FA/Trade Thread 2014-15 Season V.7 - MOD warning post#877

Status
Not open for further replies.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Na. Just need a Centre

1 piece. What if Stammer does come home? We'd all be like "if only Phil were here"

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
i think the point is that they don't have to find just two additional top line players, they have to find two 1st line players that are perfect fits with him.

spend more time trying to cover his shortcomings or just start from scratch under your own vision (Shanny/Dubas)

Chuck, how involved is Hunter? any chance his brother is spotted for some coaching position with the leafs?

I certainly thing he will be a coaching option.

I think we will see a contending 3 of;

1. Babcock
2. Deboer
3. Hunter

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Allegedly one is internal, and some people seem to believe it could be based on the performance of Nylander. He is in Toronto to see if he can be brought in to take a job sooner rather than later.

The other is based on another team and its personelle changes. I believe that would open two doors of opportunity for the Leafs on the trade front.

This team HAS options, has ideas and discussions in place but even if it sounds vague, these moves arnt soley based on Leaf managment decisions since Shanny and Dubas are willing to wait it out until the deadline, allegedly.

Interesting post, thanks for the info. Im glad to hear they have a number of things lined up, and that it sounds like there will be some kind of semi-significant change to the roster.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
I wouldn't move Kadri out until Nylander is far and a way better. Even then, why not keep both.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Na. Just need a Centre

1 piece. What if Stammer does come home? We'd all be like "if only Phil were here"

with our current roster we couldnt afford him even if he wanted to come here
...we'll likely need a bare minimum of $10mill + in cap space, and that will be hard to free up unless Kessel/Phaneuf arent dealt. ...or we unload Clarkson, Lupul and whomever else.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
with our current roster we couldnt afford him even if he wanted to come here
...we'll likely need a bare minimum of $10mill + in cap space, and that will be hard to free up unless Kessel/Phaneuf arent dealt. ...or we unload Clarkson, Lupul and whomever else.

So essentially, landing a number 1 Centre after giving Kadri 6 million makes it extra umpossible?

Hmmmm

I hope Lupul getting shipped out is a given

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
So essentially, landing a number 1 Centre after giving Kadri 6 million makes it extra umpossible?

Hmmmm

I hope Lupul getting shipped out is a given

I'd sooner trade Kadri than give him 6mil

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Going to one of the best teams in the OHL (I'm not sure I agree with them being Canada's best junior team) doesn't necessarily equate to a boost in points. His point total was actually pretty strong in London.

I don't think he'll be getting top line time with them honestly, which I think will limit his point potential. It will make Oshawa stronger, and bigger, but I'm not sure it's the best for him from a pure production standpoint (he's only a PPG since moving to Oshawa, granted it's only been 5 games.

I'm saying they're the best junior team in Canada on a purely record-based assessment.

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
Sounds to me like you could be hinting at Nylander possibly making a guy like Kadri trade bait.

Who is this other team?

For me I take the keep Kessel path. It's easier to acquire 2 more top line players than it is to move Phil and acquire 3.

Phil is the best player this team has seen in a long time.

the only way you acquire a true 1C is through the draft. So no, it wouldnt be that easy. If we deal phil we would get a great chance to draft a true 1C with the draft crop this year.

Rielly and Kadri are prime examples of how this franchise should begin shaping its roster. Draft your own players and develop them. It's the only way.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
can you win with Kessel and Phaneuf making 7 or 8 mil per ?
there's little left to spend right now on what they really need - a #1 center and #1 D.
If you rid of Lupul Gardiner Bozak Robidas there's over 15 mil to spend
About 5 million of that needed to keep Kadri and Franson

10 million gets you 1 of the 2 (1c or 1d)
Letting Franson go gives might give you about 15 million to get both if lucky

It would be a lot easier just to trade Kessel and Phaneuf, and build a better core with that extra money

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
there's little left to spend right now on what they really need - a #1 center and #1 D.

It would be a lot easier just to trade Kessel and Phaneuf, and build a better core with that extra money

Having enough to spend isn't the precursor to landing a 1C and 1D. You aren't finding those things with money.

You aren't building a core with money.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Robidas sure takes a lot of heat considering he leads the team d in +/- my a wide margin. For the money he's getting and the leadership he provides, he ain't going anywhere. Only in this city does Robi suck and Polak is a hero

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
They'll need a selke level c to carry Kessel/JVR

Maybe. ROR is that guy.

Something around bozak and gardiner for ror and siemens

The issue is that's no sure thing. So if it doesn't work your 2 or 3 more years in and his value declines

Or you trade youth for a known level player, ie thornton but that makes your window the next 2. Or 3 years. And if they can't make it happen you've set yourself even further back

Last edited:

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Allegedly Shanny and Dubas have made their initial decisions on player personelle and are ready to pull the trigger.

They allegedly have a few "loose" deals in place which may transpire prior to the deadline pending on a couple dominos which one has already been partially set in motion.

This team WILL get a face lift, and I have faith in Shanny and Dubas to make it at the appropriate time.

I leave Nonis name out for a reason, I dont believe he is pulling the strings or here for the long haul, so he wont factor in long term decisions.

I understand if you may not know specifics when it comes to players or that you may not want to name them due to backlash if a trade doesn't go through/never happens but have their been specifics thrown out? Do these changes mean shipping out UFA's instead of holding onto them or does it mean players with term?

Is it the Lupul/Franson/Gardiner/Phaneuf that have been speculated for a while now or could we see a bigger name like Kessel/JVR thrown in there?

Thanks again Chuck.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
I have my money on kadri. Management's as worried as i am about his upcoming contract demands

I think you are wrong IMO and think it's Gardiner. I believe Percy is the one ready to jump into the line up better than Gardiner and his consistent inconsistencies. Percy is playing better two way hockey and Gardiner with that contract isn't playing worth it. Time to shed some players that are not full filling their contracts. I still believe there will be a trade with Edm or NJ involving Clarkson.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
the only way you acquire a true 1C is through the draft. So no, it wouldnt be that easy. If we deal phil we would get a great chance to draft a true 1C with the draft crop this year.

Rielly and Kadri are prime examples of how this franchise should begin shaping its roster. Draft your own players and develop them. It's the only way.

One way, not the only way.

DrizzyTO

OVO
Mar 21, 2013
Sanctuary ||

Makes you wonder how Chicago can keep Toews, Kane, and Sharp and Keith eh?

Nah, we're not trading Kessel or Phaneuf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad