially given the time zones as there will be games for sure in Pacific, Mountain and Central times which however still need to be watchable on the East Coast. Looking at the candidate cities Orlando, Denver, Kansas City and Nashville stand out as particularly heat-affected as those are all outdoors stadiums (Denver dry heat but combine altitude with 90 degrees and June sun angles), but Philly, D.C., Baltimore and even New York would be 'unpleasant' for sure as well. And in all those places other than Denver, I don't know how much an 8 or 9 pm game would even help. From my experience here doing outdoor stuff in the evenings the burden actually doesn't really let up. It stays in the 80s well past midnight so there's not a huge temperature relief, but at the same time humidity goes up as night sets in. It's probably more oppressive at like 9 o'clock than it is at 4 o'clock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad