GDT: Feb. 19, 2006 | Canada vs. Finland | 3 PM ET | 9 PM CET

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_shannon_1983*

This game reminds me of why Kariya may have been nice to have on the team. He has speed, and puck carrying/control ability.

Canada is too slow, and lacks the ability to carry/control the puck.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Wow, you sure have a pretty negative attitude. I have never seen a fin-can match where Canada has not overpowered us in the last period. With Niittymäki giving big rebounds, things might change pretty fast.

Fabs

Dec 19, 2005
Do people really think having Spezza, Staal and Phaneuf with Quinn out would make a difference? Enough with the excuses. This is the best team on paper in the tournament, but they don't move their feet, they don't fight for the puck, they just aren't working at all. Its a lack of any real effort game after game thats gonna send this team home in the first round.

if-away

Jul 23, 2005
Rumor has it Pat is getting Sutter on the speaker phone so that they can formulate a strategy for the 2nd period.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Fabs said:
Do people really think having Spezza, Staal and Phaneuf with Quinn out would make a difference? Enough with the excuses. This is the best team on paper in the tournament, but they don't move their feet, they don't fight for the puck, they just aren't working at all. Its a lack of any real effort game after game thats gonna send this team home in the first round.
good call - it aint over yet - we'll get better -

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Wow - the Finns are just manhandling the Canadians in every aspect of the game.

The Finns are:

Out-skating
Out-hitting
Out-finishing
Playing like a team

Canada is:

playing like a collection of prima donna individuals.

Better wake up quick, boys...

Namso

Aug 25, 2005
Finland definitely did their homework. Shoot shoot shoot. Luongo gives up more rebounds than Theodore.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
ferns8916 said:
This game reminds me of why Kariya may have been nice to have on the team. He has speed, and puck carrying/control ability.

Canada is too slow, and lacks the ability to carry/control the puck.

Not to mention the all-important experience criteria. Although expected, that was one of the omissions that angered me. The guy loves to play internationally.

Noutaja

Aug 29, 2004
Matti_A said:
Canadian fans need to relax, this is a meaningless game. The tournament starts in the qf:s.

Exactly. And there is still 40 minutes left even in this game.

HotToddy

Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
JayBo is in way over his head, looks awful out there.

Will the real Chris Pronger please stand up, he was borderline useless out there. He needs to be a leader especially with our D struggling.

Where are the legs? Where is the jump? Maybe Canada needs a real good practice, they just have no 2nd gear.

Fins looked real good and real hungry although do you really want to play your best period against Canada in the qualification round? I'll be shocked if another team gains two goals in a period on Canada the rest of this tournament.

Is this game being played in a cave? It's so dark in there.

Still hate the big ice, fastest way to take intensity out of a great game.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Sam Losco said:
My God, Finland is a TEAM with a capital T-E-A-M.

I love it.

Teemu can still fly.

Selanne > Team Canada :yo:

Quite frankly, I would have never expected the Finns to be that good.
Having said that, they have managed to beat Czechs and now it's Canada.

It's too early to jump to conclusions, but I surely like that Finnish team

lobo

Jan 15, 2006
I do think guys like Spezza and Staal would make a difference. At this point Canada is not playing with any type of drive or urgency, almost like they don't care. I think having some younger guys who play with more excitement is exactly what Canada needs right now.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
call me Anti-Canadian but I found myself cheering against Canada...

Are we that arrogant to think we can just breeze through the round robin onto another Gold Medal?

The Fins are playing with passion and as a team

ARS

Apr 26, 2004
Ottawa
Esko6 said:
Wow, you sure have a pretty negative attitude. I have never seen a fin-can match where Canada has not overpowered us in the last period. With Niittymäki giving big rebounds, things might change pretty fast.

Don't count on it, if it was a 1 goal game, then maybe but 2 goals is too much for this team to overcome, Canada might actually start playing really hard in the third like they did against the Swiss, but like against the Swiss, it'll be too little too late and not to mention that Finns are playing really strong, I think this game is an uphill battle for Canada that Finland has already won.

50 Mission Cap

Mar 3, 2002
Pembroke, Ontario
www.tmlfans.ca
The 2002 Olympics the argument was that a 10 year old could have coached that team and won, thus Pat Quinn was not deserving of any kudos. This time as soon as they start to lose its all his fault and everyone else is blameless, including the players.

Nice job to have, if you win it has nothing to do with you, if you lose it's all your fault.

shawn_kemp*

zx81 said:
It's all Gretzky fault.
There is not ONE defenseman in team Canada that I would have picked.

Also there are way too many slow forwards.

Crosby would have been in my team.
Bergeron would have been in my team.
Staal and Savard too.

This team was badly picked. Simple enough.

:biglaugh:

You have the best team in terms of talent, the best group of defensemen, forwards and goaltenders. If you can't win with that, the problem is not on paper. :teach:

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
I could recall how people were making fun out of me when I picked Finland to win the gold in the poll thread.

I FEEL VINDICATED.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
SensDude said:
Don't count on it, if it was a 1 goal game, then maybe but 2 goals is too much for this team to overcome, Canada might actually start playing really hard in the third like they did against the Swiss, but like against the Swiss, it'll be too little too late and not to mention that Finns are playing really strong, I think this game is an uphill battle for Canada that Finland has already won.
lovely -

Vinceee

Go Foreurs Go!
Apr 27, 2004
Amos, QC
WpgBoy84 said:
it'll look like that when guys take a bunch of dumb penalties.

The cross check was Bs... the guy dived on the goaltender

And NASH's penalty was a really bad call... the finn checked nash on the goaltender...

The Canadian team is playing like ... we dont need bad reffing too

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
shawn_kemp said:
:biglaugh:

You have the best team in terms of talent, the best group od defensemen, forwards and goaltenders. If you can't win with that, the problem is not on paper. :teach:

i cant believe im agreeing with shaun kemp, but i am.... this team is as good or better than every other team in the tournament on paper.... they dont have any excuses for playing like they did in the 1st period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad