OT: Favorite burger place in Arizona

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
It used to be that McDonald's burgers were cooked and sold within 10 minutes or thrown out. These days they cook the meat and stick it in a warming drawer until purchased at which point they assemble the burger.

I think this has made a difference in "freshness".

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I could see a lower quality of cheese and condiments would produce a different tasting burger, but there is no fat added when cooking. Even the best quality of beef will produce fat on a flat iron.
I grill with 80/20. I would never describe the patties produced as “greasy”. McDonald’s burger are inarguably “extremely greasy”. Undeniably so. Makes you wonder why? Flat iron probably has a lot to do with it. Pre cooking patties and then storing them bulked together could certainly be the culprit.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I grill with 80/20. I would never describe the patties produced as “greasy”. McDonald’s burger are inarguably “extremely greasy”. Undeniably so. Makes you wonder why? Flat iron probably has a lot to do with it. Pre cooking patties and then storing them bulked together could certainly be the culprit.

I'd rate McDonald's the least greasiest of the major chains and certainly far behind places like Culvers and Freddies. They're usually bone dry due to the warming trays, actually. To the point where they had to change their entire process to use beef that isn't frozen ala Wendy's.

Reactions: MIG

rt

May 13, 2004
I'd rate McDonald's the least greasiest of the major chains and certainly far behind places like Culvers and Freddies. They're usually bone dry due to the warming trays, actually. To the point where they had to change their entire process to use beef that isn't frozen ala Wendy's.
I meant the new fresh beef burger. I was saying that it’s much better than their other burgers. But is too greasy for me to classify it as good. I don’t know. I’m too involved in this conversation. I don’t even like fast food burgers. I rarely opt for a burger at a real restaurant. Not even a burger guy. Haha. What am I doing here?!?!?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Obscene prices. I’m old enough to remember when they were less then 50 cents each.

I remember my dad telling me stories about his childhood in Chicago and how they’d get two WC sliders for a nickel coupons.

Was in Chicago many years ago and brought back five dozen fresh sliders in my carry on luggage. Picked them up right before hitting Midway airport. Wrapped everything up in tinfoil and sealed the sliders in ziplocks. Landed in Phoenix and met up with some friends to enjoy some almost fresh WC sliders.

Looking back these days, if my ziplocks had broken they probably would have diverted the flight for an emergency landing due to the overpowering odor in the cabin.

I bet he told stores about how a pack of cigarettes used to cost a quarter too. White Castle is the place to buy burgers by the dozen and often used to see who can eat the most burgers in a small time frame. Most people can wolf down 10 very easily.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Some of these burger creations are getting out of hand. Peanut butter? How soon until they make an ice cream sundae burger? It's possible seeing how they're shakes that have bacon it in.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Just in case any of you think I'm lying about the bacon in a shake.

12ob7US.jpg

imgres

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I bet he told stores about how a pack of cigarettes used to cost a quarter too. White Castle is the place to buy burgers by the dozen and often used to see who can eat the most burgers in a small time frame. Most people can wolf down 10 very easily.

Oh, I know that. Had a big family reunion in Chicago that involved three consecutive late night White Cartle runs of about 200, then another 150, and yet another 150 in the space of two hours.

500+, everyone kept underestimating how many they’d eat and we’d have to send someone out to buy more.

Reactions: RemoAZ and CC96

rt

May 13, 2004
Oh, I know that. Had a big family reunion in Chicago that involved three consecutive late night White Cartle runs of about 200, then another 150, and yet another 150 in the space of two hours.

500+, everyone kept underestimating how many they’d eat and we’d have to send someone out to buy more.
Can I join your family?

Reactions: RemoAZ

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Yes, cooking on a flat top retains more of the fat, but it's what most people desire in a burger. Wacth a show like Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, everyone uses 80/20 and cooks on a flattop. Medium is the default cook temp for maximum juiciness and minimum chance of dying from E. Coli.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Some of these burger creations are getting out of hand. Peanut butter? How soon until they make an ice cream sundae burger? It's possible seeing how they're shakes that have bacon it in.

You’re about four decades too late.

Back the the mid-70s Hamburger Henry in Long Beach CA had a Polar Burger on the menu which was served with soft serve ice cream on it.

The creator of the restaurant passed away in 2015 and the store is now closed but he had some really crazy offerings.

Henry Meyer, 1925 – 2015: Legendary owner of Hamburger Henry’s in Belmont Shore dies at 89 – Press Telegram

rt

May 13, 2004
I like peanut butter burgers. I mean, if Tahini is a savory sauce, why not peanut butter? I love panang curry a whole lot. That’s not far off.

There’s an African cafe called Max’s in Mesa. They’ve got a delicious soup that’s peanut butter based and had spices and bone-in chicken pieces in it. Delicious.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I like peanut butter burgers. I mean, if Tahini is a savory sauce, why not peanut butter? I love panang curry a whole lot. That’s not far off.

There’s an African cafe called Max’s in Mesa. They’ve got a delicious soup that’s peanut butter based and had spices and bone-in chicken pieces in it. Delicious.

Mark's Cafe in Tempe has Mulligatawny soup on the menu, a British soup with east Indian origins. Chicken broth base with heavy cream, chicken, curry, rice, onions/celery/carrots, and granny smith apples to finish it off.

One of my favorite local restaurants, hit that place up for breakfast frequently.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Mark's Cafe in Tempe has Mulligatawny soup on the menu, a British soup with east Indian origins. Chicken broth base with heavy cream, chicken, curry, rice, onions/celery/carrots, and granny smith apples to finish it off.

One of my favorite local restaurants, hit that place up for breakfast frequently.

I used to live under 2 miles from that place and never knew about it.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think Carl’s Jr. is pretty much the best drive thru crappy burger. I think it’s a lot better than in-and-out which I find incredibly overrated. The McDonalds natural beef quarter pounder is basically the same as in-and-out, in my mind. I think Wendy’s is better than in and out too.

I don’t order many burgers. I grill them quite often but I usually order something else when out.
A year later and I'm walking back this statement. My in-n-out experiences were limited and done very wrong. The burgers were brought to me from a decent distance. Also, they were ordered for me, and I didn't end up with the double-double. In-n-out doesn't travel very well. Especially the small one. This swayed my opinion in a bad way. I'd definitely rank in-n-out above the rest.

Also, I'm moving Wendy's above Carl's Jr.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
No pizza love? Best fast food pizza? I think Hungry Howie's blows away Pizza Hut, Domino's, Little Cesar's and Papa John's.

Extra cheese, mushrooms, stuffed crust and butter cheese crust x3.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No pizza love? Best fast food pizza? I think Hungry Howie's blows away Pizza Hut, Domino's, Little Cesar's and Papa John's.

Well, that is not saying much.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Best fast food pizza is Papa Murphy's by a country mile, if you don't mind actually having to bake it yourself.

Otherwise, I'd probably go with Rosati's or Stevie's.

My favorite fast-food burger is Freddy's.

Portillo's has good dogs and brats, but like all Chicago-imported chains it's overhyped way too much.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
A year later and I'm walking back this statement. My in-n-out experiences were limited and done very wrong. The burgers were brought to me from a decent distance. Also, they were ordered for me, and I didn't end up with the double-double. In-n-out doesn't travel very well. Especially the small one. This swayed my opinion in a bad way. I'd definitely rank in-n-out above the rest.

Also, I'm moving Wendy's above Carl's Jr.

Tastes differ, but I also feel like if you go to In N Out and don't order your burger animal style, then you're doing it wrong.

Reactions: BUX7PHX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad