FaZe Clan is taking over

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Treating your position as obvious is the opposite of humble.
If you are reading that as “ultimate authority “ that’s on you.

I am saying these kids are atheletes.

I am saying to get at that level you have to be great.

Many here are saying they play video games but have never played competitive.

I am saying playing competitive is a whole different animal then playing casual.

Many here say they’re not atheletes

Atheletes consider them atheletes

I am saying, I’ve played in money tournaments, it’s a completely different ballgame, and unless you have, how can you comment on what they do or are?

Simple?
Simple, yes. Understanding what you're saying, yes-- you've repeated it over and over again, again as if it automatically gives you overriding (if "ultimate" is objectionable) authority-- how could anyone not?

Valid reasoning? No. Things worth considering? Not really. These points don't support your conclusion in the way that you think it does, for all of the reasons that have already been pointed out (and again it's not even a conclusion that I necessarily disagree with or have a problem with-- it's strictly just your rhetoric that sucks).

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
1. Humble is stating the obvious

No, that's not even close. Look it up.
2. Which one of you has ever played in a money tournament? None?

3. it’s called being a popular streamer. Food you tubers have sponsors. Are they pro chefs?

Seriously, am I the only person who knows what they are talking about with this?

It seems that you don't know what you're talking about because you're not a pro gamer, either.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Simple, yes. Understanding what you're saying, yes-- you've repeated it over and over again, again as if it automatically gives you "ultimate authority"-- how could anyone not?

Valid reasoning? No. These points don't support your conclusion in the way that you think it does, for all of the reasons that have already been pointed out (and it's not even a conclusion that I necessarily disagree with).
But, that’s my opinion.

My opinion is coming from experience. If you don’t agree with it, that’s fine. But, as somebody who indeed has experience playing competitive, I cannot take opinions of those who haven’t seriously. If a mechanic says you need a new radiator, but your friend who drives the exact same car says you don’t, who will you listen to?

I am not gonna shame these kids for being good at video games and unlike many here have no problem with calling them atheletes. If you don’t consider them atheletes, that’s fine too. But don’t try and change somebody else’s opinion because it doesn’t agree with your own.

Last edited:

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
No, that's not even close. Look it up.

It seems that you don't know what you're talking about because you're not a pro gamer, either.
Never claimed to be one yet has played with and against these kids, tho.

Do you actually know what a pro gamer is?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
But, that’s my opinion.

My opinion is coming from experience. If you don’t agree with it, that’s fine. But, as somebody who indeed has experience playing competitive, I cannot take opinions of those who haven’t seriously. If a mechanic says you need a new radiator, but your friend who drives the exact same car says you don’t, who will you listen to?

I am not gonna shame these kids for being good at video games and unlike many here have no problem with calling them atheletes. If you don’t consider them atheletes, that’s fine too. But try and change somebody else’s opinion because it doesn’t agree with your own.
First, opinions can be criticized for being unreasonable and foolish.

Second, it's disingenuous to frame your arguments as if they're just humble opinions when you insist that your opinion is more worthy of being taken seriously than others, or should be "trusted". You're trying to pass your opinion off as being closer to fact than otherwise, at that point.

Third, if your mechanic happens to say something that seems illogical and foolish and your friend happens to say something that makes more sense, you may not want to place blind trust in your mechanic and get a second opinion. If they're actually right and know better because of their superior knowledge on the subject, they should be able to walk circles around your friend in explaining why they're wrong in a way that actually tracks. Even professionals can be wrong sometimes-- especially when it comes to something abstract like definitions rather than practical outcomes. I doubt that professional athletes spend their lives wasting time contemplating the definition of what it technically means to be an athlete to begin with. If you're going to appeal to an authority about that, maybe a linguist would be more relevant?

Fourth, I can't speak for others, but I haven't tried to change your opinion (in fact, I argued against some of the same arguments that you argued against earlier). I'm just pointing out that your rhetoric is really bad and hurts the validity of your opinion/conclusion more than helps it (even in the event that your conclusion happens to be true). If you even do have more relevant experience with the subject than others, you're sure as hell failing to make use of that information and express it cogently (which is the important thing).

People can be forgiven for not finding "It may not make sense, but just trust us" to be a compelling or respectable take.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
First, opinions can be criticized for being unreasonable and foolish.

Second, it's disingenuous to frame your arguments as if they're just humble opinions when you insist that your opinion is more worthy of being taken seriously than others, or should be "trusted". You're trying to pass your opinion off as being closer to fact than otherwise, at that point.

Third, if your mechanic happens to say something that seems illogical and foolish and your friend happens to say something that makes more sense, you may not want to place blind trust in your mechanic and get a second opinion. If they're actually right and know better because of their superior knowledge on the subject, they should be able to walk circles around your friend in explaining why they're wrong in a way that actually tracks. Even professionals can be wrong sometimes-- especially when it comes to something abstract like definitions rather than practical outcomes. I doubt that professional athletes spend their lives wasting time contemplating the definition of what it technically means to be an athlete to begin with. If you're going to appeal to authority, maybe a linguist would be more relevant?

Fourth, I can't speak for others, but I haven't tried to change your opinion (in fact, I argued against some of the same arguments that you argued against earlier). I'm just pointing out that your rhetoric is really bad and hurts the validity of your opinion/conclusion more than helps it (even in the event that your conclusion happens to be true). If you even do have more relevant experience with the subject than others, you're sure as hell failing to make use of that information and express it cogently.

Others can be forgiven for not finding "It may not make sense, but just trust us" to be a compelling or respectable take.
1. True, but the hive mind mentality going on needs a reset. I think it’s foolish not calling these kids atheletes and there’s nothing anybody here can say that could change my mind.

2. Well, playing in money tournaments and against these kids has more credibility then chirping from the top of the rafters. Again, I’m not shaming them for being good at video games. If somebody who has played against these kids in the environment they thrive in says their on a whole different level then randos playing Xbox, I would put a little more credence in that then someone just providing shaming.

If it wasn’t me, but somebody else, I’d say the exact same thing. I don’t have to make up I was some great gamer 20 years ago or boast about beating ninja, I am a good gamer now during the most cutthroat time in PVP, and I am nowhere near these kids. You can put as much or as little into that as you want, it’s not going to effect me or my opinion.

And that’s not boasting. That’s just saying “naw, they good” from somebody who is a level below them to a bunch of casual gamers who aren’t anywhere in that orbit.

If I wanted to boast, I’d post up a video where I wrecked somebody with 200k hype who would make Ninja, a player somebody here boasted about beating, cry. Or say after playing today I’ll be a top ten player in the world and would surely be a top 50 player at seasons end which is five months away if I don’t play again the rest of the season.

Offering my opinion isn’t boasting.

3. good lord….

4. who cares? Nobody is going to change anybody’s opinion because nobody has the same experience. Nobody is calling these kids gods, they’re calling them atheletes and they deserve that much. If you don’t agree with it, carry on my wayward son. I’m not trying to change your mind and if I do I don’t really care if I did.

If society is trending on calling these kids atheletes, shaming them isn’t going to change it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
But, that’s my opinion.

I am not gonna shame these kids for being good at video games and unlike many here have no problem with calling them atheletes. If you don’t consider them atheletes, that’s fine too. But don’t try and change somebody else’s opinion because it doesn’t agree with your own.

From your first post in this thread: "But, no matter what anybody wants to say, eSports players are indeed athletes."

From your second post in this thread: "I'm sorry, but your wrong with this one. Competitive gamers are athletes."

From a post of yours earlier today: "Here’s the truth, coming from a .1% player; Pro gamers are atheletes."

You haven't been simply expressing your opinion in this thread. You've been arguing that something is a fact. Naturally, people are going to take issue with that. You shouldn't spin that as people trying to change your opinion because they disagree with it.
Never claimed to be one yet has played with and against these kids, tho.

You've suggested that you are or were once a competitive gamer and you've said that competitive gamers and pro gamers are both athletes (see above). Any difference between the two doesn't seem to be very relevant to the discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
2. Well, playing in money tournaments and against these kids has more credibility then chirping from the top of the rafters. Again, I’m not shaming them for being good at video games. If somebody who has played against these kids in the environment they thrive in says their on a whole different level then randos playing Xbox, I would put a little more credence in that then someone just providing shaming.

I'd like to know where you're getting this narrative that these players are being "shamed" for being good at video games. It seems like an attempt to claim the moral position in the argument and deflect attention from you shaming posters for not being good at games.
And that’s not boasting. That’s just saying “naw, they good” from somebody who is a level below them to a bunch of casual gamers who aren’t anywhere in that orbit.

Acknowledging that 0.1% of players are better than you but that you're better than the other 99.9% of players is still boasting. It's just an attempt at getting away with it, as opposed to making no attempt.

Reactions: GreytWun

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
From your first post in this thread: "But, no matter what anybody wants to say, eSports players are indeed athletes."

From your second post in this thread: "I'm sorry, but your wrong with this one. Competitive gamers are athletes."

From a post of yours earlier today: "Here’s the truth, coming from a .1% player; Pro gamers are atheletes."

You haven't just been expressing your opinion in this thread. You've been arguing that something is a fact. Of course people are going to argue back, but don't spin that as people trying to change your opinion because they don't agree with it.

You've suggested that you are or were once a competitive gamer and you've said that competitive gamers and pro gamers are both athletes (see above). Any difference between the two doesn't seem to be very relevant to the discussion.
Then you don’t know what a competitive gamer is.

Where have I stated I’m a pro gamer? I’ve stated I’m a .1% player, and have played with and against pro gamers, but not once have I stated I am either a pro gamer or an athelete.

You also said that because I have sponsors I’m a pro gamer.

On YouTube kids, most of the big channels have sponsors, are they pro-children now?

Just take the L, bro.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
1. True, but the hive mind mentality going on needs a reset. I think it’s foolish not calling these kids atheletes and there’s nothing anybody here can say that could change my mind.

If it wasn’t me, but somebody else, I’d say the exact same thing. I don’t have to make up I was some great gamer 20 years ago or boast about beating ninja, I am a good gamer now during the most cutthroat time in PVP, and I am nowhere near these kids. You can put as much or as little into that as you want, it’s not going to effect me or my opinion.

If I wanted to boast, I’d post up a video where I wrecked somebody with 200k hype who would make Ninja, a player somebody here boasted about beating, cry. Or say after playing today I’ll be a top ten player in the world and would surely be a top 50 player at seasons end which is five months away if I don’t play again the rest of the season.

Offering my opinion isn’t boasting.

3. good lord….

4. who cares? Nobody is going to change anybody’s opinion because nobody has the same experience. Nobody is calling these kids gods, they’re calling them atheletes and they deserve that much. If you don’t agree with it, carry on my wayward son. I’m not trying to change your mind and if I do I don’t really care if I did.

If society is trending on calling these kids atheletes, shaming them isn’t going to change it.
These strike me as bizarre non-sequitors that have very little to do with what I've said. I'm just pointing out that your arguments don't really hold up under scrutiny and aren't really being argued in good faith, not anything about needing to defend or attack a person's character. (why are you responding to something about you passing opinion off as fact with some random unrelated spiel about boasting?)

Last edited:

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I'd like to know where you're getting this narrative that these players are being "shamed" for being good at video games. It seems like an attempt to claim the moral position in the argument and deflect attention from you shaming posters for not being good at games.

Acknowledging that 0.1% of players are better than you but that you're better than the other 99.9% of players is still boasting. It's just an attempt at getting away with it, as opposed to making no attempt.
1. Ok, show me proof your good.

I’ll wait

2.Lol wat? That’s still .1% that’s better then me and I’ll never touch.

Do you know how many people play FN still? If I’m 1% at score and there’s still over 7k ahead of me, that’s 7k players who are better and I would have to grind just to get to 5k.

Like I said, I really think people here just don’t understand the environment around competitive gaming

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
These strike me as bizarre non-sequitors that have very little to do with what I've said.
Yeah, it’s time you all have to start taking L’s on this.

I posted this thread up on stream, and I’m starting to feel sorry for the whole anti-athelete hive mind now.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I posted this thread up on stream, and I’m starting to feel sorry for the whole anti-athelete hive mind now.
Once again resorting to disingenuous strawmen and passive aggressive deflections instead of arguing in good faith. What is anti-athlete about having no opinion on whether or not gamers should be considered athletes while finding your rhetoric invalid and disingenuous?

Reactions: GreytWun

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

I’ll wait

Do you know how many people play FN still? If I’m 1% at score and there’s still over 7k ahead of me, that’s 7k players who are better and I would have to grind just to get to 5k.

Like I said, I really think people here just don’t understand the environment around competitive gaming
Everyone else has to show you proof that they’re good, but we’re supposed to take your word for it?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Once again resorting to disingenuous strawmen and passive aggressive deflections instead of arguing in good faith. What is anti-athlete about having no opinion on whether or not gamers should be considered athletes while finding your rhetoric invalid and disingenuous?
Who’s arguing?

Me- you are not going to change my opinion no matter what you type out.

If you are trying to be argumentative over that, idk what to tell you.

If I plainly state, I cannot take somebody’s opinion seriously who has never been in the shoes these kids wear when it comes to gaming, there is no argument and trying to create one does nothing but waste time.

Would you like me to bring an actual pro gamer here?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Everyone else has to show you proof that they’re good, but we’re supposed to take your word for it?
What proof would you like?

Let’s make it fun, tho.

If I provide proof- links, videos that I’m a .1% player, you have to delete your account.

Deal?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I’m not gonna lie, I’m down to do it.

One person here take that offer who’s been posting in this thread. We shall see who’s a .1% player.

Anybody?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

If I need to prove that I'm good to show that I don't deserve shaming for being bad, then you just proved my point that that's what you're doing.

A multi-millionaire may admit that he'll never be a billionaire, but that doesn't preclude him from boasting about his wealth to everyone who'll never be a millionaire.

If you haven't noticed, you've been fighting everyone here and haven't made an argument that anyone has accepted or even thought had merit, but we should be the ones to admit defeat? Now, you're also challenging posters to a bet in which the loser deletes his account? You can't be serious. I'm starting to wonder if you're trolling us.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Who’s arguing?

Me- you are not going to change my opinion no matter what you type out.

If you are trying to be argumentative over that, idk what to tell you.

If I plainly state, I cannot take somebody’s opinion seriously who has never been in the shoes these kids wear when it comes to gaming, there is no argument and trying to create one does nothing but waste time.

Would you like me to bring an actual pro gamer here?
Why do you keep replying to me about things that I never brought up?

My point has been that you being a pro gamer doesn't help your point, it hurts it. How would bringing an actual pro gamer address that? That would just be showing off the bubble that reinforces your circular argument, just like bringing up that your chat implicitly agrees with you does. You'd just be pointing out more things to defer to rather than making valid points, which was the problem with your rhetoric in the first place.

Also, this weird goal-post-moving "I'm not making an argument" angle was already dismantled by Osprey. An opinion becomes a factual claim being "argued" the moment you frame it as (in your words) "truth" that ought to be "taken more seriously" and "trusted" over other opinions, that you call "wrong" "no matter what".

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Why do you keep replying to me about things that I never brought up?

He's done that to me, too. I haven't once mentioned how good I am at games or based any of my arguments on it, yet he strangely just asked me to prove how good I am. He also just challenged everyone else to do the same so that "we shall see who’s a .1% player." For some reason, he seems to think that we're all just measuring ourselves against him, but he's the only one measuring here.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Hmm

So esports isn’t athletic or a competition?

Who ever said that?

Hold on, here’s Shannon Sharpe and Joe Rogan saying esport players are atheletes;

You conveniently left out why Shannon Sharpe thinks it's a sport, his reasoning was that other people in the sports industry have bought esports teams, which is a pretty terrible argument for something being a sport. Skip Bayless, someone who watches sports for a living, said it wasn't a sport because there's nothing athletic about it, it's just a skill. Then Sharpe says "it's a mental sport," making a distinction between traditional sports and esports.

Rogan is talking about the comparison of snooker to esports, which doesn't really move the needle much. He also never says it's a sport in that video, he says it's skillful and happening in a digital realm.

I'd like to add that Rogan always mentions how he's a moron and knows nothing, so the fact you're using him (and a terrible out of context clip) as some sort of authority on the subject is sad.

Here’s Rick Fox saying the same;

Rick Fox starts off by using the fact that colleges give out scholarships to people for esports and that the federal government acknowledges esports players as athletes as evidence that they are. He also followed that up by saying that he's not there to debate where they "slot in" in comparison to traditional sports and then says, "they are digital athletes, professional digital athletes." Weird he calls them "digital athletes" if they're just athletes?

He then goes on to talk about how much commitment they have and how much money they make, which has nothing to do with whether something is or isn't a sport. After that he starts fumbling around with the word professional, professional gamer or basketball player, but that's not what is being debated. Professional gamers are professionals, they just aren't athletes.

At no point in either of these videos does anyone actually make a coherent argument for why professional gamers are athletes. They all talk about the same things, commitment, reflexes, mental toughness, the money, etc. but never about actual athleticism. If you don't think athleticism is required for something to be a sport then that's a you problem.

These guys are atheletes. I’ve also stated that I streamed with Bryce Harper and he considers esport gamers atheletes.

Great.

Now, do I consider the opinion of actual atheletes? Or randos on a message board who have never played in money tournaments yet claim they have without any proof?

I get it, many here have played video games and think because the are familiar with them they are suddenly experts at them. It doesn’t work that way, but ok.

Wait a second, if actual athletes (funny you use that term, eh?) have never played video games at the level you're claiming we need to have played at in order to have an opinion, how come they get to have an opinion? Traditionally speaking, they're probably less qualified to determine this since they dedicate most of their time to their professions.

There’s a huge disconnect because of it and the issue is 98% of the members here are not good at video games so they want to bring down the kids who actually are.

Is good gamer shaming a thing, now?

I’ll make it easy, no, you guys are not atheletes, because you are not good at gaming.

Nobody wants to bring them down and nobody is shaming them. I watch a lot of them, I've played against some of them, I think it's an incredible talent but you'll just strawman until you die because you're incapable of doing anything else.

I'll make it easy, you're not good at logic.

I, actually am good at gaming as currently I am a .1% player at FN and have started playing Apex and will move up that quickly also, am not an athelete compared to these kids and unlike everyone here I’ve actually played against them and are currently ranked higher then FaZe’s entire FN team.

These kids are atheletes. It depends on who you actually believe, real atheletes saying they are, or ppl on the internet

If you're better than FaZe, but you're not an athlete, why are they?

Once again you're not actually making an argument, you're just trying to belittle others.

One person said he beat ninja, big deal. Beat ninja over and over and over like these kids can or beat ninja when ninja was in his prime.

Cherry picking again, cute. I also said I beat Grubby, Stephano, and a few others in SCII but you'll conveniently leave that out. Weird that some random internet scrub was able to match up with these athletic specimens in multiple games.

----

I really hope you make it in esports because you're reasoning skills are putrid and I'd be legitimately scared for others if you ever did anything else. You appeal to authority and strawman, all while ignoring any specific questions.

Making money, being difficult, and having a ranking system doesn't make something a sport. You still haven't explained why only people who are paid should be considered athletes, but why that isn't true for traditional sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00