Fans of NHL Teams: What is your team's most Heartbreaking moment in the playoffs?

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
I agree. Seeing Fitzgerald score from practically the other side of the state was so depressing. A SCF with Colorado would have been incredible. They easily got past the Panthers.

I don't really remember that game, have never re-watched it. All I remember about that series was holding, hooking, interfering, and rats. Lots of rats.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Sens lost to the Pens in 2OT in 2017 ECF. Damn you Chris Kunitz!!!! That was the beginning of the end for the Sens unfortunately :(

Reactions: SensFactor
Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
Another Pens fan voting for Volek/Islanders 1993. Thinking about it now as a full grown adult (I try) I can still say they won cups 2 years in a row but at the time it just still felt wrong. Mario coming back from his cancer treatment, winning the scoring title and them having that super long streak it just felt like winning that 3rd cup was supposed to be the storybook ending but wasn't. 93 was just a pretty weird playoff year in general.

Reactions: MartinS82

illpucks

May 26, 2011

This would probably still be voted as one of the best series of the decade. To lose like that was crushing. Some of the best hockey I’ve ever watched in my life. So much on the line as it was widely excepted that it was the true Stanley Cup Final.

Beyond me how that player didn't win the Smythe. OT GWG WCF game 7, OT GWG SCF final game

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
1998 Blues v Kings, game 3. The Blues were up in the series 2-0, but the Kings were now back at home. The Kings werere up 3-0 with 12 minutes left in the 3rd period when the Blues' Jeff Courtnall ran Jamie Storr, the Kings' goalie. Sean O'Donnel attacked him and the Kings got hit with a 5-minute major (and a game misconduct for OD). Nobody knew Storr was concussed, and the Blues scored 4 goals in 3 minutes in that PP to win the game 4-3 and take a commanding series lead. I was at that game with my girlfriend (now wife). I took my parents to that for their first (and last) live NHL game. It sucked.

Edit: 2012 was sweet, sweet revenge.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Ducks: Game 7 of the 03 Finals.
Knights: Game 2 of the 18 Finals. I know the logical answer would seem to be Game 5, but Game 2 made it pretty strongly apparent that Vegas was not going to win that series.

I wouldn't describe anything from last year as a heartbreak. Only bittersweet.

Going to the finals in the inaugural year was too amazing to have anything spoil it.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Playoff wise, its either Game 3 against Pittsburgh in 2014 where we led 3-1 late in the 2nd and Bobrovsky lets in an absolute softie to Orpik (I think) and we end up losing that game. If we win that game I think CBJ win that series. But the one that probably takes the cake is last year Game 3 vs Washington, OTL, and if we win that game and go up 3-0 we probably win that series too.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
For me it is still 2002 ECF game 6. Mats Sundin scores with less than a minute left to tie the game and send it to OT. Then Gelinas scores in OT for Carolina to end our season and dreams of a SC final appearance. Brutal.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
What playoff moment or playoff game that ever happened with your team was the most heartbreaking in your opinion?

The Canuck fan in me would obviously say Game 7 in the 2011 Cup Final, 8 year old me basically Cried after watching it live at home.

this is easy one.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
While that was like a knife in the heart when it happened , I think the moment in that series when Stevens was knocked unconscious and shattered his face ... that more than Volek felt like the end of that golden era. For me, that moment serves as a bright line between "unstoppable power forward Kevin Stevens" and "used to be a great power forward Kevin Stevens," and I think those two versions of him are a pretty good metaphor for the '90s Pens.

On one hand, I want to say Pens fans should count themselves lucky that our team has raised the cup five times ... but damn, had that the team won that year, three consecutive cups ... wow.

But had that happened, we'd never have enjoyed the pleasure of playing the "what if ..." game (and I do think it is fun, especially when you can console yourself with other championships). Plus, the butterfly effect of a third consecutive win could have had profound consequences regarding Howard Baldwin's ownership, the team's subsequent bankruptcy, Lemieux assuming ownership and the team being in a position to draft the guys who were instrumental in the team's three most recent cups.

Rich Pilon. I don't even think it was a "dirty" hit, just really, really unfortunate outcome.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Playoff wise, its either Game 3 against Pittsburgh in 2014 where we led 3-1 late in the 2nd and Bobrovsky lets in an absolute softie to Orpik (I think) and we end up losing that game. If we win that game I think CBJ win that series. But the one that probably takes the cake is last year Game 3 vs Washington, OTL, and if we win that game and go up 3-0 we probably win that series too.

BJ's would've been up 2-1 with a win there. Such a weird series, I think first four games saw a team go up 3-1 and then lose 4-3.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
Game 6 of the 1996 Western Conference Quarterfinals between Winnipeg and Detroit - I had to say goodbye to my boys and never thought I'd see them again :(

Of course that has all changed now, but man that was one hell of a depressed feeling.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
BJ's would've been up 2-1 with a win there. Such a weird series, I think first four games saw a team go up 3-1 and then lose 4-3.

Yep. The Jackets also had a near 4 goal 3rd period comeback to tie it in game 6, but fell a goal post by Calvert short.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
1993 Blues v Kings, game 3. The Blues were up in the series 2-0, but the Kings were now back at home. The Kings werere up 3-0 with 12 minutes left in the 3rd period when the Blues' Jeff Courtnall ran Jamie Storr, the Kings' goalie. Sean O'Donnel attacked him and the Kings got hit with a 5-minute major (and a game misconduct for OD). Nobody knew Storr was concussed, and the Blues scored 4 goals in 3 minutes in that PP to win the game 4-3 and take a commanding series lead. I was at that game with my girlfriend (now wife). I took my parents to that for their first (and last) live NHL game. It sucked.

Edit: 2012 was sweet, sweet revenge.

Storr wasn't even drafted yet. Perhaps you meant Stauber? (yes I'm too lazy to do a quick hockeydb check)

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Storr wasn't even drafted yet. Perhaps you meant Stauber? (yes I'm too lazy to do a quick hockeydb check)

Yeah, it was Storr. I transcribed the year wrong (thought it seemed off re-reading it) - was 1998 +- not 1993 (edited my original post to correct this).

Reactions: McRpro

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The moment it got out Kesler and Ehrhoff were taking painkillers between periods. I knew we were doomed given how many injuries we already had. Adding to it... Hamhuis going down game 1. Disappointing as game 7 was for the Canucks, I'm still amazed we got that far.

Reactions: Rometiklan

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Losing to the Red Wings in the playoffs and knowing that we would be losing our team once that series was over.

Nothing is worse than that.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Penguins:

1. Losing to the Islanders in game 7 in 1992-1993 at home. That team was so good.

2. Losing to the Panthers in game 7 in the eastern conference finals in 1996

3. Losing to Detroit in 2008 and seeing them hoist the cup in Pittsburgh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad