Fantasy Baseball Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I can't believe it, I'm going to the freaking finals.

2013: Joined midseason, last in the league. Traded 1st ovr for 3rd ovr+2nd. Wheeler went first, I took Correa third. Drafted Buxton and Starling Marte in the third. (Drafted Thor and Aaron Sanchez that year too but don't wanna talk about that). Also just picked up Bogaerts, Martinez, Salazar, Yelich (traded for Justin Turner this year) off waivers as keepers before they were anything great.

2014: Third worst. Drafted Jose Abreu after Rosenthal and Tanaka went 1-2.

2015: Beaten up in wild card game.

2016: Started with Danny Espinosa and Marwin Gonzalez at 2B and 3B. Eventually traded Ketel Marte and Archie Bradley for Maeda, which I flipped for the god Pedroia. Someone dropped Granderson so I snatched him for free and he's good for a couple homers a week. Now in the finals. Great journey. Gonna be tough without Carrasco and Salazar, but Martinez and Teheran 2x each at least.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I came into today leading my first round playoff matchup 7-6. All 7 categories I was leading were stone cold locks.

We were tied in both nets teals and runs as well as holds. I trailed quality starts 4-3 with Nova pitching today.

Going into the final matchup my opponent and I each had one player. It should be noted that in the event of a tie I advance based on my 18-16 season record vs my opponent.

Just before the final game my opponent had Goldschmidt. By this point I was pissed because Nova crapped the bed and I got no holds (either clinched the matchup for me). I did however hold a 7-6 lead by this point.

In the 8th inning after some of the worst relief pitching in the history of baseball, the Dodgers blew their lead, then walked Goldschmidt on 4 pitches and he stole 2nd to tie the matchup 7-7. Then, in the 12th, Goldschmidt of all people scores the winning run, to take the runs lead and an 8-7 lead with each of us with one player left.

Those players were Hanley Ramirez for me and Jackie Bradley Jr. for him. In the bottom of the 5th inning with a runner on 1st and one out Mookie Betts hit a hard liner to Sabathia for a lineup and what appeared to be an easy double play at first, however Sabathia botched the throw and extended the inning for Hanley.

Ramirez responded by launching a home run about an inch and a half over the monster to tie the runs category.

It wasn't over yet though. Girardi being the idiot that he is inexplicably left Sabathia in the 6th with 110 pitches against Jackie Bradley Jr. Bradley hit an RBI single. The RBI was meaningless as I clinched that category ages ago, however it put Bradley on base with nobody out with Ortiz coming in to pinch hit.

Yankees pull Sabathia and bring in Parker to face Ortiz and he gets the strikeout. Then, after what should have been an inning ending double play by Pedroia that was botched by the 1st base ump it left Bradley on 3rd with 2 out and Bogaerts up to bat. A Bradley run would give my opponent the runs lead and an 8-7 lead in the matchup. Parker comes up huge, striking out Bogaerts to end the inning.

In the 7th Hanley went deep again to give me the outright lead in runs and broke the 7-7 tie in my favor to go up 8-7. and as I type this Bradley just struck out in the 8th in what should be his final ab. The only thing that can stop me now is insane stupidity on the part of the Red Sox that extends the game into extra innings and allows Bradley to somehow score 2 runs.

It was very dramatic, but it appears I have won my playoff matchup.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I like it if everyone is close, but it's often not the case. Once you're out in roto, you're really out. Which can lead to alot of inactive owners. In h2h you can atleast entertain the thought of a comeback.

I like roto in hockey where H2H depends more on luck than football or baseball even given the uneven number of games in a given week. Although in baseball your star can have six games instead of seven and the other guy's key starting pitcher can have two starts instead of one but the difference is minimized by the sheer volume of games.

The worst thing about baseball playoffs is the annual yo-yoing of rotations in September and not being able to DL guys. That's why I will never play a weekly league, only daily lineup ones. I can't fathom having to be stuck with a useless lineup spot for the rest of the week when someone goes on the DL Tuesday afternoon, or missing a start when rotations get jiggled.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I like roto in hockey where H2H depends more on luck than football or baseball even given the uneven number of games in a given week. Although in baseball your star can have six games instead of seven and the other guy's key starting pitcher can have two starts instead of one but the difference is minimized by the sheer volume of games.

The worst thing about baseball playoffs is the annual yo-yoing of rotations in September and not being able to DL guys. That's why I will never play a weekly league, only daily lineup ones. I can't fathom having to be stuck with a useless lineup spot for the rest of the week when someone goes on the DL Tuesday afternoon, or missing a start when rotations get jiggled.

You can do head to head baseball leagues with roster moves and DL spots you know.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You can do head to head baseball leagues with roster moves and DL spots you know.

You can't put anyone on the DL in September when their teams don't put them on the DL, that's what I meant. And I only have done baseball leagues that are H2H and allow daily lineup changes, as I said the weekly leagues potentially lock you into dead lineup slots for the week.

The only league I do straight roto for is my one hockey league cause I don't like H2H there. Everything else I do H2H cause it fosters more competition.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Man I was down big in fantasy there for a sec. Was able to sneak 25 points from Devenski though. Love when the Astros use him for a few innings. Much rather he stay in that role than be a 1 inning guy.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
God I wish I had spent the extra dollar on Chris Sale instead of Zack Greinke way back when. Not exactly pertinent today, I know, but still

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
What is the biggest regret you guys have this year?

I have two:

1. Not getting Rougned Odor on any of my one year league teams even though I thought he was very undervalued entering drafts.

2. Trading Dustin Pedroia for Sean Manaea in a dynasty when I could have traded Joe Panik for Manaea. That may have cost me my championship (Darko, this is for the league I invited you to. Congrats on the win, by the way. It looks like it's in the bag.).

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I don't really have any regrets. My cousin maintains he would've traded me Altuve for Buxton early in the season. I didn't do it, and Buxton looks like he's turned a corner, but still would have liked that Altuve/Correa connection. I'll settle for Pedroia/Bogaerts though lol (even tho Pedroia cost me Maeda). Still think he was bluffing but I can't be sure.

I also mildly regret Yelich for Turner+Volquez, but I got to the finals and I could not find a 3B anywhere in the beginning of the season. Couldn't just keep rolling out Marwin Gonzalez. Turner is having a career year though, hope he stays put in LA.

Overall pretty happy with all my moves. Getting rid of Brantley for Carrasco is one I really like. Down 74 in the finals though. Might still have a chance if Teheran and Martinez can throw perfect games tomorrow. #AnythingsPOSSIBLEEEEEEEEEEEE

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
8 pts separates me and the finals on the final day of the matchup. The good news is that I have 3 starters going today. The bad news is my opponent has 5.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Well, I didn't switch out Teheran (game cancelled) for Volquez (leading 4-0). I hope this doesn't end up my biggest regret of all time.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
So I've been rebuilding this team for a few years now in a keep up to 12 league with standard 5x5 scoring. I made some moves that didn't work out this year in an attempt to get more competitive. Looking ahead to next year I have a mix of young players and veterans and am looking to get some advice on potential keepers.

My current team is as follows

C Sal Perez Royals
1b Jose Abreu White Sox
2b Ben Zobrist Cubs
SS Carlos Correa Astros
3b Miguel Sano Twins
2b/SS Addison Russell Cubs
1b/3b Eduardo Nunez Giants
OF Christian Yelich Marlins
OF Nomar Mazara Rangers
OF Justin Upton Tigers
OF Andrew Benintendi Red Sox
OF Jose Peraza Reds
Util Evan Gattis Astros

Be Austin Meadows Pirates
Be Mitch Haniger Diamondbacks
DL Michael Brantley Indians

P Carlos Martinez Cardinals
P Yordano Ventura Royals
P Carlos Rodon White Sox
P Jose De Leon Dodgers
P Jose Berrios Twins
P Joe Ross Nationals
P Brandon Kintzler Twins
P Andrew Bailey Phillies
P Brandon Maurer Padres

Be Garrit Cole Pirates
DL Tyson Ross Padres

I can keep up to 12 for next season. It's okay to keep less than that with no minimum. There's no contracts or anything, it's a keep forever.

Who would you pick as keepers?

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
1b Jose Abreu White Sox
SS Carlos Correa Astros
3b Miguel Sano Twins
2b/SS Addison Russell Cubs
OF Christian Yelich Marlins

P Carlos Martinez Cardinals
P Carlos Rodon White Sox
P Jose De Leon Dodgers
P Joe Ross Nationals
Be Garrit Cole Pirates

I would keep those 10 for sure. Let the closers go. Maybe another OF and pitcher but I can't decide on who.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Lol Tootoo and I were clear cut 2 best teams all season. Both lost in the semis. Baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig