Fanbases getting fooled by inflated shooting %s is my favourite trope.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Happens every year. You hear all about this "this player has broken out" and 90% of the time it's just some guy with a shooting% that's double his career rate.

Some great candidates for this year:

Reinhart
Mantha
Hoglander
Sharangovich
Coyle
Frederic
Coleman
Virtually the entire canucks roster
Fabbri
Dickinson
etc

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Happens every year. You hear all about this "this player has broken out" and 90% of the time it's just some guy with a shooting% that's double his career rate.

Some great candidates for this year:

Reinhart
Mantha
Hoglander
Sharangovich
Coyle
Frederic
Coleman
Virtually the entire canucks roster
Fabbri
Dickinson
etc
And then there was the one time it was Tage Thompson and wait a minute what the actual f*** he's still doing it :scared:

But yeah, most of the time...

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
And then there was the one time it was Tage Thompson and wait a minute what the actual f*** he's still doing it :scared:

But yeah, most of the time...
Even tage is back down below 10% this year. First thing I check at this point when I hear about a breakout is where the player is on moneypucks "Goals above shooting talent" metric.

Uses career shooting rates to establish a baseline and then looks at this year.

Some guys ranking high:

Hyman (mcdavid effect)
Reinhart
Carcone
Harley
Sharangovich
Marchessault
Weegar
Connor
Mantha
Coleman
Dickinson

Helps to ignore the guys who are just elite shooters their whole career, like an Auston Matthews

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Top 10 in Goals scored above shooting talent (moneypuck) from last year and their shooting% changes

McCann (19%--> 16.1%)
Kuzmenko (27.3%-->15.3%)
McDavid (18.2%-->11.7%)
Keller (16.6%--> 14.4%)
E Karlsson (12%--> 4.8%)
Cozens (14.7%--> 8.9%)
Stutzle (17.1%--> 9.7%)
Tage (15.9% --> 9.9%)
Kempe (16.4%-->10.3%
Tuch (16.5%-->11.7%)
60% of the time, it works every time

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
While I don't think Hyman and Reinhart are the type of scorers that will continue to score like this. They both are shooting from very high-percentage areas. A ton of their goals are net-front on the PP. It's not like when Stamkos or Matthews (who are exceptions to the shooting percentage rules) where they are constantly beating goalies from medium to low percentage areas.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
While I don't think Hyman and Reinhart are the type of scorers that will continue to score like this. They both are shooting from very high-percentage areas. A ton of their goals are net-front on the PP. It's not like when Stamkos or Matthews (who are exceptions to the shooting percentage rules) where they are constantly beating goalies from medium to low percentage areas.
I agree. Both have xGoals in the high 30s because they definitely get high quality chances. They'll come down, but both are generating high quality chances on top of that.

Theyre guys who'll probably come down from 50+ to 40.

Whereas some of the other guys will probably be coming down from 20 to 10 or 30 to 20. Which is a MUCH bigger difference in perception of a player

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think if you score a goal and it would put you over your career shooting %, the goal should not count. This would give us a much more realistic list of top scorers

The goals still count and provide value, you just shouldn't expect the player to keep shooting at that rate forever.

"a common or overused theme or device"

Which isn't terrible. Fallacy would imply that it's a false belief necessarily.
Fallacy could work I think. This would be an example of the hot hand fallacy, where a recent hot streak convinces people it is the new normal despite the underlying odds remaining generally unchanged

Reactions: DaveG

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I don't think any Flames fan is fooled by Coleman, we all know its a career year for him. Some of them will argue you on Sharangovich though.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I don't think any Flames fan is fooled by Coleman, we all know its a career year for him. Some of them will argue you on Sharangovich though.

Not shocked on Yegor.

Since this shooting% run is the only thing they've seen, combined with a subconscious desire for a player you acquired in trade to "break out".

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Top 10 in Goals scored above shooting talent (moneypuck) from last year and their shooting% changes

McCann (19%--> 16.1%)
Kuzmenko (27.3%-->15.3%)
McDavid (18.2%-->11.7%)
Keller (16.6%--> 14.4%)
E Karlsson (12%--> 4.8%)
Cozens (14.7%--> 8.9%)
Stutzle (17.1%--> 9.7%)
Tage (15.9% --> 9.9%)
Kempe (16.4%-->10.3%
Tuch (16.5%-->11.7%)
I feel personally attacked.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It depends on the player.

Chris Kreider legitimately went from shooting about 11, 12% in the first half of his career to shooting 15% on a bad day.

A guy like Reinhart, who is entering his prime, may have legitimately developed his game to finish better. Granted, he's shooting 25% this year, but like, he's not gonna just be a 60 goal guy now. It's just a career high and there's nothing really of note there. Every player has a standout year or two in either direciton.

That being said, Reinhart is shooting almost 19% as a Panther over 228 games. I could see him settling in at 17% and legitimately being a 40 goal guy for the next few years.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I feel personally attacked.
Tage and Cozens are still young so I expect them to bounce back. I can see cozens as a 12% shooter and Tage getting to 15. Tuch as a career 10-11% shooter with 1 year at 16.5% was always due for regression tho.

Younger guys have more skewed metrics here, because the shooting as a youngster is often deflated.

Once you hit like 25-26 tho you generally are what you are

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
It depends on the player.

Chris Kreider legitimately went from shooting about 11, 12% in the first half of his career to shooting 15% on a bad day.

A guy like Reinhart, who is entering his prime, may have legitimately developed his game to finish better. Granted, he's shooting 25% this year, but like, he's not gonna just be a 60 goal guy now. It's just a career high and there's nothing really of note there. Every player has a standout year or two in either direciton.

That being said, Reinhart is shooting almost 19% as a Panther over 228 games. I could see him settling in at 17% and legitimately being a 40 goal guy for the next few years.
I agree that they aren't going to completely fall off (reinhart/hyman specifically both have around 40xGoals, so they are generating a shitton of chances).

But even looking at kreider.

8 years at 13.4%.

Then he had those 2 years at around 20% where he scored 70 goals in 130 games. (this was obviously due for regression even with improvement)

and now he's back to a more reasonable 15.7%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad