Status
Not open for further replies.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
I wonder what they were offering.

Darren DregerVerified account ‏@DarrenDreger
Penguins also made an offer last week on Winnik. Leafs aren't ready to move him...yet. #BelLetsTalk

You try to get a 2nd pick
But it might have to be a 3rd

It sounds like Nonis still thinks they can make the playoffs, which is why the firesale has been put on hold

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I mentioned this yesterday, youre going to see a lot of interest in Winnik, Santorelli and Booth from this point forward, but the return will reach its highest come the deadline on these guys.

Theyre all solid locker room presences with good work ethic that is a benefit to be exposed to our young players on this squad. Having them continue to be a positive locker room presence in an unsure environment is a positive thing.

Zero rush to move these assets unless they get what they WANT out of these assets.

The proverbial draft picks or future considerations. There is no way these guys should not be moved by the deadline. This team is done for the year.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I mentioned this yesterday, youre going to see a lot of interest in Winnik, Santorelli and Booth from this point forward, but the return will reach its highest come the deadline on these guys.

Theyre all solid locker room presences with good work ethic that is a benefit to be exposed to our young players on this squad. Having them continue to be a positive locker room presence in an unsure environment is a positive thing.

Zero rush to move these assets unless they get what they WANT out of these assets.

I agree they will likely be deadline deals and may get us a decent prospect.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
You have to be careful with this. These guys are human beings, not cattle, and if players get the sense you're just going to trade them then it makes it less likely they'll want to sign here. That's why it's important to get some sense of how Santorelli and Winnik feel about things. An underrated thing is the ability to foster good relationships with players, agents, other GMs.

imo they only signed here to get a Mason Raymond type of contract. Really we are providing these players an "overrating" service to jack up their UFA price. It's win-win.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Not if you get the reputation for taking on underrated players/reclamation projects, boosting their value for a year, sending them to a contender, and then having them earn 3+ year contracts afterwards in free agency because of the opportunity they got here.

Do you think MacArthur or Raymond regret coming here? They both bounced back and made big money afterwards.

But neither was traded at the deadline, so if anything that would seem to support my argument.

All I'm saying is that we can fall into treating players like poker chips, and that may not be good for us in the long run. I think it's better to foster a rep as an organization that treats people right.

If a player wants to be moved to a contender, then that's a whole different deal.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
imo they only signed here to get a Mason Raymond type of contract. Really we are providing these players an "overrating" service to jack up their UFA price. It's win-win.

Only if they think it's win-win. Our opinion is irrelevant. :)

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008

Hey Chuck... is there any thought process from your contacts that the Leafs will attempt to aggressively pry McEichel from whoever holds the picks at draft time?

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Hey Chuck... is there any thought process from your contacts that the Leafs will attempt to aggressively pry McEichel from whoever holds the picks at draft time?

There will be no "prying".

Whoever holds that pick will be holding onto it for dear life.

The Hanfin pick is where it could get interesting, but even then thats a highly coveted pick.

Obviously teams around the league will attempt to move up to those Top 3 spots, but the price tag will likely make many fans feel quite uncomfortable.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's a pretty pointless argument to make. You wanna make up fantasies, go ahead, but the Flames weren't gonna make that deal. They turned down trading it for Seguin (albeit along with Gaudreau) but that should give you an idea of how immovable it was.

So a pointless bit of perspective. Complete fantasy honestly.

This is a trade thread, pretty sure 99% of trade proposals are fantasies posted here. Some are better than others.

Let me guess, you would not have moved Gardiner for Lindholm/Monahan in 2013 when that poll came out.

This is exactly the type of thinking that has this team in this mess right now. Let that be a lesson for those too cautious and scared to act.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
But neither was traded at the deadline, so if anything that would seem to support my argument.

All I'm saying is that we can fall into treating players like poker chips, and that may not be good for us in the long run. I think it's better to foster a rep as an organization that treats people right.

If a player wants to be moved to a contender, then that's a whole different deal.

I tend to agree with you and I was upset when they dumped Sundin and the so called Muskoka 5 and I think they did it in a very bad way but I think players must be traded to improve your team however do it in a way that is more respectful to their past contribution and loyalty to your team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There will be no "prying".

Whoever holds that pick will be holding onto it for dear life.

The Hanfin pick is where it could get interesting, but even then thats a highly coveted pick.

Obviously teams around the league will attempt to move up to those Top 3 spots, but the price tag will likely make many fans feel quite uncomfortable.

I see very little difference in Werenski and Hanifan to value #3 as much as #2 or #1.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I tend to agree with you and I was upset when they dumped Sundin and the so called Muskoka 5 and I think they did it in a very bad way but I think players must be traded to improve your team however do it in a way that is more respectful to their past contribution and loyalty to your team.

Well said. :)

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I'd take a pick over that. Unless Berglund comes with something? He isn't very productive really.

It's going to be very difficult to move Lupul's contract and he is injured quite a lot.

I think a deal for Berglund would not only save us 1.5 mill in cap but also he is signed for less term than Lupul.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I'd take a pick over that. Unless Berglund comes with something? He isn't very productive really.

Berglund is a pretty strong defensive player. Gets above average defensive zone starts on his team, but is on the ice for the fewest shots against/60 out of all St. Louis regular forwards. He has the best corsi of any regular St. Louis forward (only Jaskin with small sample size of 19 games is higher).

Drawbacks are that he's weak in the faceoff circle, and his offence isn't as high as you'd hope. But I think he could be a pretty solid 3rd line C for us, which I'd take over a 5.25M injury prone 30+ year old winger. He gets virtually no PP time either, so I think if we're rebuilding, Berglund is a decent veteran option to take on a bigger role here and help set a good example of responsible play for our young guys.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Berglund is a pretty strong defensive player. Gets above average defensive zone starts on his team, but is on the ice for the fewest shots against/60 out of all St. Louis regular forwards. He has the best corsi of any regular St. Louis forward (only Jaskin with small sample size of 19 games is higher).

Drawbacks are that he's weak in the faceoff circle, and his offence isn't as high as you'd hope. But I think he could be a pretty solid 3rd line C for us, which I'd take over a 5.25M injury prone 30+ year old winger. He gets virtually no PP time either, so I think if we're rebuilding, Berglund is a decent veteran option to take on a bigger role here and help set a good example of responsible play for our young guys.

I do would do that deal today. Lupul just can't stay healthy enough to warrant his deal and if you can bring back a solid 200 foot player who can play both C and the wing then go for it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's going to be very difficult to move Lupul's contract and he is injured quite a lot.

I think a deal for Berglund would not only save us 1.5 mill in cap but also he is signed for less term than Lupul.

Sure but you could get at the very least a 2nd and save more cap. For me it's all about cap savings right now. The picks are nice but max cap = max potential, play the kids etc. generate some assets and tank. Get a look at Brown or whoever you want.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
So there's a bit of trade buzz around Franson, Phaneuf, Lupul and Winnik.. I'd like to bring back Santa, but the draft junkie in me would love to get a high 2nd rounder in return for him

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Maybe we pull a St-Louis Blues with Berglund and he turns into a Steen-esque player for us. The good ol' switcheraoo. :sarcasm:

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
This is a trade thread, pretty sure 99% of trade proposals are fantasies posted here. Some are better than others.

Let me guess, you would not have moved Gardiner for Lindholm/Monahan in 2013 when that poll came out.

This is exactly the type of thinking that has this team in this mess right now. Let that be a lesson for those too cautious and scared to act.

I don't remember, I probably didn't. It was clearly the wrong decision with hindsight. Doesn't change the fact that it was never a possibility.

THE FLAMES TURNED DOWN GETTING SEGUIN FOR THE PICK. That's pretty much end of story. Your making the proverbial high horse something out of nothing bro

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
I am surprised there is no real trade talk involving Bozak, Lupul or Gardiner at the moment. Seems to be just Phaneuf, Franson and pending UFA's at the moment.

I know everyone is saying that everyone is in play but you would think there would be grumblings of a deal for Bozak or Gardiner if one was kicking around. Even if its just media spin to create a bidding frenzy. C'mon Nonis/Dreger feed the beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad