FA/Trade Thread 2014-15 Season V.12 - Who stays and who goes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Such a huge gamble. I'm not sure if Pittsburgh even need to have that kind of distraction around their team.

Why don't they just go hard after a player like JVR? Wouldn't take make so much more sense? Or perhaps another good offensive winger?

It's just... mind boggling to me that teams would give up so much for a player that has shown so little after just one good season years ago.

I don't see how this trade is a huge gamble? Pittsburgh gives up secondary parts and a pick for Kane. In reality the gamble is more on the end if he's a 5+ million player on a long-term deal. He's realistically a 2nd line left winger going forward.

I don't see how Harrington/Bennett are particulartly impressive parts. If Pittsburgh can make that trades it's an easy win for them

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Winnipeg Jets beat writer says it like it is:

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Lawless "he's [E.Kane] not a natural goal scorer. I think it's [30 goal year] an anomaly. He's not a .75 or point per game player"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Lawless "he's [E.Kane] at .59 [ppg]. That's what he is."

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Meh sounds like excuses about his injuries, but maybe that's why he hasn't played to his potential.

He's had a lot of chances in Buffalo to take over but keeps getting put on the fourth line or healthy scratched.

If he gets bought out this summer, id def offer a cheap "show me" deal in the summer similar to the ones given to Raymond/Santa/etc... Has size, hands, had a reputation for being a great leader in Juniors. Worse case scenario you waive him

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I would take a gamble on Hodgson: 34 points in the lockout year; 44 points and 20 goals last season; and then disaster this year. The talent is obviously there and he has represented Canada multiple times. Anyone that Hockey Canada puts on its roster I am willing to take a chance on.

Worst case scenario is that he continues to be terrible and helps the tank next season. My guess he likely has zero motivation at this point in his career (how can you blame him?) and needs a change of scenery.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I would take a gamble on Hodgson: 34 points in the lockout year; 44 points and 20 goals last season; and then disaster this year. The talent is obviously there and he has represented Canada multiple times. Anyone that Hockey Canada puts on its roster I am willing to take a chance on.

Worst case scenario is that he continues to be terrible and helps the tank next season. My guess he likely has zero motivation at this point in his career (how can you blame him?) and needs a change of scenery.

Possibly a Clarke MacArthur type of pick-up

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't see how this trade is a huge gamble? Pittsburgh gives up secondary parts and a pick for Kane. In reality the gamble is more on the end if he's a 5+ million player on a long-term deal. He's realistically a 2nd line left winger going forward.

I don't see how Harrington/Bennett are particulartly impressive parts. If Pittsburgh can make that trades it's an easy win for them

Bennett is a pretty good prospect. Little AHL experience, straight from the NCAA to the NHL with decent numbers considering his minutes. Former 1st rounder in 2010. Easily as 2nd line potential in his game with proper development. He has all the tools.

Then you had Harrington, a pretty steady defensive prospect. Not a great prospect but would easily be a top 10 prospect for us. 21 years old.

Then you add a 2nd round pick, all though it will be a very late one.

All that for someone that keeps getting disciplined by the Jets. Okay.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If he gets bought out this summer, id def offer a cheap "show me" deal in the summer similar to the ones given to Raymond/Santa/etc... Has size, hands, had a reputation for being a great leader in Juniors. Worse case scenario you waive him

I'd definitely take him on for free like that, of course. We'll probably have a nice spot for him to play for after Bozak is likely traded anyway.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Does anyone think a team would except the 5th Overall pick and Kessel for Eichel and a cap dump?

The gap between the 2nd overall and 5th hypothetically is a jump but not Kessel worthy. It would be foolish asset management to consider this as a viable option.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Winnipeg Jets beat writer says it like it is:

That was just on Leafs lunch. Ya, guy basically saying Jets overpaid after 30 goal season, now regretting it and others who are doing better than Kane eyeing his contract.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Saw him in Calgary on Monday night and was not impressed at all. There were at least 5-6 jets players that were much better than him.

Here's more from Lawless:

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Lawless "I think this is what he [E.Kane] is. He's a very good 3rd line player. He can climb up in the lineup if there's an injury"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Lawless "I don't think he's [E.Kane] a regular top 6 guy"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Lawless "he's played with different people [more talented] and it never seemed to make a difference for him. Always seems to score the same"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Lawless "I think the guys at Newport squeezed the Jets on that deadline & got max $ for Kane. Now your 3rd line LW is making $6 million"

Kane sounds an awful like Kulemin but with more distractions and no 2-way play.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

4 more years left on his deal at 4.25

I'd rather save that money to spread out through a bunch of UFA candidates on short term deals this off-season like we've done in the past with CMac, Santorelli, Raymond, Winnik. Some work out. Some don't like Booth.

Guys like Roy, Stafford, Upshall, Frolik, Stoll, Jackman, Cullen are the type of guys I'm talking about that we can get on 1 or 2 year deals and can easily trade or just waive.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Possibly a Clarke MacArthur type of pick-up

Definitely. Hodgkin upside could be a top six 40 point two way guy similar to what MacArthur was for us. He could also end up being a 13th forward/whipping boy. Wouldnt take him on his current deal but id def go after him as a free agent since he would probably come cheap

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Here's more from Lawless:

Kane sounds an awful like Kulemin without the distraction and the 2-way play.

Good post. If Kane had been drafted 20th OA, his value would be much lower at this point IMO. Given that he was drafted 6 years ago, I think it's safe to say his trade value is a little overinflated relative to what he actually brings to the table at this point, and relative to what his realistic upside is to improve.

If trading for Kane, he should be treated as a 2nd/3rd line tweener with a heavy caphit, and some limited potential to bounceback/improve (but it shouldn't be the expectation).

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Does anyone think a team would except the 5th Overall pick and Kessel for Eichel and a cap dump?

Bennett is a pretty good prospect. Little AHL experience, straight from the NCAA to the NHL with decent numbers considering his minutes. Former 1st rounder in 2010. Easily as 2nd line potential in his game with proper development. He has all the tools.

Then you had Harrington, a pretty steady defensive prospect. Not a great prospect but would easily be a top 12 prospect for us. 21 years old.

Then you add a 2nd round pick, all though it will be a very late one.

All that for someone that keeps getting disciplined by the Jets. Okay.

Bennett is a prospect like Peter Holland project player who has second line potential, but will probably pan out as a 3rd line player. He's not a blue-chip prospect and hasn't done anything significant since his first year in the AHL. He's 24 in November realistically he only has 2-3 years more of development max. I don't see him panning out especially with his inability to come up as a winger for Pittsburgh

Harrington is a 4-7 guy, and I'm really stretching when I say #4.

2nd is more likely a 3rd.

If you're the Leafs you have to think if a deal around Gardiner/Kane can be made you have to explore that option

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
1. Franson to Ducks
Ducks 1st to us (return somewhere between Kaberle and Zidlicky deadline deals)

2. Lupul to Preds
Viktor Stalberg (salary dump not even playing in the NHL but due 3.5 in real dollars) + Preds 1st round (get a better return by taking on a bad contract)

3. Bozak to Nucks
Nucks 1st + 3rd (similar return to guys like Fisher, Versteeg, Perron)

4. Winnik to Jets
Jets 3rd + 5th (similar return to Goc last deadline)

5. Santorelli we hopefully extend if not I predict a 2nd rounder for him similar to Moore at recent deadlines

6. Should also look to deal Polak because his trade value only goes after this deadline as he's a UFA after next year but not a long term piece. Only deal him if a team gives up a nice package which would be something like 2 2nd round pick (similar return to Murray, Regehr a few deadlines ago). Tampa is a likely destination.

There are some pretty reasonable trades there. Lupul for Stalberg is a solid trade. Where is he playing these days? I could also see them putting Nystrom in the position; basically getting Lupul for 2.5 million more on the cap while not detracting from their roster.

Same with the Vancouver trade. They currently have Bonino and Richardson in their 2 and 3 spots. Could see them doing that deal without the 3rd. We may have to take some type of cap dump though.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bennett is a prospect like Peter Holland project player who has second line potential, but will probably pan out as a 3rd line player. He's not a blue-chip prospect and hasn't done anything significant since his first year in the AHL. He's 24 in November realistically he only has 2-3 years more of development max. I don't see him panning out especially with his inability to come up as a winger for Pittsburgh

Harrington is a 4-7 guy, and I'm really stretching when I say #4.

2nd is more likely a 3rd.

If you're the Leafs you have to think if a deal around Gardiner/Kane can be made you have to explore that option

But it's some solid future assets for a guy that keeps getting healthy scratched and has been pretty terrible and nowhere near worth his contract. We can argue the assets are good to bad, but they are still solid prospects at the end of the day and getting those kind of assets for a struggling player, both on and off the ice, is a massive win for Winnipeg. And also, a 2nd is a 2nd, no matter how late it is. A 3rd round pick is a 3rd round pick.

Makes little sense to me if I'm a Penguins fan. The reward is not good enough at all.

And if Kane can fetch all that, Kadri must be worth a pretty good penny at this point.

dominicmoore19

Jun 8, 2010
"fan since 69 @CarringtonMike
I'm thinking the leafs are in trade talks involving Reimer that's why he only went in for a while"

*facepalm*

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
But it's some solid future assets for a guy that keeps getting healthy scratched and has been pretty terrible and nowhere near worth his contract. We can argue the assets are good to bad, but they are still solid prospects at the end of the day and getting those kind of assets for a struggling player, both on and off the ice, is a massive win for Winnipeg. And also, a 2nd is a 2nd, no matter how late it is. A 3rd round pick is a 3rd round pick.

Makes little sense to me if I'm a Penguins fan. The reward is not good enough at all.

And if Kane can fetch all that, Kadri must be worth a pretty good penny at this point.

Kane will return more than we think he probably should, but it is the definition of a boom/bust move. He has great tools, but also issues. If a team thinks they can fix the issues, they will overpay for what they think he could be. Playing on Sid's or Malkin's wing for one, should be a big difference.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
4 more years left on his deal at 4.25

I'd rather save that money to spread out through a bunch of UFA candidates on short term deals this off-season like we've done in the past with CMac, Santorelli, Raymond, Winnik. Some work out. Some don't like Booth.

Guys like Roy, Stafford, Upshall, Frolik, Stoll, Jackman, Cullen are the type of guys I'm talking about that we can get on 1 or 2 year deals and can easily trade or just waive.

Is your rationale that they could then be shipped off for assets each year? Because that is the only reason I could see for signing lots of UFAs. We may need to sign one hard-working type UFA to fill a roster spot but I'd rather go with young players. Plus I think Bozak is likely gone which leaves us with Holland and Kadri and then some Marlies.

We have Clarkson on the books and we are gonna be **** for at least a couple years.

It all depends on cost for me. I would not be willing to pay much at all. Or anything really. But if they are considering buying him out, they may be willing to take the euphemistic 'Future Considerations'.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kane will return more than we think he probably should, but it is the definition of a boom/bust move. He has great tools, but also issues. If a team thinks they can fix the issues, they will overpay for what they think he could be. Playing on Sid's or Malkin's wing for one, should be a big difference.

There's no reason for Pittsburgh to overpay if they have to work extensively on a player to get back to where he was.

Overpaying for an asset should be done for a player that's hot or fairly valuable to the other team. Evander Kane is definitely not that, not in my opinion anyway.

But either way, all the power to Pittsburgh for potentially giving up 3 future assets for Evander Kane. It really reminds me of Nik Kulemin and his fall after his own 30 goal season.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

I respectful your post but I don't agree. Bennett/Harrington/2nd for a potential core player is robbery no matter how you spin it. Not one player in the deal will be significant roster players going forward.

I don't know if you're familiar with the difference between depth and blue-chips. Pouliot coming back in the trade makes a differences compared to Scott Harrington. It's a nothing move for Pittsburgh when you're looking to upgrade your wing and you have these guys as secondary chips. Moving Harrington/Bennett does not affect Pittsburgh future at all

Having Perron, Kunitz, Kane, Hornqvist on your wings makes you a lot more dangerous than worrying about losing value for Beau Bennet

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Honestly, though...The Preds need a better backup than Carter Hutton. Aside from the one miraculous save he looked absolutely terrible. Reimer to the Preds for a 2nd + 4th?

I honestly think they could use Reimer and he's signed to reasonable contract for next year as well. Rinne has struggled to stay healthy in recent years.

I'd take a 3rd and a late pick at this point.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Lebrun -

When we spoke with Nashville Predators general manager David Poile last month, he said a top-six forward would be his priority ahead of the March 2 trade deadline.

Just what exactly he will do remains to be seen, but word is the veteran Nashville hockey man is calling around quite a bit.

"David, I think, wants to go for it, that’s the sense I get," one Eastern Conference team executive told ESPN.com Tuesday.

That’s par for the course. If you go back to the Peter Forsberg trade years ago or even just a few years earlier bringing back Alexander Radulov (OK, that didn’t work, but ...), Poile has shown he’s not scared to go for it when he feels his team has a shot. And these Predators have shown this season they are indeed for real.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/
Nashv has lots of cap space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad