Rumor: Far Too Positive...

Sly Jets Fan

Mar 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Apparently it was just a leg cramp, and he's fine. :handclap:

Was it? Damn, I'm not a Buff fan and was hoping he was out for the season. :sarcasm:

Sorry, more negativity on my part. I need help.:pullhair:

Let's just start the season already. This preseason thing is bad for my attitude.:banghead:

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
How can a team that wasn't in the lottery the last two years and not gotten progressively worse suddenly become a lottery team? Everything would have to go wrong for that to happen. Is there no middle ground for anybody? We can make the playoffs, we may not make the playoffs. But I would bet my life savings (granted it's not very much at this point) on us at the very least not being a lottery team.

No logic allowed in this thread please.

If someone says the sky is falling then it is falling damn it, don't you dare look outside to see if that is actually the case.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Wow, ladies and gentleman, you are better than this ... coming on here and drawing all of these irrational conclusions after the preseason.

If you just want immediate gratification all of the time, there are other means out there than following the Jets ...

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Being a pessimist isn't being a realist.

This team can make the playoffs. The pre-season means nothing. Noel isn't a Pejorative Slured monkey. Ladd isn't a third liner, etc, etc.

I will happily eat crow if we jump out to an 0-5 start however, or are below .500 by December.

What would people be saying if the scores for the Boston games were reversed (and by that I mean we lost 5-0 first then 3-2 in overtime), I wonder.

How can a team that wasn't in the lottery the last two years and not gotten progressively worse suddenly become a lottery team? Everything would have to go wrong for that to happen. Is there no middle ground for anybody? We can make the playoffs, we may not make the playoffs. But I would bet my life savings (granted it's not very much at this point) on us at the very least not being a lottery team.
The Jets WERE a lottery team last year and may be again as every team that misses the playoffs is a lottery team.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
I hate low flush water saver toilets. I always have to flush 4 or 5 times and grab the plunger at least once a week. I don't think that I'm actually saving any water.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Related to positivity, negativity and what not - an AIH new guy wrote this and I really like it:

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2013...nd-consternation-in-the-paris-of-the-prairies

It does sum it up pretty good. It begs to question what Noel is thinking not putting that line together once since that first game. Everyone was raving, and of course he broke it up and it was never seen again. To me this is exhibit T why he needs to go. I feel he doesn't have a clue. Others have expressed it as well, why put Scheifele on the 3rd line with Wright. How many times did you want to set Wright up and for him to shoot it wide or hit the goalie in the chest.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Haha.

The thread title is amusing. The team has already said that, win or lose this season, that short-term results won't alter their long-term plan. It seems to me that focusing upon whether or not they win a meaningless exhibition game, or if they should fire Noel or buyout Jokinen is to fixate upon minutia, it means practically nothing in the grand scheme.

They say that misery loves company though, so enjoy yourselves. :D

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It does sum it up pretty good. It begs to question what Noel is thinking not putting that line together once since that first game. Everyone was raving, and of course he broke it up and it was never seen again. To me this is exhibit T why he needs to go. I feel he doesn't have a clue. Others have expressed it as well, why put Scheifele on the 3rd line with Wright. How many times did you want to set Wright up and for him to shoot it wide or hit the goalie in the chest.

Beyond the team performance, there are also player development issues at play.

Scheifele's full potential is as a creative offensive C. I don't understand the logic of assuming that a player can change his basic DNA just because the coach has him playing with pluggers in the bottom-six. He needs to develop as an offensive player, playing in offensive situations. It's not like he can't also learn to play defense while playing on an offensive line.

Evander Kane just turned 22 and is still developing. He looks motivated and ready to take the next step into a dominant role. For most of the past two years the Jets have saddled him with linemates that are either inept or ill-suited for playing with him. I am concerned that if he plays with a guy like Jokinen, he will continue to play an increasingly erratic game. If he plays with a more patient and creative C, he will start looking for holes, playing give-and-go, etc.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Interesting to see that Mark Recchi is a Jets fan and is so knowledgeable on the Jets' defensemen injury histories.:sarcasm:

Wow, seems like as recently as a week ago I was getting jumped on for suggesting that this was a "lottery team" and that Jet fans had their heads in the clouds.

This team is a long term project. TNSE has needed to "restock" the cupboards for two teams, and while they seem to have done a good job drafting future NHL ers and aquiring some immediate help for the Icecaps, its going to be a little while yet before we've got top level talent leading the Jets.

Any success this season would require EVERYTHING to go right. Bogo would need to finally emerge as the star 1 D he has projected as. Kane would need a 30-40 goal season, Scheifele or Ollie would need a huge season and fill that 2 c role, Buff would need to finally grow up, Pavs would need a career season. Everyone would need to be healthy and buy into Claudes "system" of playing the "right way"..............whatever that is. That is just far, far too much to hope for.

To be blunt, this is a very ignorant post. Are you going to try and tell us that the only chance we have to make the playoffs is for all of these things to go "perfect"? Despite the fact that Kane barely scored at a 30 goal pace last year, Bogo missed time and was not a #1 D last year, Enstrom missed significant time, Olli was horrendous, Scheif wasn't here, Buff had a "decent" year by his standards, Pavs was below average, and we had no 2nd line AND WE STILL ONLY MISSED THE PLAYOFFS BY 4 POINTS.

Yet it would take all these things to go perfect for us to make the playoffs even though last year most of these things went WRONG... There's some logic for ya.
:laugh:

I'm certainly worried about how the game in edmonton is going to go now. The Oilers always start fast and our pre season was an embarrassment of Bombers like proportions. Yes, preseason means nothing. But 1 win? I hope it didn't shake their confidences like its shook mine.

I'm certainly worried about how the game in edmonton is going to go now. The Oilers always start fast and our pre season was an embarrassment of Bombers like proportions. Yes, preseason means nothing. But 1 win? I hope it didn't shake their confidences like its shook mine.

What's going on here Res? Did this glitch or you make the exact same post two hours later or what?? :laugh: Weird **** going on on HF lately.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
The Jets WERE a lottery team last year and may be again as every team that misses the playoffs is a lottery team.

Oh yeah, I forgot that every team that misses the playoffs is a lottery team.

I would bet my life savings that we won't have a good shot at actually winning the damn thing. Better?

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Oh yeah, I forgot that every team that misses the playoffs is a lottery team.

I would bet my life savings that we won't have a good shot at actually winning the damn thing. Better?

It's next year that we really want the shot at it.

McDavid... McDavid... McDavid... McDavid

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I'm certainly worried about how the game in edmonton is going to go now. The Oilers always start fast and our pre season was an embarrassment of Bombers like proportions. .

The Oilers were shut out last night as well by a Stars team with only a handfull of regulars They are missing their top 2 centers and I think they are actually ripe for the pickings.

DancesWithWookies

Aug 22, 2011
I had a great nights sleep last night and am now super optimistic for the upcoming season!

-We barely missed the playoffs with all the injuries and poor quality players last year (Im looking at you Antropov, Wellwood and Mittens)
-We have drafted really well the last couple years including some who could become superstars
-Our players are still young and havent reached their peak yet
-Seto and Froolly are upgrades.
-Were in a conference with only 14 teams and 8 of them make the playoffs, a 57% shot of making it into the dance
-Better travel schedule with less time zone change

Things are looking up friends!

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd say the pessimistic vibe around here stems from a couple of familiar things we've seen so far this preseason. 1) Noel's baffling player usage (Jokinen, Wright). 2) The 1 good/2 poor periods of effort each game.

The counter-spin to these observations is that "preseason means nothing". So I guess we'll start to see about that next week.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
It's next year that we really want the shot at it.

McDavid... McDavid... McDavid... McDavid

1) Let Montoya go... Sign some TERRIBLE goalie... like not even beer league good. Keep all our good players while still being able to tank and tell them what's going on.

2) Draft McDavid

3) ???

4) Profit

(yes I know this would NEVER work)

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
1) Let Montoya go... Sign some TERRIBLE goalie... like not even beer league good. Keep all our good players while still being able to tank and tell them what's going on.

2) Draft McDavid

3) ???

4) Profit

(yes I know this would NEVER work)

Actually, it might...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad