Fantasy/Injury Thread 2 (Visiting fans: all fantasy/starter/injury questions here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
What are your expectations for Johansson next season points-wise? He had 46 pts last season, do you think he'll eclipse that and do you think there's much of a chance that he puts up less than that in a relatively healthy season?

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I would expect more if the Caps run any kind of competent offense. How realistic an expectation that is remains to be seen, though.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I would say around 45-60 if we get him some good linemates. (whether it's a center or winger)

Plus, it's a contract year.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
A little. Not really though. He's young. Made a ton of mistakes, hopefully he learns from it, and improves his game.

I expect he will considering his age.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I'm not that concerned because I don't think the Caps were playing a style conducive to scoring period. Coin flip as to who wins, coin flip as to who scores. Can't really make much out of individual stats in those types of games.

I mean, it would have been awesome if he had been able to step up and stand out despite all that, but the fact that he didn't isn't particularly troubling to me. Nothing that good coaching can't get rid of (soo many drop passes :help:)

Liberati0n*

Johansson's production is impressive when you consider that most consider much of his actual play to have regressed since last season. He also was given quite a bit of opportunity with Backstrom out, and that played a role in it. You have to expect him to bounce back in a few areas though. If there's a coherent team and he's in a top-6 role (pretty much guaranteed), and he works in the off-season, you have to expect him to break 50 points IMO. A coherent, cohesive team that can actually play offense is quite a lot to ask right now though.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Thanks guys. Any concerns on your part with his lack of scoring in the playoffs?

Caps were playing a pretty low scoring playoff hockey under hockey so that is part of it. He did have some plays that were HQ but he seemed to hesitate shooting more so than he did in the regular season. Chalking that up to youth primarily.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Hey guys, I've got a keeper league that requires us to select 4 players, 1 of which has to have been born after '86 which is pretty cool. It's an interesting dynamic that keeps all teams looking towards the future. Anyways, I ended the year with both Johansson and Holtby on my roster and I'm wondering who I should keep. Clearly you've already talked about Marcus a fair bit so maybe you could tell me a bit about Holtby, and how long of a leash he has as a #1 Starter going into the next season. Any input no matter how detailed will be appreciated. Cheers fellas!

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, I've got a keeper league that requires us to select 4 players, 1 of which has to have been born after '86 which is pretty cool. It's an interesting dynamic that keeps all teams looking towards the future. Anyways, I ended the year with both Johansson and Holtby on my roster and I'm wondering who I should keep. Clearly you've already talked about Marcus a fair bit so maybe you could tell me a bit about Holtby, and how long of a leash he has as a #1 Starter going into the next season. Any input no matter how detailed will be appreciated. Cheers fellas!

No one knows how Oates handles goalies and if he tends to want to 'annoint' a starter. But I suspect it will likely be an open competition. If both play well (Holtby+Neuvirth) would think we'll see a dual starter situ and let it play out for one or the other seizes it.

MajorPain

Sep 25, 2009
Ovechkin's production?!

He's had a great career so far with multiple 100+ pts seasons...but considering hid last 2 seasons production, do you think he'll boune back?

I'm personally convinced that he will, especially now that he won't have to play in such a defensive/restrictive system. My concern is in terms of his production level. Do you think he'll get back to 100+ pts/season or will he become a PPG type of player?

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
He's had a great career so far with multiple 100+ pts seasons...but considering hid last 2 seasons production, do you think he'll boune back?

I'm personally convinced that he will, especially now that he won't have to play in such a defensive/restrictive system. My concern is in terms of his production level. Do you think he'll get back to 100+ pts/season or will he become a PPG type of player?

I think he will bounce back but not necessarily to 100+ the way points are declining over the entire league. IMHO a system more suited for AO would help..still interesting to watch 2008 or 2009 games of just how many turnovers AO's line would force and getting high percentage shots on goal as a result.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I think he will bounce back but not necessarily to 100+ the way points are declining over the entire league. IMHO a system more suited for AO would help..still interesting to watch 2008 or 2009 games of just how many turnovers AO's line would force and getting high percentage shots on goal as a result.

In a world where rat face scores 60, Ovechkin should hit 65+. Period.

I'm expecting 60-50-110 from him this year.

DiXEN8

Oct 28, 2007
Backstrom

What's up with him? Did he recovered from his concussion? Will he play on the 1st line this year? And what type of production can we predict (G-A-Plus/Minus) ?

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
He'll be fine, no predictions.

The problem was Dale Hunter. Nothing was working offensively. Yet he kept Backstrom and Ovechkin separated. At points Ovechkin, Backstrom and Semin were on 3 different lines, including in game 7 against the Rags. SOB should of been the opening line.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Even if he's fully recovered (which he should be... he was fine after he came back last season) it shouldn't be a shock if he plays on a different line from Ovi. Whether you can count him as a 1st liner in that case, and what to expect from him production-wise, would then depend on how he's used (matchups, zone starts, special teams, etc.) but I imagine he'll see tougher minutes than Ribeiro regardless of linemates.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Even if he's fully recovered (which he should be... he was fine after he came back last season) it shouldn't be a shock if he plays on a different line from Ovi. Whether you can count him as a 1st liner in that case, and what to expect from him production-wise, would then depend on how he's used (matchups, zone starts, special teams, etc.) but I imagine he'll see tougher minutes than Ribeiro regardless of linemates.

Thats ****ing stupid.

Backstrom is entering his prime, he should be playing with the best winger on the team.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
What are your opinions on Laich for this year? More likely to move to 2LW or 3C? He's had some pretty productive years in the past playing LW if I remember right. Has the organization mentioned anything in this regard? Given what they pay him seems more like 2LW...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
What are your opinions on Laich for this year? More likely to move to 2LW or 3C? He's had some pretty productive years in the past playing LW if I remember right. Has the organization mentioned anything in this regard? Given what they pay him seems more like 2LW...

Hard to say for sure. After Perreault and Wolski signed their contracts, there was mention that both were given assurances they'd have a chance to play a top six role, which makes it seem that Laich may be pencilled in at 3C to start the season. But any number of factors can change, and there are other options for 3C (Johansson, Perreault, Beagle). It's also unclear how much Oates will like to shuffle lines.

What's more relevant fantasy-wise is how much powerplay time he gets. Even during his time at 2LW, his even strength numbers weren't a whole lot different than they were last year (though he did see plenty of top six time last year as a center after Backstrom went down). During his three 20+ goal seasons, he posted even strength+short handed totals of 13G/27P, 14G/29P, and 13G/38P. During his past two seasons, his ES+PK totals were 12G/35P and 11G/32P, which is basically in line with what he was doing before. The decline was in his powerplay stats. He's only had 9 PPG over the past two seasons combined, compared to the 12G, 9G, and 8G he had with a man advantage in the three seasons before that.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Interesting. So if he doesn't get the #1PP love, maybe it won't matter too much which position he plays. I would think in any case he'd get the nod over Perreault and especially Wolski (who's been a disappointment most of his career) for the Top 6.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Interesting. So if he doesn't get the #1PP love, maybe it won't matter too much which position he plays. I would think in any case he'd get the nod over Perreault and especially Wolski (who's been a disappointment most of his career) for the Top 6.

It depends on what type of 3rd line Oates wants to utilize. The Chimera-Laich-Ward line was tremendously effective as a shutdown line to start last season (and even had decent production). If Oates wants his 3rd line to be a checking/shutdown line, Laich is probably the best fit for 3rd line center (unless he trusts Beagle/Hendricks as much as Hunter did and they can maintain their play over a full season). If Oates wants the 3rd line to be more of an energy/scoring line, then possibilities emerge for Perreault to play 3rd line center or Wolski to end up on 3rd line wing. With only two scoring lines, Perreault and particularly Wolski are "top six or bust" type of players.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Mike Green

Just a quick question for you guys. I took Mike Green in my hockey draft and I'm a bit weary about it now.... What exactly happened to the guys stats last year and what are you guys expecting out of him this year?? I really hope he can return to form. I also took Ribiero and hope he can get some time on the PP with Ovechkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad