Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
If he is medically cleared now then I don't understand why we wouldn't consider him a healthy option.

I'm no doctor but brain injuries are unforeseeable. What is he truly gaining by waiting until September other than rest? Not sure there is any evidence that shows the correlation between wait time and repeating a brain injury.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Was the nature of his injury ever defined?
If not, he may have had whiplash and not a concussion(s)?
Health first but wha a gift if he is healthy and able to compete. Not only for him, his family, teammates and us fans.
They NEVER say what injuries are, even after the fact. It's classified top-secret shit with this team.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Brains are unpredictable. Someone can suffer a dozen concussions and end up being fine as they get older. Sometimes it just takes one to really knock someone out of whack for good. What I don't like is the way he suffered the last one. No one really saw what happened but if it was a 1 v 1 drill and he tripped over a stick, that isn't really confidence inspiring. What that tells me is that his brain as at the point where even minor impact will cause it to be like "yeah, we're not doing this again."

At the end of the day, he is going to make the call. If he's been medically cleared, then there isn't much else standing in his way other than him.

That's the thing with these injuries is you just never know. Remember when Zibanejad had an extensive concussion history to the point where it was seemingly any day where he could suffer another and KO him? All of a sudden he never suffered another. I think every situation is just unique. In Chytil's case, you're certainly right that the situation leading up to this is not encouraging. The Fast play wasn't even a noteworthy collision and it knocked him out then he tripped on a stick and fell and had a setback. But if he's been cleared and he's feeling completely normal and has been for a while than I don't know. I guess theoretically a gap from February or whenever he stopped having symptoms to September may be good for the brain but I'm also not a doctor and don't know if that actually aids in not suffering another one.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm very concerned for his well being. This could end very badly.
I understand this, but if he's clear of symptoms, it doesn't really make a difference if he plays tomorrow or 1 year from now. He's not really getting any healthier, and the next hit could still be very dangerous for his well being.

If he's good to go according to himself and the doctors, he should play IMO. He wants to play I would assume.

bouds

Feb 9, 2009
I'd love for Chytil to be healthy enough to play, but man I hope everyone involved makes the right long term decision. Good luck brother Fil.

Edit: I had a bad concussion once, took me 3 -4 months to feel normal, and months after my return to normalcy a sudden shift getting out of bed sent me back to abnormal for a few days until I righted the ship with some therapy. I'm just a desk jockey, imagine going back out there and doing what Fil does for a living. I truly wish the dude the very best.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
They have the center depth to play Chytil at wing in the top 6, where he can theoretically avoid the middle of the ice and control the puck on zone entries for the wonder twins. He's had good chemistry with Kreider before.

Love Vince saying not to expect him in the final 2 games. Thanks for that ground breaking scoop, they obviously dont have the cap space to activate him. Not like we discussed it for months leading up to the trade deadline lol
I don’t think they can afford to activate him before the playoffs

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Gonna just defer to trust the medical staff on this one. It could also be they want him close so they can observe him as he ramps up physical activity to monitor for symptoms and make sure his spatial awareness and neck strength stay stable. Regardless, I’m super happy to see him and glad he’s back around the team, even if he doesn’t get to play

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019

Gonna just defer to trust the medical staff on this one. It could also be they want him close so they can observe him as he ramps up physical activity to monitor for symptoms and make sure his spatial awareness and neck strength stay stable. Regardless, I’m super happy to see him and glad he’s back around the team, even if he doesn’t get to play

Oh, he playing.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
Him playing with Mika and Kreider makes the most sense. He doesn't have to drive a line while he's finding his way again. Even if he's not his best, it's not gonna be a huge dropoff from anyone else in that spot previous.

This is exciting though. Will give the team a boost. Him at his best is a good player too, even in the playoffs.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Kaplan official
edit: it's a salary cap miracle!
Thinking they sit Fil for as long as possible and only bring him in out of desperation e.g. tons of injuries, some desperate must-win game scenario.

I see no point in doing that. If he gets through practices all week, with contact, is in shape, and says he feels fine then why would he not play right away? What is waiting longer going to do? You're never going to know how he responds until he plays. How can he possibly not be ready to play G1 but fine to play about 4 days later in G3 if they go down 2-0 in the series?

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I see no point in doing that. If he gets through practices all week, with contact, and says he feels fine then why would he not play right away? What is waiting longer going to do? You're never going to know how he responds until he plays.
Id say the only question is ensuring he’s at full game speed.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Id say the only question is ensuring he’s at full game speed.

Yea, conditioning is a different story but he has about 10 days to get there. Waiting for no reason if he's already cleared and says he feels fine isn't going to accomplish anything. In the meantime the organization is never going to say he's ready before the end of the regular season since he can't simultaneously be ready and remain on LTIR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad