Helene St. James Fedorov and Lidstrom both 1st-ballot HOFers

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 5m5 minutes ago
#RedWings greats Nicklas Lidstrom & Sergei Fedorov 1st-ballot Hockey Hall of Famers.

:handclap::handclap:

Guess that's pretty much everyone from the 2002 team now? Except Datsyuk.

Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli 4m4 minutes ago
Hockey Hall of Fame class of 2015: Chris Pronger, Nick Lidstrom, Sergei Federov, Phil Housley, Angela Ruggiero, Bill Hay, Peter Karmanos.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Congats to both!!!

Now put Fedorov's # in the rafters already damnit.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Kind of really still annoying that Pronger can be voted into the HHOF, but be traded from one team to another just a few days prior.

I really hope Fedorov can get some sort of major recognition from Detroit, preferably in the form of #91 being retired. At least no one has worn the number since he left, ya know? Congrats to both Fedorov and Lidstrom.

If Datsyuk's number is retired, is that '02 team the most HHOF honored group in the history of the NHL? Even without it, is that group the most recognized? What a special team.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
If Datsyuk's number is retired, is that '02 team the most HHOF honored group in the history of the NHL? Even without it, is that group the most recognized? What a special team.

I think they already are now.

56/57 Canadiens had the record with 9 inductees.

2002 Wings have: Larionov, Fedorov, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Hull, Robitaille, Bowman, Chelios, Hasek, Shanahan.

So that's 10. Add in Datsyuk and Holland...12 inductees. Special team for sure.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Congats to both!!!

Now put Fedorov's # in the rafters already damnit.

I hope not. That is hallowed company - Fedorov did all he could to force his way out with that poison pill contract with Karmanos/Carolina. Ironic that Pete is going in the same class as Sergei isn't it. Then he eventually did leave as a free agent when he finally could as a ufa. For the majority of his years here he seemingly didn't want to be here and was jealous of Stevie Y. The closest he should get is maybe a Russian Five banner or something- and maybe leave that up to the Red Wings HOF that the new arena was rumored to have.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Why no Makarov? Housley instead of him is a damn shame. Put the legend in already.

Grats to Sergei and Nick though.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Two of the greatest Wings. Fantastic news, plus I love that they went in together. Same draft year, same HOF year. :)

ashenhigh

Aug 27, 2008
Los Angeles
I hope not. That is hallowed company - Fedorov did all he could to force his way out with that poison pill contract with Karmanos/Carolina. Ironic that Pete is going in the same class as Sergei isn't it. Then he eventually did leave as a free agent when he finally could as a ufa. For the majority of his years here he seemingly didn't want to be here and was jealous of Stevie Y. The closest he should get is maybe a Russian Five banner or something- and maybe leave that up to the Red Wings HOF that the new arena was rumored to have.

Come on man, lets put it to bed and remember all the great moments with Feds as a Red Wing, rather than look for the bad. If you don't want to retire his number because of the exclusive company, then fine, but we could still raise his numbers to the rafters much like the Maple Leafs have done to honor their players without removing 91 from the number rotation.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Karmanos tried to force him out of Detroit. Why would Sergei turn down a huge deal like that? This is stretching to hate on the guy. If Karmanos doesn't hate Illitch, the offer sheet never comes.

He left as a FA because of some crazy stuff going on. Frankly, it was probably for the best that he left, cause 10M or whatever the offer was would have been a millstone around Detroits neck after the lockout.

Sergei was a brilliant player and it was amazing to watch him play as a Wing. It is ludicrous to hate him for doing what literally every other player in history has done.

I would have no qualms about retiring his number as he was one of the greatest hockey players I've ever seen and is a shining example of what the Wings were at their peak.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
^It wasn't the money from Karmanos, it was how it was allotted with all that up front money. Fedorov worked with Karmanos to try and create the poison pill that Ilitch couldn't swallow. He wanted out badly.

Not every other player did what he tried to do. I'm fine with getting yours, it wasn't about that with Sergei, it was about getting off the Red Wings at the time. It was about getting away from Yzerman's shadow.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Karmanos tried to force him out of Detroit. Why would Sergei turn down a huge deal like that? This is stretching to hate on the guy. If Karmanos doesn't hate Illitch, the offer sheet never comes.

He left as a FA because of some crazy stuff going on. Frankly, it was probably for the best that he left, cause 10M or whatever the offer was would have been a millstone around Detroits neck after the lockout.

Sergei was a brilliant player and it was amazing to watch him play as a Wing. It is ludicrous to hate him for doing what literally every other player in history has done.

I would have no qualms about retiring his number as he was one of the greatest hockey players I've ever seen and is a shining example of what the Wings were at their peak.

Exactly right!! I never really understood people being so disgruntled about the Carolina offer.
Without Sergei and his playoff points, penalty killing etc. the wings sure as heck wouldn't have 3 cups in that stretch. Bowman and Gretzky said Fedorov did something no one else could do. He played defense along with playing center. High praise when Gretzky and Bowman agree that no one else could do that.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
So hold out three quarters of the season due to a contract dispute, then sign a poison pill ridiculously designed contract to try and force your way out of Detroit, and then when a UFA take LESS money than Detroit offered to go to Cali to play for the Ducks. Yeah - this guy bled Red Wing red alright.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Glad both are first ballot guys, never in doubt with Lidstrom but happy Sergei got the same honor. Hopefully the #91 joins the others in the rafters soon.

The two most talented players on the championship squads go in together. I love Stevie, but I do think both Fedorov and Lidstrom were better, especially by the time they were actually winning them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->