Prospect Info: Filip Chytil (Pick #21 2017)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
With the like Anisimov, Miller, and even Kovalev, we're still talking about players who were anywhere from a year to three years older than Chytil is right now, which says nothing about changes to the scoring dynamics of the league.

Again, it's a very young season, but you have to give him a lot of credit.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
What makes Chytil's performance particularly noteworthy is not only that he's only 18, but that he's barely 18.

With the exception of Alex Kovalev in 1992, this just doesn't typically happen. Though I would urge caution, the season is still young. Chytil is going to be challenged as more teams view him as a focal point.
The age really does stand out. Chytil will be 18 this entire season. Kovalev turned 20 before 1992-93 was completed.

Reactions: Ori

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yes, deer in headlights. It doesn't take longer than two games to determine a kid is nervous and not thinking the game in a comfortable fashion. It's OK...he's just a kid and it happens. Just needs a bit of seasoning in the A...a league with a dimmer spotlight where he can get accustomed to NA pro Hockey. Trust me, I'm a Chytil fan...but this is best for him. We need to build the confidence in the AHL, rather than destroy it by installing him too soon in the NHL. He's going to be a beast.
Chytil is the teenage sensation!! so excited
Haha I caught that too! He's getting the rep :D

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Artem did 43 points in 74 games in his first AHL year and 81 in 80 in his second year. After that he made the Rangers. It's a harder league to run up points in now so what Filip is doing so far as barely an 18 year is really impressive. He's taken a real leap from last year to this year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get another shot at the Rangers this year but IMO he's probably better off playing the bulk of the season in Hartford. Right now the Rangers are way too much of a mess and I'd rather keep him out of that--build his confidence--give him first line and power play ice time.

Yeah, even if Chytil continues to perform at this pace it will become a question of whether the situation with the Rangers is beneficial for his development beyond this season.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I am fine with, assuming the WP are locked into a playoff spot or comfortably close to one, Chytil coming up to the Rangers for a few games near the end of the season. Not enough to burn a year of his ELC, but some games would be nice. And then return him to Hartford for playoffs. Again, assuming they're in the race. Long season ahead.

Assuming the Rangers aren't in a playoff hunt as well late in the season as well. I don't think they will be. Hole is getting too deep to climb out of.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Even if his scoring regresses as the season goes along, it’s still one hell of a story how this kid shot up draft boards as some teenager in Extraliga, amazed in the preseason to win a spot on the Rangers, and then had this scoring streak in the AHL.

Love this kid so far

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He's not playing tonight.

They didn't play him last week in the 3rd game in 3 nights either. AV said they didn't want to over work the young kid so early in the season. I would assume that is why he is out again.

Reactions: nyr2k2

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

They didn't play him last week in the 3rd game in 3 nights either. AV said they didn't want to over work the young kid so early in the season. I would assume that is why he is out again.

I hope he's not injured, but that's just stupid to sit him after coming off a 3 point night.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Agreed. I have no problem with them resting him in a 3rd game in 3 nights. That's ridiculous that the AHL does this to begin with.
Eh, not that big of a deal (to me, anyway). They have a tough time making money in the AHL, so they take as much advantage of Fridays and weekends as they can in order to encourage people to come see the games. The WHL does it, too. You'll even occasionally see 4 games in 5 nights in the WHL.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Eh, not that big of a deal (to me, anyway). They have a tough time making money in the AHL, so they take as much advantage of Fridays and weekends as they can in order to encourage people to come see the games. The WHL does it, too. You'll even occasionally see 4 games in 5 nights in the WHL.

Yea I guess it makes sense, just tough on the players bodies but they need money so it's understandable.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Very happy the kid took his "demotion" in stride and making the most of it. Seems to be playing very well and looked very impressive on those goals the wolfpack scored against the Phantoms

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Very happy the kid took his "demotion" in stride and making the most of it. Seems to be playing very well and looked very impressive on those goals the wolfpack scored against the Phantoms
Yeah man, I'd say he looked his most impressive on the Bear Gloves goal at the beginning of the highlights. Talk about silky hands...

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
With the like Anisimov, Miller, and even Kovalev, we're still talking about players who were anywhere from a year to three years older than Chytil is right now, which says nothing about changes to the scoring dynamics of the league.

Again, it's a very young season, but you have to give him a lot of credit.

Given his age, Chytil's performance in Hartford has been incredible. I warned to be careful about him afer preseason, but with every game he's proving to be more and more the real deal. Let's see if he can keep it up.

Very happy the kid took his "demotion" in stride and making the most of it.

Filip would have to be medically insane if he thought being in the AHL a couple weeks after turning 18 is a career problem. He's the youngest player in the league.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

How else was he going to take it? Everyone pegged him to go back home for another season. Chytil himself probably thought that was going to happen before the camp.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013

He was dinged up (foot). He sat in the crowd at bridgeport, unnoticed until I saw him with 2:47 left in the 3rd. Other side of the rink tho.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Spacing in NA is different as we all know.. No problem sitting him for 3rd game. Seeing NA game from a different angle could be beneficial

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It was 12:40 over two games, and while that obviously the smallest of samples, he did looked a little overwhelmed.

IMO the entire team looked overwhelmed. The barely 18 year old rookie fit right in with everyone else in being unprepared and behind at the start of the season...

Reactions: Nickmo82 and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
IMO the entire team looked overwhelmed. The barely 18 year old rookie fit right in with everyone else in being unprepared and behind at the start of the season...
Yup you're 100% correct. And unfortunately it's a trend that has continued for those still with the club.

I'd prefer he stay down in Hartford. They may not be great but they seem to provide a bit more stability, which is a big part of what he needs to continue his development, IMO.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I had Chytil rated around the 30s in his draft year, which seemed reasonable within the industry and where he ultimately went. However, his first NHL camp was so good, and he’s quickly elevated his prospect stock. Sometimes you miss due to luck, as prospects take unpredictable huge leaps forward. This column is about the reasons for missing. Chytil was good but not great internationally, likely leading to hedging on him in the industry. However, per one NHL executive who was very high on Chytil on draft day, he looked fantastic in the Czech Extraliga, better than fellow Czech draftee Martin Necas, per this source, and was making plays all the time against men, despite mediocre stats not reflecting this. What I learned from Chytil was to pay extra attention to the European leagues and not rely so much on international play.

I will post the link later. Corey Pronman article in The Athletic. Prospects he was wrong about.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad