FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.22, 1 Days to TDD, Anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 48s48 seconds ago
Glencross traded to Washington.

No news on for what yet though. Lupul's list of suitors just went down, but his price may be set as soon as the deal comes in. I think Lupul will receive more than Glencross in the right situation, so let's see what happens. Less competition for him now for sure.

At this rate, trade deadline day may be a dud tomorrow.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Dreger - a few picks for Glencross

According to Eklund, Boston may be doing a deal soon too. It was said that yesterday a deal with Boston was going to happen, and then not since it was rumoured to be Vermette (whom went to Chicago instead). Maybe it involves us. Also, Phaneuf to Detroit will likely not happen...

Yandle to the Blues is also a possibility according to Eklund, and Chicago is rumoured to be working on a bigger deal too. Nothing that involves the Leafs for these two I assume.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 48s48 seconds ago
Glencross traded to Washington.

No news on for what yet though. Lupul's list of suitors just went down, but his price may be set as soon as the deal comes in. I think Lupul will receive more than Glencross in the right situation, so let's see what happens. Less competition for him now for sure.

Lupul will return less than Glencross. An oft-injured winger signed at 5.25 for the next 3 years won't return much. If the leafs get 2nd + 3rd or project prospect the Leafs should take it and run.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
2nd and 4th for Glencross

pending UFA so not sure how it compares to Lupul but id think close in value

probably with lupul cap would have to be coming back

If boston 1.25 retained on Lupul and Holzer for Seidenberg, Kelly and 2nd?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Considering the career Bernier has had so far, it wouldn't be THAT difficult for Leafs to find an equivalent goaltender. Bernier does well when he faces more shots, but not equally well when the shots total drops. With all due respect, I have a tough time envisioning us winning four playoff series with him in net.

We are not looking at a Lundqvist, or a Rask or a Price here.

Bernier has been solid, but he doesn't "blow you away" so much that you must keep him.

It took us almost a decade to get a Bernier calibre goalie after the first lockout... Seriously, a .915 save % is considered a bad year for him. That's a GOOD sign.

And we're not starting a rebuild from scratch here. Rielly + Nylander + 2015 1st (Strome for example) pretty much give us Gudbranson/Huberdeau/Barkov calibre young guys. Then factor in trade returns for Kessel, Phaneuf, Franson, etc.

We're probably not looking at a 5 year rebuild here, there are already some good pieces in place. And based on Calgary this year, Florida (2012 and this year), TB (2011), Colorado (2010), etc. A lot of rebuilding teams bounce up and down, exceed expectations at times, add veterans in free agency, and dont just straight up tank the bed like Edmonton/Buffalo.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I think you are missing the point of the Simmons tweet. Leafs Mgt is unsure what Bernier is 2 years into trading for him. Perplexed was the word used. Doesn't sound like he is the goaltender for this team moving fwd. Add this to the trade rumours, and a new contract that apparently his agent said there has been little talk on, it doesn't take a genius to figure where Bernier stands with this team.

Friedman says that the Leafs are actively shopping Bernier. You can interpret this however you like. I won't believe that Mgt thinks that Bernier is not their goaltender of the future unless it's from a legit source (Lebrun, Mckenzie, Dreger). It's obvious that the leafs are listening to every offer and will make a trade that make sense to them.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
2nd and 4th for Glencross

pending UFA so not sure how it compares to Lupul but id think close in value

probably with lupul cap would have to be coming back

If boston 1.25 retained on Lupul and Holzer for Seidenberg, Kelly and 2nd?

Thought it was 2nd and a 3rd

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Lupul will return less than Glencross. An oft-injured winger signed at 5.25 for the next 3 years won't return much. If the leafs get 2nd + 3rd or project prospect the Leafs should take it and run.

Glencross just returned what Winnik got except the years on the picks are flipped (2nd 2015, 4th 2016) and no Sill.

Plus, Lupul could easily return more than that. Glencross is a third line player and a UFA. Lupul is oft injured, but he's still a top 6er, and one of, if not the best, winger on the market in terms of skill. Teams will get creative and realize that once Cole is gone, there is nobody left that can even be considered a top 6 forward and will look towards guys like Lupul.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
It took us almost a decade to get a Bernier calibre goalie after the first lockout... Seriously, a .915 save % is considered a bad year for him. That's a GOOD sign.

And we're not starting a rebuild from scratch here. Rielly + Nylander + 2015 1st (Strome for example) pretty much give us Gudbranson/Huberdeau/Barkov calibre young guys. Then factor in trade returns for Kessel, Phaneuf, Franson, etc.

We're probably not looking at a 5 year rebuild here, there are already some good pieces in place. And based on Calgary this year, Florida (2012 and this year), TB (2011), Colorado (2010), etc. A lot of rebuilding teams bounce up and down, exceed expectations at times, add veterans in free agency, and dont just straight up tank the bed like Edmonton/Buffalo.

Management is preparing for a long rebuild, at least that is what is reported. So, likely 5 years.

Besides, it was ineptitude of previous Leafs management, rather than Bernier being a real stand out goalie that it took us that long to find a goalie of his calibre. Heck, we had a much better Rask but we traded him away.

Our 1st this year will most likely start next year in juniors. So, I don't see how it accelerates rebuild. Also, nothing suggests Nylander is playing with big club next season either.

And most importantly, Leafs wouldn't want to commit long term to Bernier based on what we've seen so far, and Bernier wouldn't want to sign short term either. Granted that he is RFA, but I still expect some friction there.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I am fully aware of the reasons behind wanting to trade Bozak.

My question was how does trading him for an asset that has a 60% chance of making the NHL make us a better team? It doesn't.

I would probably trade Bozak too. But not for a draft pick. I would package him with something else and bring in a better player.
there are no guarantees in life, 60% is a number, and a risk, but Bozak has no place going forward imo. Obiviously if he can be packaged for a better return you'd look at that.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Calgary continuing to stock the cupboards with draft picks.

Washington adds a decent winger for their Cup push.

Good deal for both teams. I could see Glenncross coming back to the Flames in the offseason.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Calgary continuing to stock the cupboards with draft picks.

Washington adds a decent winger for their Cup push.

Good deal for both teams. I could see Glenncross coming back to the Flames in the offseason.

Isn't Calgary still in the playoff hunt though? They aren't done this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad