Helene St. James Fedorov and Lidstrom both 1st-ballot HOFers

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
has any other team ever drafted two first ballot hall of famers in the same draft before?

Not all first-ballad hall of famers, but here are 2 from the same draft

1980, Oilers drafted Paul Coffey in round 1 and Jari Kurri in round 4

1971, Canadiens drafted Guy Lafleur in round 1, and Larry Robinson in round 2.

1974, Islanders drafted Clark Gillies in round 1, and Bryan Trottier in round 2.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
From what I remember hearing, the "brain trust" kicked around the idea of bringing him back, but the consensus they arrived at was that they shouldn't.

Yeah, because the asking price was Valterri Filppula. Fedorov wasn't close to being Fedorov by that point. It wasn't for any reason besides Columbus trying to gouge us for a top prospect.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I love Fedorov as a player, but I have a hard time retiring the number of a player who signed contracts with other teams both times he was a free agent.

He deserves to be in the HHOF. I don't think he should hang in the rafters. I also don't think anyone from the modern era deserves to be in the rafters outside of Yzerman, Lidstrom, Datsyuk. I am even on the fence about Zetterberg.

IMO the guys who belong in the rafters are guys who lived for the Wings. Fedorov may have had some personal issues that caused his relationship with the team, but there were too many times he put himself first. I don't hold anything against him for that...he just doesn't deserve to be in the rafters.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Why Datsyuk over Zetterberg?

Mostly personal preference, but Datsyuk also has edge in stats and awards and has been more consistent. Although he has been injured a bit his play has not dropped quite as sharply as Zetterberg's.

In terms of effectiveness at peak they were about the same but Zetterberg has a lot of intangibles.

To be honest, though, barring major recovery this year I don't really feel like either one of them is capable of handing 20+ minutes a night of first line duty through an entire year. On a cup contender team they would be used more as a 1b option, playing on the second line.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Did Sid Abel live for the Wings? That's a bull**** criteria. The fact that 91 hasn't been issued is enough for me to believe that it will eventually be retired

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pretty much same as what HSJ said

Last edited:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Fedorov may have left on "sour" terms, but he lived Detroit. The dude started million dollar charities in Detroit and has a house in Detroit. He did a lot for the city outside of winning cups here.

91 to the rafters!

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Mostly personal preference, but Datsyuk also has edge in stats and awards and has been more consistent. Although he has been injured a bit his play has not dropped quite as sharply as Zetterberg's.

In terms of effectiveness at peak they were about the same but Zetterberg has a lot of intangibles.

To be honest, though, barring major recovery this year I don't really feel like either one of them is capable of handing 20+ minutes a night of first line duty through an entire year. On a cup contender team they would be used more as a 1b option, playing on the second line.

Pavel is two years older and has about 85 points more, they're about tied in goals. Zetterberg has a few more playoff points. It seems like they will be very close in career totals. Pavel has individual hardware that alone take him all the way in, pretty much. Zetterberg has to rely more on staying the course here and racking up the totals. If/when he does, he's gonna have too much to overlook in this era. I'm thinking a relatively healthy Zetterberg will finish his career closer to 1100 points in 1200 games. And upwards to 150 playoff points.

We're lucky to have had all these great players, time to give Fedorov his due.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Heaven forbid you ever play for another franchise.

Daniel Alfredsson and Mike Modano are such heartless punks.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Fedorov is a top 50 player of all time, instrumental in 3 stanley cups, a hart and selke winner, he will be one of 4 players who will always be affiliated with our dynasty.(if you consider it one.)

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Fun read,

In the Fedorov lore I have heard reports that Fedorov took some time to review the contract the readwings offered and when he came back to accept they had reduced the payout. Not sure if that is true but it might explain how things started to go south. I really wish Feds had stayed his whole career. I think he had a crummy agent and also didn't fully realize what he had here. I know early in his retirement he was swindled out of most of his fortune by a fanincial advisor. I think Feds has poor decision making when it came to his career and finances. Anyway I digress. None of this IMO should put a taint on his number in the rafters considering what he accomplished with the team while he was here. Would also like to see at least one player from the Russian 5 up there.

I didn't know they had shot down 91 for Richards that is really promising to hear.

Actual Thought*

^It wasn't the money from Karmanos, it was how it was allotted with all that up front money. Fedorov worked with Karmanos to try and create the poison pill that Ilitch couldn't swallow. He wanted out badly.

Not every other player did what he tried to do. I'm fine with getting yours, it wasn't about that with Sergei, it was about getting off the Red Wings at the time. It was about getting away from Yzerman's shadow.
If it weren't for Sergei, Yzerman wouldn't have even gotten a sniff of the Stanley Cup. He was the best forward on the team in 97, 98, and 2002. He belongs in the rafters based on what he did on the ice. Who cares about what happened off the ice or behind closed doors?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If it weren't for Sergei, Yzerman wouldn't have even gotten a sniff of the Stanley Cup. He was the best forward on the team in 97, 98, and 2002. He belongs in the rafters based on what he did on the ice. Who cares about what happened off the ice or behind closed doors?

Mike Illitch.

Fedorov would be up already if there wasn't a strong aversion to it by the front office. Judging by the Scherzer contract situation last year, I think the old man is a curmudgeon to those he feels disrespected him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad