Helene St. James Fedorov and Lidstrom both 1st-ballot HOFers

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Jingoism maybe?

Sergei is one of the most under appreciated players in Wings' history. If you weren't around in the 90s it's hard to describe how special he was.

Fans know exactly how good he was.
People don't sing his praises because of his personality. Fandom has to be earned.

People can fully understand an athletes greatness and not be fans. LBJ is the perfect example. It has nothing to do with culture, race, country etc.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
So hold out three quarters of the season due to a contract dispute, then sign a poison pill ridiculously designed contract to try and force your way out of Detroit, and then when a UFA take LESS money than Detroit offered to go to Cali to play for the Ducks. Yeah - this guy bled Red Wing red alright.

Yeah you just want to hate him. Carolina and Karmanos formed the contract in a poison pill fashion after seeing that Fedorov was holding out. It wasn't like Pat Brisson sat down with Karmanos trying to force Sergei out of Detroit. He wanted a pay raise. Signing the poison pill deal made that happen. It forced the Wings hand. If he really wanted out he would have sulked or asked for a trade after they matched the deal. But he didn't, did he.

He did NOT take less money to play in Anaheim. He was offered more money earlier on but because he was going through personal stuff, he wanted more time to think about the deal. Once he came back around to Detroit, that 10M per contract was long off the table.

Maybe they pulled the deal because of the coming lockout or they simply decided he wasn't worth 50M, but saying that he bolted to Anaheim for less money is simply not accurate. The Wings weren't offering 5/50M in FA when Anaheim signed him.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Fans know exactly how good he was.
People don't sing his praises because of his personality. Fandom has to be earned.

People can fully understand an athletes greatness and not be fans. LBJ is the perfect example. It has nothing to do with culture, race, country etc.

I stand by the fact that unless you've seen Fedorov play you can't appreciate just how good he was.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
He spent most of his time in Detroit trying to leave Detroit, and now folks here want him up in the rafters as a Red Wing forever. You want to gloss over the fact that he didn't want to be here, actively tried to leave during the peak of that team for more money and to be the star, successfully left later as a UFA after turning down more money from the Red Wings (timing is irrelevant even if you want to quibble whether the bigger offer was on the table at the time).

He didn't want to be here. He doesn't deserve his number to be in the rafters and to be a "Red Wing Forever". I'm not saying he isn't a hall of famer, or one of the on-ice greats. He could even have a wing in the new arena Red Wing HOF dedicated to all things Sergei. Just keep him out of the rafters.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He spent most of his time in Detroit trying to leave Detroit, and now folks here want him up in the rafters as a Red Wing forever. You want to gloss over the fact that he didn't want to be here, actively tried to leave during the peak of that team for more money and to be the star, successfully left later as a UFA after turning down more money from the Red Wings (timing is irrelevant even if you want to quibble whether the bigger offer was on the table at the time).

He didn't want to be here. He doesn't deserve his number to be in the rafters and to be a "Red Wing Forever". I'm not saying he isn't a hall of famer, or one of the on-ice greats. He could even have a wing in the new arena Red Wing HOF dedicated to all things Sergei. Just keep him out of the rafters.

This is a joke right? First you seem completely deaf to NHL labor practices, which has the NHLPA being the least effective union in pro sports. Second timing has everything to do with why he left, there have been numerous articles that show that he was happy in Detroit, and even kept up charitable activities in the city long after he left. Some decisions you have to make are the least worst alternative, and that's the best way to describe why Feds left.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I think once he agreed to come back and play in the alumni game it was time to let bygones be bygones.

But that's just me.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.

He didn't spend most of his time trying to leave. But he did donate his entire 2 million dollar salary for 1999 to start his charity in Detroit. Who else has done that? He's not the greedy malcontent you are trying to make him out to be.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I think once he agreed to come back and play in the alumni game it was time to let bygones be bygones.

But that's just me.
I mean, they almost traded for him before the 2008 run. Columbus wanted Filppula so Holland said no.

I think the hard feelings have been over with for a while.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Fedorov was my favorite player before all the shenanigans went down, but despite them he'll always be one of my all time greats. His skating was unbelievable. One of the most talented players ever. I've moved on from the bad blood and just remember him for those seasons of excellence while he was here. Definitely deserved HOF and Jersey retirement if you ask me.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
So exactly what happens if Pronger suddenly comes back from his injury? Does he get removed from the HHOF?

It would be pretty funny if he came back and was a giant dick to everyone in the NHL and taking out multiple carrers thus ending his Hall of fame status,

Ballot to the Hall of fame, And then never to be seen there again, That would be hilarious, Mostly cause i hate Pronger

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
So exactly what happens if Pronger suddenly comes back from his injury? Does he get removed from the HHOF?

It would be pretty funny if he came back and was a giant dick to everyone in the NHL and taking out multiple carrers thus ending his Hall of fame status,

Ballot to the Hall of fame, And then never to be seen there again, That would be hilarious, Mostly cause i hate Pronger

Wow you really do hate him.

I can respect what he did in his career. I mean he basically took Edmonton to the SCF with the help of Roloson. And that was without neidermeyer.

here is still my sum up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpBjJ0dp2mc

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Why no Makarov? Housley instead of him is a damn shame. Put the legend in already.

Grats to Sergei and Nick though.
it's strange.

makarov was unquestionably better than larionov. in games vs canada in the canada cups, makarov was basically as good as anyone other than 99 and 66.

housley was a bad defensive player who usually had a sheltered role and only got in on career offensive numbers. without playing his career in '80s and early '90s, i doubt he would be inducted. his offensive numbers are also inflated by playing as a F sometimes.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Glad both are first ballot guys, never in doubt with Lidstrom but happy Sergei got the same honor. Hopefully the #91 joins the others in the rafters soon.

The two most talented players on the championship squads go in together. I love Stevie, but I do think both Fedorov and Lidstrom were better, especially by the time they were actually winning them.

I was reading some of the reminiscing about Feds and Lids. Bowman brought up that comment from Gretzky-- I couldn't play defense, Mario couldn't play defense, Jagr couldn't play defense... Bowman goes on to say how Feds did everything as a center, including the PK, etc. and then "we put him on D and he was perfect."

Devellano was discussing why they decided to draft a Soviet player. Yzerman had just played against him in the World Cup, and JD asked Stevie if Feds was as good as him. Stevie said I think he might be better than me. Then JD asked his scouts if Feds were a North American, where would he go in the draft. The answer was #1 overall. JD then said we're drafting him and we'll have to figure out how to get him to North America. :laugh:

Lids, of course, went lower in the draft too because no one had seen him yet, playing for his hometown team.

Just unreal.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Just unreal.

Hard to imagine we'll ever see a better tandem. Let alone from the same draft.

Both players were electric to watch in their own way. To echo previous sentiments, Yzerman was actually the 3rd wheel in this trio.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
No surprise.

Fedorov is my favourite player ever to set foot on NHL ice, so I'm stoked.
Lidstrom is one of the classiest and greatest players to ever set foot on NHL ice, so I'm happy for him.

Well deserved for both.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
has any other team ever drafted two first ballot hall of famers in the same draft before?

I would think so and the answer is more than likely the Habs, though not really in the same kind of drafting climate.

Though I am sure somebody will research it entering the HHOF inductions because you have to think that is a stat TSN and others will throw out there at some point in the coming months if they are alone in this regard.

EDIT: My guess: Lafleur and Robinson were picked in the same year if I remember right, just in terms of throwing one out there. I would assume both those guys were first ballot but I might be off a year in terms of when they were drafted.

Last edited:

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I mean, they almost traded for him before the 2008 run. Columbus wanted Filppula so Holland said no.

From what I remember hearing, the "brain trust" kicked around the idea of bringing him back, but the consensus they arrived at was that they shouldn't.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Feds is maybe my favorite player of all time. Certainly was the reason I became a Wings fan. +1 for retiring his number.

To see him and Nick get into the HHoF at the same time.. amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad