Speculation: FA frenzy over - Now the Dogdays begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Just because you don't need a Lundqvist doesn't mean just because you have one you shouldn't have one.

Oh I agree. Having a Lundqvist at the beginning/in his prime and nearing the end are two different things though. You trade Lundqvist and you kind of have to blow it all up. Many Rangers fans that want a rebuild would get it and Lundqvist would also likely get his cup. Win-win.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Suggest the Rangers blow it up when that clearly isn't a possibility and nobody panics because it's all "part of the plan"

Suggest the Rangers make a quick re-tool which is much more realistic and everyone loses their minds.

Gorton: 'You know, I just ...'do' things.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It isn't as big of a deal as it seems. Other teams have shown that you don't need a Lundqvist to win the cup if you have the right team in front of the goaltender. That is something we have never known because our goaltender was/is our team.

Lundqvist + Raanta to Dallas for Niemi + Lehtonen + Nuke + 1st + ?

You just know this would mean that Niemi or Lehtonen has a Vezina caliber year and we get bounced in the 2nd round. :laugh:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Quick re-tool entails what? Let's hear it. Don't say you don't have the time. You sound like Trump when he is asked for details about his plan.

EDIT - But really, what you do, is everything in your GD power to get Staal and Girardi the **** off of this team and keep Yandle.

Trade Nash for puck moving RHD who can play with Staal, prospect, draft pick.
Buy out Girardi.
Sign Vrbata if he'll come cheap.
Don't trade for Holden.
Re-build the defense with players who can move the puck like Nakladal. Play McIlrath and Skjei.
Keep mostly in tact the offense that finished 7th in the league last season.

Kreider - Stepan - Vrbata
Miller - Brassard - Zuccarello
Buchnevich - Hayes - Grabner
Gerbe - Lindberg/Hrivik - Fast

McDonagh - Klein
Staal - Nash_Trade
Skjei - McIlrath
Nakladal

Hank
Raanta

This team has a good mixture of veterans and youth. You start to recoup assets via Nash. You fill a glaring need for the Rangers on the backend with more mobile players (mobile in the sense that when they get the puck in the corner in their own zone, they don't **** their pants, close their eyes, and chuck it up the boards). You fill a need with a RWer who shoots right and isn't afraid to shoot the puck - who will certainly help a lot more on the PP than at 5v5. I know AV likes using Stepan a little more defensively, so Grabner/Fast can fill in when need be if Vrbata needs to shave minutes to be fresh for late game Power Plays.

Please feel free to enlighten us with your full on blow it up rebuild that saves the Rangers.

KreiderHouseRules*

1) McDonagh & Stepan for Duchene & Barrie

2) Klein for Pulkkinen & 4th

Nash Duchene Buchnevich
Kreider Brassard Zuccarello
Miller Hayes Pulkkinen
Grabner Lindberg Fast
Hrivik
Glass
Gerbe

Staal Barrie
Skjei McIlrath
Holden Girardi
Clendening
Graves

Lundqvist
Raanta

Interesting.

KreiderHouseRules*

I really feel bad for any team that acquires Barrie and sticks him on their top pairing.

What a silly thing to say!

...because we've got so many top-pairing RDs, right?!

Girardi?

Klein?

McIlrath?

Who needs Tyson Barrie when you've already got the dream team?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
EDIT - But really, what you do, is everything in your GD power to get Staal and Girardi the **** off of this team and keep Yandle.

Buy out Girardi.
Don't trade for Holden.
Re-build the defense with players who can move the puck like Nakladal. Play McIlrath and Skjei.

McDonagh - Klein
Staal - Nash_Trade
Skjei - McIlrath
Nakladal

Hank
Raanta

This team has a good mixture of veterans and youth. You start to recoup assets via Nash. You fill a glaring need for the Rangers on the backend with more mobile players (mobile in the sense that when they get the puck in the corner in their own zone, they don't **** their pants, close their eyes, and chuck it up the boards). You fill a need with a RWer who shoots right and isn't afraid to shoot the puck - who will certainly help a lot more on the PP than at 5v5. I know AV likes using Stepan a little more defensively, so Grabner/Fast can fill in when need be if Vrbata needs to shave minutes to be fresh for late game Power Plays.

Please feel free to enlighten us with your full on blow it up rebuild that saves the Rangers.

If the bolded were a possibility, don't you think Gorton would have pulled the trigger on it?

That team isn't any better than this year's was.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Oilers traded Hall for a RHD, Why would the Rangers get back a RHD a comparable or even very good RHD for Nash if the other team is also adding in picks/prospects?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If the bolded were a possibility, don't you think Gorton would have pulled the trigger on it?

I have no idea.

That team isn't any better than this year's was.

post-37129-yeah-well-you-know-thats-just-ciRL.gif

Oilers traded Hall for a RHD, Why would the Rangers get back a RHD a comparable or even very good RHD for Nash if the other team is also adding in picks/prospects?

I think it's more likely that a GM made a ****ty trade than it is that being the current market for an RHD. If that is the market for an RHD, then Girardi wouldn't be on this team anymore. Neither would Klein, for that matter.

And if that's the market for D in general [which I don't believe it is], we should 100% trade McDonagh because if Larsson can get Hall, then I can't even fathom what McDonagh would get.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Trade Nash, Brass, Zucca, Klein, Staal. Keep Girardi but buy him out next offseason.

Stepan/McDonagh stay unless I get an offer that blows me out of the water. No trade for Shattenkirk.

That's what I'd do.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Quick re-tool entails what? Let's hear it. Don't say you don't have the time.

You do realize that some of the people that argue with you (like me) really aren't criticizing your thought process but merely saying it's something the Rangers just won't do?

They aren't going to blow **** up for the sake of higher draft picks. They're not going to tank. They're not going to field a team of youngsters and hope that it comes together in 3-5 years. Can you name the last time a Rangers team pulled a Buffalo and went all youth and EXPECTED to fail early in the process?

For better or for worse, it's just not something that this franchise ever does nor is it something that we should expect will change any time soon.

Badko

Jan 9, 2007
He's 32. His cap hit is 7.8 mil. He has 2 years left on his contract.

Are we re-signing him at age 34? If not, what's the point of holding onto him? It's far better to trade him for something of value than to let him walk.

The trade doesn't have to happen right now, but it does have to happen.

IMHO, as long as we have Henrik in net, management believes we have a shot at the cup. Having Nash on the ice this season probably gives us a better chance than anyone we might receive in return from a trade. Not to mention, the concerns we have about Nash aren't a big secret unknown to the rest of the league. We won't get fair value for him.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

Buy out Girardi.
Don't trade for Holden.

Of the kinds of assets you're talking about, there just aren't many available. Most teams with top-4 RH PMDs aren't moving them. Staal and Girardi are tough sells, and teams aren't going to go for them unless they're at plan C. (Or G or S).

Of course the D needs to be more mobile, but it's far easier said than done, especially when teams aren't naive to the rules of the expansion draft and (rightly) value their top-4 PMDs.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Of the kinds of assets you're talking about, there just aren't many available. Most teams with top-4 RH PMDs aren't moving them. Staal and Girardi are tough sells, and teams aren't going to go for them unless they're at plan C. (Or G or S).

Of course the D needs to be more mobile, but it's far easier said than done, especially when teams aren't naive to the rules of the expansion draft and (rightly) value their top-4 PMDs.

Are you sure it's easier said than done? Look at what the Panthers did this off-season. Look at what the Pens did during the season. People point to the Pens and say: Look, speed and generational talents! And ignore the fact that Sullivan came in, took a look at the personnel he had, and injected a huge part of their playoff success into the team.

lines-PIT-D.png

^ This had just as much to do with the Pens success last year as Crosby/Malkin.

It's easy if you're looking for the right players, but 85% of this board refuses to see what makes a good defense in today's NHL. So when you post a defensive alignment of

McDonagh - Klein
Staal - Puck-Moving-RDH
Skjei - McIlrath

people think that it's "just as good as"

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Yandle - Klein

which is just plain wrong, IMHO.

Last edited:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think it's more likely that a GM made a ****ty trade than it is that being the current market for an RHD. If that is the market for an RHD, then Girardi wouldn't be on this team anymore. Neither would Klein, for that matter.

And if that's the market for D in general [which I don't believe it is], we should 100% trade McDonagh because if Larsson can get Hall, then I can't even fathom what McDonagh would get.

I think he made a bad trade, but also believe RHD is one of the tougher positions to fill.

Girardi and Klein are not 23 and signed until they are going to be 28 with a ~$4.1M cap hit, or projected to be anything other than what they are.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I really feel bad for any team that acquires Barrie and sticks him on their top pairing.

This is the most ludicrous thing I've read all day.

Barrie is a top pairing Dman, thats just entering his prime, who can move the puck.

Any team that acquires him won't be feeling bad, I can promise you that

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Quite happy with our off season. Go into the season standing pat. The time to make the big moves will be at the trade deadline, not now. Teams overpay at the deadline. See if Staal or Girardi improve their play. If so, a team with Cup aspirations will make a deal. Look at our pathetic GM. Gave away 4 first rounders, two second rounders, Duclair, Saarela at the deadline. Costs of overhaul during the summer are prohibitive. Patience is imperative and no knee jerk reactions

At this point I agree 100% with you, unless someone is willing to over pay now!
The issue I see of moving guys out at the deadline, is that, we will be a bubble playoff team, and if we sell at that point,:) the core will not like that...screw the core at this point...

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Buy out Girardi.
Don't trade for Holden.

McDonagh - Klein
Staal - Nash_Trade
Skjei - McIlrath
Nakladal

Hank
Raanta

That's a plan of delaying the inevitable. You have Vrbata playing on the 1st line. You already know my plan. Liquidate the roster over the next calendar year. Get younger and cheaper. Acquire as many young players, prospects and first rounders as possible. I am surprised you didn't propose trading Miller. Vadim Vrbata?????!!!!!!??????!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad