FA/Trade Thread 2014-15 Season V.7 - MOD warning post#877

Status
Not open for further replies.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Indeed

Lupul has to go this deadline. I was really hoping he stayed healthy this year to help that value.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Sorry, it rarely happens. Off the top of my head...Carter, Richards, Luongo(which was a disaster trying to move him). Hockey deals like Carter/Richards don't usually happen. The player asks to be traded (Luongo, Nash). maybe it happens.

Plus if they have NTCs or partial...they won't likely accept a bottom feeder trade, they will won't to be moved to a contender.

Luongo could have been simple, but, the demand was insane, and the return ended up being laughable in comparison to what was supposedly offered.

when high end talent is made available, there are always multiple suitors, if only because high end talent is so rarely available.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Ek has us interested in B Schenn, or Couts for a defender

Couts i would like, another Schenn, not so much, though he can turn out as a slightly tougher Bozak like player.

Couts = Gardiner/Franson +?

another one for one deal would be ideal (but unlikely) Couts for Gardiner
mind you he is only on pace for 40pts (career high if he hits it)

...and Gauthier is basically a Couts clone with potentially better defending, so, how valuable should he really be in the real world vs on HFB?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Ek has us interested in B Schenn, or Couts for a defender

Couts i would like, another Schenn, not so much, though he can turn out as a slightly tougher Bozak like player.

Couts = Gardiner/Franson +?

another one for one deal would be ideal (but unlikely) Couts for Gardiner
mind you he is only on pace for 40pts (career high if he hits it)

...and Gauthier is basically a Couts clone with potentially better defending, so, how valuable should he really be in the real world vs on HFB?

The plus is going to be Gauthier

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Couturier is intriguing because of his upside. B. Schenn is what he is though.

Either one would be decent options behind Kadri and Bozak but Holland has been more then fine in that role. I don't know if we really need another tweener at this time.

But these are Eklund rumours. Not much to go on.

Tyler Biggs*

He is 29 years old. This guy is on the 4th line with not so skilled guys. Throw Mike Richards on the first line with Kessel and JVR and I believe he can produce to what his contract shows.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Couturier is intriguing because of his upside. B. Schenn is what he is though.

Either one would be decent options behind Kadri and Bozak but Holland has been more then fine in that role. I don't know if we really need another tweener at this time.

But these are Eklund rumours. Not much to go on.

Not a big fan of Schenn, but Couturier is exactly what we need

He is 29 years old. This guy is on the 4th line with not so skilled guys. Throw Mike Richards on the first line with Kessel and JVR and I believe he can produce to what his contract shows.

He's on the 4th line with plugs because he couldn't do anything with the talent they had. It isn't like one day the coach just put him on the 4th line. he worked his way down

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

nopers ...he cant keep up with either of them.
...he would be the slowest player on our team by a mile. we would need to resign Jason Allison for him to be a better skater than anyone on our current roster.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Luongo could have been simple, but, the demand was insane, and the return ended up being laughable in comparison to what was supposedly offered.

when high end talent is made available, there are always multiple suitors, if only because high end talent is so rarely available.

If the Leafs make Kessel and/or Phaneuf "available" the return will not be there as it wasn't for Luongo imo.

IIRC the asking price for Lou was - Very good young roster player, top prospect and a 1st. This is around(give or take a little) what a lot of people expect Phil or Dion to land.

Multiple suitors doesn't always relate to good offers though, as Luongo's, Nash's situation's showed.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I'd do that. I don't see a lot in Gauthier that isn't available each summer in the UFA class.

he may be better than Couts ...and that is not something available each summer.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I'd do that. I don't see a lot in Gauthier that isn't available each summer in the UFA class.

I'd do it as well, but not for those reasons. No one knows what we have in Gauthier at this point and stat watching is a pretty ridiculous way of evaluating prospects in junior, otherwise teams would be falling over themselves trying to trade for Michael McCarron.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
If the Leafs make Kessel and/or Phaneuf "available" the return will not be there as it wasn't for Luongo imo.

IIRC the asking price for Lou was - Very good young roster player, top prospect and a 1st. This is around(give or take a little) what a lot of people expect Phil or Dion to land.

Multiple suitors doesn't always relate to good offers though, as Luongo's, Nash's situation's showed.

Luongo veto'd deals, and have a very limited team he was willing to go to, and the GM demands were beyond insane.
At least the leafs will have a list of 10+ teams to talk to.

Nash also had a very limited list of teams, perhaps moreso than Luongo i.e. i want to play for the Rangers only

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Luongo veto'd deals, and have a very limited team he was willing to go to, and the GM demands were beyond insane.
At least the leafs will have a list of 10+ teams to talk to.

Not to mention, Kessel and Phaneuf's deals will be ending before, or at the same time as Luongo's, and he's 35

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I'd do it as well, but not for those reasons. No one knows what we have in Gauthier at this point and stat watching is a pretty ridiculous way of evaluating prospects in junior, otherwise teams would be falling over themselves trying to trade for Michael McCarron.

maybe we should ...MTL wanted Franson ...there is the basis of a deal :D

Michael McCarron+ for Franson

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Throw Biggs in. That way we'll only have one bust, instead of two

...but, then we cant have the Biggs - Gauthier - McCarron size is everything line ...but, we have Devane (who i still think will be a decent player)

Devane - Gauthier - McCarron ...now that is a size is everything line!!

...it would also likely be a hard to play against line.

Devane - Gauthier - xxx ...we could always slot in Ashton, not quite as big, but he can skate at least. ...and keep Franson or trade him for a real prospect

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
...but, then we cant have the Biggs - Gauthier - McCarron size is everything line ...but, we have Devane (who i still think will be a decent player)

Devane - Gauthier - McCarron ...now that is a size is everything line!!

...it would also likely be a hard to play against line.

Devane - Gauthier - xxx ...we could always slot in Ashton, not quite as big, but he can skate at least. ...and keep Franson or trade him for a real prospect

I think I'd rather move Knodel to wing than use Ashton

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
if franson gets dealt to montreal, we better be getting tinordi back in the deal. the guy is going to be solid.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I think we'll be hearing a lot about McCarron from here to the rest of the season as he's playing with Canada's best junior team the Oshawa Generals. His points should skyrocket as the Gens have 3 really good scoring lines

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

Nice revisionist history. Lu trade value was that when Gillis had power. He overplayed his hand though and in the course of a season, that value was lost. It wasn't that he was "available" and then they couldn't get said price. Plus Luongo saying "I will only drop my NTC for this team" sort of kills any real value.

Nash's situation isn't really a great comparable either. Also sort of handcuffed them with an NTC. But he's also only ever hit 70 once, the only year he hit 40 coincidentally (which it really wasn't). People might hate on Kessel but it doesn't change the fact that the guy is significantly more productive than Nash ever has been. But that doesn't fit the narrative right?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Also people that keep suggesting Kessel to Nashville need to stop. That trade possibility is gone. It doesn't make sense anymore.

Nashville has their scoring wingers in Neal and Forsberg now, with Fiala coming in the pipeline. The scoring need has been addressed already. They now have defense, goaltending and some scoring punch and depth. The one thing they are missing is a top center. If Jones is being traded that's what it will be for. If Kessel was being traded (I think people are delusionally convincing themselves he's available but that's besides the point on a hypothetical trade board), as great as a Jones+ return would be, he doesn't fit Nashville's needs anymore.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I think we'll be hearing a lot about McCarron from here to the rest of the season as he's playing with Canada's best junior team the Oshawa Generals. His points should skyrocket as the Gens have 3 really good scoring lines

Going to one of the best teams in the OHL (I'm not sure I agree with them being Canada's best junior team) doesn't necessarily equate to a boost in points. His point total was actually pretty strong in London.

I don't think he'll be getting top line time with them honestly, which I think will limit his point potential. It will make Oshawa stronger, and bigger, but I'm not sure it's the best for him from a pure production standpoint (he's only a PPG since moving to Oshawa, granted it's only been 5 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad