FA Game #4 by Wolfy, AM, & IR

TLinden

Benning gonnaBenning
Nov 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I figure everyone is busy digesting the last 24 hours.

I've calmed down since yesterday :laugh: maybe Moses can reassure me that Vey is the Canucks' savior next year.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008

I've calmed down since yesterday :laugh: maybe Moses can reassure me that Vey is the Canucks' savior next year.

I will guarrantee nothing:laugh:

I could see him as a 2nd line LW, though he isn't ready for that yet. Could do well in 3rd line, semi sheltered minutes. Wasn't going to get an opportunity in LA so I'm happy for him. I'm stoked with go McKeown though.

The Produce Man

Master of Puppets
Feb 24, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

Yeah, didn't like the Kesler deal at all until we found out the parameters we had to work with. Granted, I'm probably higher on Bonino then most. I just always noticed him roast Vancouver when he played us. He will be a big boost to the PP.

Garrison didn't really fit our plans, and again, didn't give Benning a lot to work with. I like Vey, but I'm also a McKeown fan, so it's bittersweet that he was the guy picked at that selection. But I won't let it affect how I view Vey who seems to have nothing but good things said about him. Victim of depth.

I really had hopes for Ehlers, but watching how big the Pacific is, and going by the draft, it will continue to be a large bodied division. Virtanen is a better fit. I'm also one of the few who wanted McCann over Barbashev so there's that.

TLinden

Benning gonnaBenning
Nov 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, didn't like the Kesler deal at all until we found out the parameters we had to work with. Granted, I'm probably higher on Bonino then most. I just always noticed him roast Vancouver when he played us. He will be a big boost to the PP.

Garrison didn't really fit our plans, and again, didn't give Benning a lot to work with. I like Vey, but I'm also a McKeown fan, so it's bittersweet that he was the guy picked at that selection. But I won't let it affect how I view Vey who seems to have nothing but good things said about him. Victim of depth.

I really had hopes for Ehlers, but watching how big the Pacific is, and going by the draft, it will continue to be a large bodied division. Virtanen is a better fit. I'm also one of the few who wanted McCann over Barbashev so there's that.

I really liked Bonino's season but the fact is he's proven no more than Santorelli has, and the Canucks wouldn't even offer him a multi-year deal. It just feels like Kesler for 3 very average pieces. If Bonino and Sbisa are the centerpieces I would have preferred to see them swing for the fences with the 24th OVR.

Totally fine with Garrison gone. Good riddance, the defense needed a shakeup. Agreed with 6th overall, I would have preferred Ehlers but am coming around to Virtanen.

I'm just disappointed in Benning's asset management - Dorsett and Vey shouldn't cost a 3rd and 2nd, respectively. There are players that can fill those roles in FA.

ANYWAYS.

:isles

Bailey - 3 teams all sent offers, only 1 is worth considering. I want a 2nd 2015+prospect at minimum.

Nelson - Will only package him with assets to bring in a Top 4 LH blueliner, nothing else will get him.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Thought Vancouvers first half of the draft went as well as could be expected. Like Virtanen, Really like McCann, and thought Demko was a better pick than MacDonald. Didn't think they got enough out of the Kesler deal. Didn't like the Garrison deal. Also didn't think they were as bad as their record indicated.

I think we've seen the biggest additions the Oilers will make (Draisaitl, Nikitin). The rest of their draft went horribly... yikes. I'll be eager to clean up their mess in GM Game #1 next season. ;)

C-Saku Koivu MTL

Aug 26, 2004
Montreal
Posted offers update in the FA threat, check it out to make counter offers or new offers.

With the real market opening on tuesday, I will start getting guys sign tommorow and hopefully finish most guys on monday.

That means players will sign quicker because of the time frame so I will only take one (maybe two if time allows it) final counter offer by teams. I won't be going back and forth with offers.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
:habs

To NY Islanders: Scottie Upshall + Jacob de la Rose + Tim Bozon + MTL 2nd 2015
To Montreal: Josh Bailey

A lot of good young pieces to give up, but Bailey is a great young player with untapped potential who is gonna be able to jump into the top-six and contribute right away. Josh will slide in next to Desharnais and Pacioretty to start the season.

TLinden

Benning gonnaBenning
Nov 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
:isles

Confirm. We really struggled with the idea of trading Bailey, but we felt we needed to clear up some space with Evander Kane coming aboard and some free agents we would like to pursue.

Happy with this return, we like Upshalls versatility as a bottom 6 forward and to add 3 young assets on top of that is great.

Still seeking a trading partner to clear up our logjam on defense (Donovan, Visnovsky, Hickey in particular being shopped). Brock Nelson remains on the block.

C-Saku Koivu MTL

Aug 26, 2004
Montreal
FA update

Leaving for the day, will be back end of afternoon and will reply to GMs who need to be.

Players that like the offers on the table and are ready to sign tonight are: Stastny, Gaborik, Moulson, Iginla, Jokinen, Vrbata, Ott, Komarov.

Players with good offers that could sign tonight but might wait on monday to sign in hope of seeing another team step up with a higher offer are: Callahan, Vanek, Hemsky, Michalek, Kulemin, Pouliot, Downie, McClement.

Other guys with offers are going to sign tonight.

Check the FA threat, as been updated, you know what to do. I need final offers by GMs for the players.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Well this Ehrhoff news makes me look like an idiot :laugh:

HA!

On that topic, I see him ending up in Edmonton.

Draisaitl will be there next season, and he's exactly what they need. They've got the cap room, and I think they open up the vault for him to play with the most highly touted German player to ever walk into the league.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
HA!

On that topic, I see him ending up in Edmonton.

Draisaitl will be there next season, and he's exactly what they need. They've got the cap room, and I think they open up the vault for him to play with the most highly touted German player to ever walk into the league.

Really don't see that happening. Isn't the reason Buffalo is buying him out because Ehrhoff wanted out of the re-building situation in Buffalo? Doubt he goes to another bottom feeder in Edmonton.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Really don't see that happening. Isn't the reason Buffalo is buying him out because Ehrhoff wanted out of the re-building situation in Buffalo? Doubt he goes to another bottom feeder in Edmonton.

Main difference being that Edmonton does have a core of young talent to build around. Buffalo has nothing of the same ilk... good prospects, but actively trying to rebuild. Edmonton wants to win now, and I think they would love to have Ehrhoff on the same squad as their new prized draft pick.

If Niskanen, who in years past (especially in these games) was a highly replaceable part, and had one good season, is apparently worth 6M$, imagine what they will pay for a long-term reliable defenceman like Ehrhoff! Wouldn't be surprised to see it go up to 6.5M$.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Money talks.

It does, but Ehrhoff has made $22M from Buffalo over the last 3 seasons and will continue to be paid about $850K from the Sabres over the next 14 years. Money shouldn't and likely won't be the deciding factor for him. If he wants out of Buffalo my guess is he wants to sign with a contending team.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Main difference being that Edmonton does have a core of young talent to build around. Buffalo has nothing of the same ilk... good prospects, but actively trying to rebuild. Edmonton wants to win now, and I think they would love to have Ehrhoff on the same squad as their new prized draft pick.

But is Ehrhoff the difference between a bottom 3 finish and post-season contender? Doubtful and I don't think Ehrhoff thinks that either. He won't have a shortage of contending teams willing to give him a good contract.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
But is Ehrhoff the difference between a bottom 3 finish and post-season contender? Doubtful and I don't think Ehrhoff thinks that either. He won't have a shortage of contending teams willing to give him a good contract.

Oh you're spot on with the fact that other teams will want him. I see Detroit making a big time push for him.

That said, it's a balance of long-term prospects, competitiveness, and cold hard cash.

I think the Oilers have the first and third of those - an excellent batch or prospects, on top of the ability to throw him 6-6.5M$ a year over the next 5 years. Not many competitive teams are going to be able to throw those kinds of dollars around.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto

Yeah that's absolutely true. Colorado, Anaheim (although im not sure they would want another PMD), Detroit, Los Angeles (cap room?), Minnesota, San Jose, should all take a look at him. Mid ranged teams like the Caps, Leafs, Canes, predators too. Also never count the Flyers or Rangers out when it comes to UFAs! Even the Isles and Panthers would probably be in the running.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Everything Wolfy is saying. I look forward to opening next seasons GM Game with a duo of Deutsch on the roster. :D

C-Saku Koivu MTL

Aug 26, 2004
Montreal
Lots of fowards have just signed deals.

Guys with offers could sign soon. Quite a few good players with no offers waiting for one. Some GMs could get a good bargain.

I want all my players signed by tommorow so when making your offers, make it your best or you could finish second.

***Remember to check in the FA threat for the latest update on offers.
Thomas Vanek situation is getting interesting.

Last edited:

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I apologize for falling out of this.

My girlfriends uncle was involved in an ATV accident yesterday so pretty much right after I got off of work I drove her to Ottawa. We left there at 2:15 this morning and got back home at 5:00a.m.

Needless to say, the past 24 hours have been crazy.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
I apologize for falling out of this.

My girlfriends uncle was involved in an ATV accident yesterday so pretty much right after I got off of work I drove her to Ottawa. We left there at 2:15 this morning and got back home at 5:00a.m.

Needless to say, the past 24 hours have been crazy.

Hope all is well, and that he is ok man. Real life is real life man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad