OT: Favorite burger place in Arizona

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Rehab Burger in Old Town is damn good and they just opened a second location at 16th Street and Bethany Home in Central Phoenix. Pretty amazing burgers but it's not fast food.

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
No love for the Habit? That is a quality burger. I agree on Wilderness.. the duck fat fries are glorious and of course the beers are fantastic. Other honorable mentions are Teakwoods, Zipps, Red Robin and the Keg. I still love the Jack in the Box tacos have to get a couple at least once a month and the chicken fajita pita.

Oh and am an ASU grad and the Chuckbox is so incredibly over rated, it only exists for nostalgia the food is awful.

Reactions: CC96

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
No love for the Habit? That is a quality burger.

Oh and am an ASU grad and the Chuckbox is so incredibly over rated, it only exists for nostalgia the food is awful.

Habit is a lesser and more expensive In-N-Out in terms of burgers. But their tri-tip sandwiches are good.

This ASU grad ate at Chuckbox once every few weeks while I was still in school. Their burgers aren't out of this world but they're solid and affordable. Same with their onion rings and fried mushrooms.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
We need White Castle joints here in Arizona. I know you can buy them in the freezer section, but I bet the White Castle joints would do well here.

https://www.whitecastle.com/

White Castle in Vegas menu. I'm surprised there's a White Castle in Vegas and it looks very pricey.

White-Castle-Menu-Layout-2016-09-01.jpg

Obscene prices. I’m old enough to remember when they were less then 50 cents each.

I remember my dad telling me stories about his childhood in Chicago and how they’d get two WC sliders for a nickel coupons.

Was in Chicago many years ago and brought back five dozen fresh sliders in my carry on luggage. Picked them up right before hitting Midway airport. Wrapped everything up in tinfoil and sealed the sliders in ziplocks. Landed in Phoenix and met up with some friends to enjoy some almost fresh WC sliders.

Looking back these days, if my ziplocks had broken they probably would have diverted the flight for an emergency landing due to the overpowering odor in the cabin.

Last edited:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
In other news, I just had my first McD's quarter pounder in probably six years, and accordingly I've doubled down on my opinion that rt is completely out to left field believing that McDonald's burgers are somehow in the same league as In-N-Out's. Not to say they're completely inedible, but frankly they're still the worst of all the fast food chains.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
In other news, I just had my first McD's quarter pounder in probably six years, and accordingly I've doubled down on my opinion that rt is completely out to left field believing that McDonald's burgers are somehow in the same league as In-N-Out's. Not to say they're completely inedible, but frankly they're still the worst of all the fast food chains.
Neither is good was my point. One is cheap and takes three minutes to get in your car.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Mcd's 1/4 lb switching to fresh from frozen this month. Not saying it will top in-n-out, but a good development IMO.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Mcd's 1/4 lb switching to fresh from frozen this month. Not saying it will top in-n-out, but a good development IMO.
I would be more impressed if they changed the quality of their meat. S---- is still s---, frozen or fresh.

Reactions: IPreferPi

rt

May 13, 2004
They did that some time ago at many locations. That’s what I was talking about. Specifically the fresh meat 1/4lber. I get kids meals there for kids. One time recently I saw the add for the fresh meat version of the QPer, so I said what the heck and tried it. It was not good, but it was leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the menu. On par with more highly regarded fast food burgers.

rt

May 13, 2004
How is their hamburger different from any other?
For one, it’s not even 80/20. I’m sure it’s like 60/40. Damned grease sponge. Especially on a flat iron, where the fat doesn’t run off. I’d be more forgiving over an open flame, but on a flat iron, give me 90/10 or 95/5.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
For one, it’s not even 80/20. I’m sure it’s like 60/40. Damned grease sponge. Especially on a flat iron, where the fat doesn’t run off. I’d be more forgiving over an open flame, but on a flat iron, give me 90/10 or 95/5.

McDonald's uses 80/20. No filler.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Then why do their burgers taste like s---? The sauce? The bun? Amount of burger vs bun, lettuce, etc? Maybe the quality of beef? 80/20 is one thing, but is their a tier of quality for beef?
McDonald's uses 80/20. No filler.

--

rt

May 13, 2004
Then why do their burgers taste like s---? The sauce? The bun? Amount of burger vs bun, lettuce, etc? Maybe the quality of beef? 80/20 is one thing, but is their a tier of quality for beef?

--
Part of it is the “cheese”, I think. Also, does the meat come 80/20 off the line and then they add fat on the flat iron? I could see that (though grease fires would be a thing-haha). Tough to understand why their meat is so much more greasy than the meat I cook at home (also 80/20).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Part of it is the “cheese”, I think. Also, does the meat come 80/20 off the line and then they add fat on the flat iron? I could see that (though grease fires would be a thing-haha). Tough to understand why their meat is so much more greasy than the meat I cook at home (also 80/20).
I could see a lower quality of cheese and condiments would produce a different tasting burger, but there is no fat added when cooking. Even the best quality of beef will produce fat on a flat iron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad