Thefalkon

Apr 8, 2008
2001bourque.jpg

puckhead103*

rocket.gif

Konstantinov.jpg

claude lemieux hit on kris draper...

claudelemieux.jpg

Lindros lies on ice after hit by Scott Stevens in 2000 playoffs..

b78494526z120090413003109000gjohdg3s1_lg.jpg

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
There are lots of amazing photos already posted. I thought I'd add Ken Dryden in his classic pose to the mix:

KenDrydenCLR.jpg

And hockey game at the Victoria Skating Rink, Montréal, 1893:

a139443.jpg

thefifthsedin*

if there's the amount of blood that makes a photo classic then this one of buffalo sabres clint malarchuk is a top contender

he said in an interview later on that the one thing that was on his mind was to get of the ice as fast as he could so that his mother didn't have to watch him die ...

Clint%20Malarchuk.jpg

puckhead103*

Tretiak the Great...
53072536.jpg

Oveckhin Draft Day...
50999283.jpg

Malkin Embrace Oveckhin...
51914709.jpg

Wetcoaster

lou fontinato fight with gordie howe

53126803.jpg

53124392.jpg

And the aftermath. BTW Leapin' Louie Fontinato tried to claim he won the fight.:laugh:

Fontinato destroyed face (broken nose, broken cheekbone and dislocated jaw) was featured in Life Magazine when he had his picture taken in hospital where they were putting his face back together. Howe dislocated a finger.

3217680641_c5551ecf19.jpg

Fontinato was one of the bigger guys in the NHL at the time at 6'1" and 200 pounds.

He was heavily promoted as the toughest guy in the NHL, pictures of him with his shirt off and flexing his muscles, etc. He led the NHL in PIM's in both 1955-56 and 1957-58. He was the first player ever to receive more than 200 penalty minutes in a season.

He usual tactic was to get in a sneaky quick shot and follow up with a flurry of punches.

The February 1, 1959 fearsome beating that Gordie Howe laid on Rangers Leapin' Lou Fontinato, so-called because he left his feet.
When delivering body checks (some claim the "Leapin'" referred to his antics when called for a penalty when he would jump up and down while berating the referee).

Howe had just decked Eddie (The Entertainer) Shack, then with the Rangers, with a thunderous check and was about to be sucker punched by NYR enforcer Lou Fontinato. Big mistake on the part of Leapin' Louie as Red Kelly yelled a warning to Howe who slipped the punch, took a couple of glancing blows and then set to work.

I have read accounts of people who were at the game and of the game officials. The referee, linesmen and other players were in virtual shock as Howe demolished one of the most feared NHL heavyweights in short order. One of Howe's teammates noted in awe that it was so vicious any one nearby could hear "whomp, whomp, whomp" as Fontinato took punches to the face. Another witness described the sound like the beating of a drum. One of the linesman in awe said Gordie's punches hitting Lou's face sounded like an axe chopping a piece of wood.

Howe seldom spoke of his fights but of this Howe later said, "that honker of his was right there and I drilled it."

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
And what was the story behind that picture of Howe and Gretzky?

from, nhl.com

"But that All-Star Game was hardly the first time Gordie Howe and Gretzky had met. There's a famous picture of them. The older Howe is sitting, Gretzky is standing, and the impish Howe has his stick hooked against the kid's throat.

Gordie Howe displaced Maurice "Rocket" Richard as the all-time leading scorer on Jan. 16, 1960.
"When I met him the first time I was 11 years old," Gretzky wrote. "Gordie was giving me an award at a Kiwanis banquet. Beforehand, he told me something I never forgot: 'Kid, keep practicing that backhand. Someday, it's going to be an important shot.'

sawchuc pics
those still amaze me. i mean the kid looks like beaver clever only to end up like frankenstein.

one day i'll upload my roy picture where he sitting on the nets from an old espn ad, but for now:

image.php

MESSPHU016020~Mark-Messier-1994-Stanley-Cup-Game-Winning-Goal-Posters.jpg

thefifthsedin*

First_Stanley_Cup.jpg

the montreal amateur athletic association wins the first stanley cup in 1893

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad