Prospect Info: Filip Chytil (Pick #21 2017)

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Chytil's first camp reminded me a bit of Del Zotto's camp in 2009 (although MDZ was a year older). Del Zotto was "a year away," Sanguinetti was projected to graduate to the main roster, and then a teenage Del Zotto outperformed in every single way, ended up on the opening day roster, and had himself a very good rookie year.

Andersson was projected, Chytil took it.

It's funny you mention that camp, it was during that camp that Rangers brass thought they had the next Leetch. DZ was doing things that they hadn't seen in years, the tape to tape breakouts, passing, PP QB... The league caught on very quick to DZ. The Rangers also didn't insulate him properly. He gets a lot of flack, but DZ had some outstanding years here.

There were maturity concerns with him, and is one of the reasons why he's moved around a lot. He's a great dude, did a lot of work off the ice that people didn't see. He's got a lot of miles on him for a 27 year old... probably another 3-4 good years at the NHL level.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He played with Junior Super Star Matt Duchene and Good Canadian Boy Cody Hodgson.

The Rangers brought him in at 19 into the Pros, and he wasn't ready for it... not mature... he was still a kid that needed to go back and dominate juniors. Once he hit the AHL, the success he had riding shotgun to the two junior stars faded since he didn't have the level of support from the AHL team.

He also was a guy without a toolbox and some very solid tools. Which usually translates to a grinder over time.
IDK. He obviously benefited hugely from his line mates, but he was also really fast and physically imposing. His game maybe wasn't mature but he was physically mature and using those physical traits to dominate the other kids. I remember him going on some rushes that made the opposing players look like they belonged back in midgets. I don't know if anything would have changed for him had he spent another season in Brampton. I think he just wasn't that good.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
Neither were "projected."

Hockey News/Fansided/ESPN

GdxscuI.jpg

Hockey News/Fansided penciling him in, ESPN using AV quote to insinuate a good chance of making the team.

By "neither," you mean Sanguinetti not being projected?

This Bleacher Report article is literally the first article that comes up when you search "New York Rangers 2009 Preview"

ympUu3J.jpg

Right. People didn't start "projecting" Andersson would make the team until it became clear that we weren't going to add another center beyond Desharnais. And even then, it wasn't projecting him as much as it was saying "I guess the team wants Andersson on the team or thinks he's going to make it."
AKA projecting Andersson to make the team.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Gordie Clark, the Rangers’ director of player personnel, has praised Chytil’s maturity, based on his successful move from the junior level to Zlin in the men’s league.

“As the season went on, he ended up being a guy they were using all the time,” Clark said at the draft. “They had scheduled him to be their second-line center this year, which is tremendous for an 18-year-old. He grew two inches over the season, and I don’t think he’s going to stop. He’s going to be a really good skating center, a playmaker.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/30/...rangers-filip-chytil.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Chytil grabbed it, it's as simple as that. The kid has a tremendous amount of potential, but I can't say I expected him to make the jump after just turning 18.

As for Andersson, personally, I thought he was good enough to make the team. But I also understand the reservations of having two 18 year old forwards, especially hovering around the center position.

I for one, expected Andersson to make the team. So count me as one of the people who had him penciled in.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Kid ain't ready at all. Send him back, 9 games are fine whatever, but he needs at least another year. Legitimately looked intimidated yesterday. No Shit it's the NHL as a fresh 18 year old, but still.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Not convinced yet - I felt the org. was rushing him last night into NHL

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad