Speculation: Facing cap issues after this year; who stays -- Buff or Wheeler?

Who stays: Buff or Wheels?

• prefer to keep Buff

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • perfer to keep Wheeler

Votes: 83 73.5%
  • Lets keep both and make some real hard choices elsewhere

Votes: 26 23.0%

• Total voters

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
they didn't plan to draft laine
But that's why Chevy was spending so low cap wise. He was prudent and smart and knew he would need space eventually. They got guys on great deals (low term key on some) and have space and cap will go up too, cap management has been crucial to them being in such a strong position, their Asst GM (can't remember his name) who handles this has done a great job!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
But that's why Chevy was spending so low cap wise. He was prudent and smart and knew he would need space eventually. They got guys on great deals (low term key on some) and have space and cap will go up too, cap management has been crucial to them being in such a strong position, their Asst GM (can't remember his name) who handles this has done a great job!

Larry Simmons hold over from the Thrasher days.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

if we can afford everyone then great
But I don't think that's the case
when laine signs
along with other young players

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Crunching the numbers and if the Cap goes to $84 million in 2019-2020 then the Jets can afford to pay Wheeler and Laine each 7.5 million. With the following major contract additions:

Trouba 5 years at $6 million
Morrissey 7 years at 5.4 million
Lowry 4 yeas at $3 million
Armia 2 years at $2 million
Helle 4 years at 4.25 million
Connor 2 years at $3 million

The conditions are that the 5-7 dmen can make no more than 1.3 million each, backup no more than 1 million and our bottom 4 forwards no more than 1 million each. Next season is a bit dicey which is why Myers needs to be moved imo. After next season we no longer need to leave a bonus cushion for Laine and Stuarts buy out is off the books.

Edit still works for an 82 million cap leaving .75 million cushion for Roslovic's bonus. But bottom 3 dmen can average no more than 1.1 million.

Breakdown:

Forwards $49 million defense $26.6 million goalies $5.1 million

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
they didn't plan to draft laine
plans change. team is a little more costly than when he signed
he's not putting up the same numbers either

Doesn't really matter. Laine still has one year left on his ELC. Buff is not going anywhere this summer

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Crunching the numbers and if the Cap goes to $84 million in 2019-2020 then the Jets can afford to pay Wheeler and Laine each 7.5 million. With the following major contract additions:

The conditions are that the 5-7 dmen can make no more than 1.3 million each, backup no more than 1 million and our bottom 4 forwards no more than 1 million each. Next season is a bit dicey which is why Myers needs to be moved imo. After next season we no longer need to leave a bonus cushion for Laine and Stuarts buy out is off the books.
Great post, thx for taking the time to do this (as have others). That's why I enjoy coming here to read some of this great stuff.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
I say trade Buff for a second pairing D and a pick.

If we had another Kulikov on the back end playing a smart safe game instead of Buff, I don't believe the Jets are a worse team. They have the offensive talent now to not need Buff as a game breaker.
Buff is no longer a game breaker anyways.... he has lost most of his offence ability.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Doesn't really matter. Laine still has one year left on his ELC. Buff is not going anywhere this summer
They will possibly have a year to try and fit the pieces if and when Laine signs the RFA paper next summer with a full season to go before it goes effective.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We'll have $20 Million in cap space next season since Enstrom and Matthias will have their contracts run out.
More like $25 M if the cap goes up as expected, but that is with only 14 guys under contract. Still needing to be signed for next season: Trouba, Morrissey, Lowry, Helly, Armia, Poolman and 3 more. Plus room for $3.7 M in ELC performance bonuses and a little residue from Stu's buyout. I'm confident that Chevy finds a way but IMO we are currently in the last season before we will be a cap crunched team. And what else is to be expected when you gather up this much young talent. Those ELC years go by in the blink of an eye.

Reactions: Guerzy

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I think he recognizes he doesn't need to play that way anymore, takes less chances.
Yes, and I've really liked that part of his game, but perhaps its becoming a style of necessity. I think his mobility is considerably less than just last year. That being said, its not necessarily all downhill for him, as we've seen ups and downs with his conditioning for his entire career.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

Edit still works for an 82 million cap leaving .75 million cushion for Roslovic's bonus. But bottom 3 dmen can average no more than 1.1 million.

Breakdown:

Forwards $49 million defense $26.6 million goalies $5.1 million

so then we can't afford the team?
no d man on the team makes that little

does anything the team gets worse if the jets lose buff?

boyko10

44-11-9
Apr 27, 2017
I understand that there's not much one can do to justify keeping Myers with that salary and I know he can be shaky at times..

IMO despite his momentary lapses he's been a net positive for us this season and he's really grown on me. The fact that atm he is on track for his first healthy season since forever only to get tossed whether we want to or not makes me feel pretty sad. Stupid cap.

Reactions: Jet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
so then we can't afford the team?
no d man on the team makes that little

does anything the team gets worse if the jets lose buff?

Sure we can afford it we just have to be smart with our depth pieces. Niku on am ELC would make under 1 million. There is one. Go out in FA and grab a cheap PB guy for 1 million there is two. Poolman in my scenario is inked to a two year deal at 1.3 per season. That even might be a bit high considering he's only likely going to get into 30 ish games this season and wont have much leverage.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
My first reaction was "is this a REAL question?" :laugh:

Even with the recent turnaround of Buff's play, what Wheeler does for this team, game in and game out is no comparison. The heart, drive, passion and dedication is something we've often complained about when talking about Buff.

BUT

Then I thought about our wealth at forward and who we would be more 'easy' to replace. Skill wise? I'd say Wheeler, but then thinking of leadership and the intangibles that I listed above, those are so sought after. You see teams with a lot of talent but lacking those leadership and passion qualities and they can't make the next level.

I don't think Buff is worth 7.5MM. I have liked his game this year, and am SO glad he realizes the role he needs to play on this team for us to be successful, but he shouldn't be making any more than 6MM in my mind.

It's tough, but I'd keep Wheeler, and trade one of our younger talents for a younger upgrade on D to replace Buff.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
More like $25 M if the cap goes up as expected, but that is with only 14 guys under contract. Still needing to be signed for next season: Trouba, Morrissey, Lowry, Helly, Armia, Poolman and 3 more. Plus room for $3.7 M in ELC performance bonuses and a little residue from Stu's buyout. I'm confident that Chevy finds a way but IMO we are currently in the last season before we will be a cap crunched team. And what else is to be expected when you gather up this much young talent. Those ELC years go by in the blink of an eye.

It will be interesting to see where we go from here. Some teams are lucky and strike gold while many of their young guns are on ELC/cheaper deals. This is the first year we are seeing our team progress forward, so we have next year too before we really feel the crunch and have to make some moves to accommodate. To be honest I hope we can always try and keep those 1st round picks of ours if possible and continue drafting the way we have over the years here. While we may have to trade off and/or not re-sign some guys moving forward, it's still reassuring to think we have Roslovic, Vesalainen, Niku, Poolman, Lemieux. Within the next year or two I think all of these 5 guys will be on the roster. Then there is Appleton, Samberg and even Stanley after that and whoever we draft this coming June. All of these guys won't pan out so I don't want to count our chickens before they hatch, but it looks like we may be good with a good number of them.

I think usually what you see when a team hits our point, is they begin to deal off those type of prospects and their future draft picks in order to supplement and boost their current roster. Sometimes those moves work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes you have to make those moves in order to potentially put yourself over the top. But I really feel with what we have on the roster today and what we have in the pipe, combined with the upcoming drafts, that we are in a really good position headed forward. While I think we will make moves and roster additions, I don't think we "need" to go out and trade for a top flight costly rental or permanent addition with price tags of a 1st rd pick, top prospect, etc. If anything I see us making depth moves this year and next.

I think we are set up quite well for the next few seasons with what we have on the roster and coming down the pipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: libertarian

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

if the team loses depth to keep a big contract that hasn't been playing a significant role on the jets for a while
the jets will be running to more challenges by letting go of depth talent that's still on the rise

he really doesn't have much of place on the jets anymore with that kind of contract

whatever their plan is
It's not optimal to keep a 7.6 million defenseman who puts up 6 million defenseman numbers

wheeler>buff
5 of the jets defenceman > buff

Reactions: libertarian

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Bridge JoMo or Connor or both if needed.

Problem solved.

Some will have to get over the idea that we will have pay a little bit more on these players next deals. But that's completely fine because when the deals come back up we will have more cap room.

Worst case scenario on a bridge for a Connor is we still can't pay him when he comes up but he will have an extra couple seasons on his resume which will likely increase him trade value.

Not sure what the consternation is about bridge deals around here. It's highly unlikely JoMo or Connor raise their value so much they become too expensive.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
if the team loses depth to keep a big contract that hasn't been playing a significant role on the jets for a while
the jets will be running to more challenges by letting go of depth talent that's still on the rise

he really doesn't have much of place on the jets anymore with that kind of contract

whatever their plan is
It's not optimal to keep a 7.6 million defenseman who puts up 6 million defenseman numbers

wheeler>buff

Well, right or wrong(but mostly right), Buff is playing a prominent role on this team and will continue too in the near future. Still plays heavy minutes and is relied on heavily on PP.

And no we don’t have 5 defensemen better then Buff. We have 1 clear cut in Morrissey and arguably another in Trouba(even with a bit of a down year compared to last year). Other then that he is at worst the clear cut #3 guy.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, right or wrong(but mostly right), Buff is playing a prominent role on this team and will continue too in the near future. Still plays heavy minutes and is relied on heavily on PP.

And no we don’t have 5 defensemen better then Buff. We have 1 clear cut in Morrissey and arguably another in Trouba(even with a bit of a down year compared to last year). Other then that he is at worst the clear cut #3 guy.
Ya, Buff drives me nuts at times but he's still a very good #3 who can play a #1. What if buff is gone and trouba gets hurt? Myers would be top pair? Yikes. We don't have the depth to succeed without him, right now we essentially have two #1s and Myers who can play second and third pair.
Newsflash: we can keep both!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

whatever their plan is

wheeler>buff

The bolded is really a bit silly. Like him or not Buff plays a significant role for the Jets and most certainly still has an important place with them.

The team is much better off with both of them and it is definitely in the realm of possibility that they can afford both of them, while also retaining their key young pieces. Framed in the worst possible scenario and pretending that situation exists today paints it differently, not accurately.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad