Speculation: FA frenzy over - Now the Dogdays begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Eh, I don't know about that. I've been a long-time Kreider supporter, but I mentioned a couple months ago that it might be time to cash in on what Kreids "could be" in the eyes of another team. If a team can give us a piece we need because they think Kreider still has 30 goal potential, I think that is a move you can make with confidence.

The team has some major issues on the blue line, we all know that, but we still lack that puck moving defender. With McD, Staal and Skjei likely penciled in on the left, could the Rangers get a RHD who can move the puck in exchange for Kreider? A guy who isn't quite proven, but has the potential to be a 3/4 guy to build around?

I have a lot more faith in Miller giving us what Kreider does, or even his upside, than I do in one of defenders in the system right now turning into an effective offensive weapon from the back end.

I think Miller's year last year was an aberration. I think his goal totals come back down a bit this year. I think we'd be foolish to pay him based on last season.

I'd bridge Hayes, lock up Kreider, and trade Miller.

(silverfish hates Miller!)

JT Miller's individual fenwick shooting percentage from 2012-2015 was 5.38%.

JT Miller's individual fenwick shooting percentage last season was 11.18%.

Of the 270 forwards who appeared in 1000 minutes on ice between 2012-2014 and 500 minutes on ice last season, that 107.81% increase in shooting efficiency was the 6th highest. Clutterbuck, DSP, Zack Smith, Hansen, and Jagr ahead of him. They are also the only 6 players over 100%

7th place? Tanner Glass :biglaugh: 96.6% increase. 2.35 to 4.62 :laugh:

That is discouraging.

Biggest downswing was Getzlaf. Jeez. That guy could not put the puck in the net 5v5 last season. 2.25% last year, 10.15% from 12-15. Big year for Getzlaf incoming? BRB, trading for Getzlaf in my keeper league.

Similar study. There were 11 players who increased their iFSh% 100% or more from 11-14, to 14-15. Gomez, Bouma, Tootoo, Bernier, Desjardins, Dubinsky, Comeau, Beagle, Winnik, Sheppared, and Downie.

Of that list, 6 played over 500 minutes 5v5 in 15-16. Tootoo, Desjardins, Dubinsky, Comeau, Beagle, Winnik.

All 6 players saw a decrease in their iFSh% in 15-16 versus their insane 14-15 numbers.

Tootoo: -81.8%
Desjardins: -38%
Dubinsky: -33%
Comeau: -50%
Beagle: -15.8%
Winnik: -31.7%

Miller recorded 152 individual unblocked shot attempts last season. He scored on 17 of those (11.18%). If Miller's iFSh% drops 33% next season, which doesn't seem like such an outrageous thing to expect, to 7.45%, and he shoots at the same rate, he'll score 11 goals.

So. Maybe I'm a piece of ****. Maybe I blindly hate Miller. Or maybe, I want to see him prove last season wasn't an outlier before I give him a four year deal.

KreiderHouseRules*

Yes.

No, he's not a top pairing defensemen. He's an excellent 2nd pairing defender who is tremendous with the puck on his stick, and well below average without it. I don't need to specify a proposal to realize your "Oh we have so many top-pairing RHD's" response was non-sensical, or to realize you're scrambling to move the goal-posts because you realize that now.

Lol, what?

I'm still waiting for you to name me a single defenseman with consecutive 50-point seasons that isn't a "top pairing RD?"

Or is this the same type of semantic argument that Malkin isn't a 1C because he plays on the second line?

Shattenkirk isn't a "top-pairing defender" because he plays behind Pietrangelo on the right side?

And Dan Girardi IS a "top-pairing defender" because he played with McDonagh all this time?

Is that really how you're labeling players?

I don't mean to start a whole thing; I just don't get why you'd be so adamantly against a player who is clearly an upgrade over anything we have at the position, finished in the top-15 defenseman in the entire league in scoring two years in a row, and is (rightfully so) about to command the type of contract that top-pair 50-point RDs get.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I was listening to the NHL Sirius XM channel maybe 20 minutes ago and Bill Watters (i don't know who is he personally but) said that he liked the Subban-Weber trade for the Canadiens and said that Subban was "addition by subtraction" for Montreal...

Apparently trading a Norris winning, top 10 Dman in his prime for a declining, overpaid, average defender at best who is signed till he's 40 was the best move Montreal could have made.

Like what the hell, how could anyone think that

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Sorry SF, I take Miller over Kreider. Kreider has been in the NHL exactly what he was in the lower level leagues. Flashes of brilliance, followed by long periods of invisibility. I'd trade Kreider if it brought back a nice return.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Its July 5th and we still have little clue in terms of what direction the team is heading.The depth signings on the 1st were OK, but do not provide any insight into an organizational mindset. Is there one? Right this moment, the roster is frighteningly similar to the one that got smoked last spring. There still plenty of summer left, but I'd like to see some sort of dynamic move that tips the mindset to where management wants to take this team over the next few years.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I was listening to the NHL Sirius XM channel maybe 20 minutes ago and Bill Watters (i don't know who is he personally but) said that he liked the Subban-Weber trade for the Canadiens and said that Subban was "addition by subtraction" for Montreal...

Apparently trading a Norris winning, top 10 Dman in his prime for a declining, overpaid, average defender at best who is signed till he's 40 was the best move Montreal could have made.

If you've never been in a team locker room (at any level, really) with a me-first ********, I dont expect you to understand.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Acting cocky doesn't make you right.

Still waiting for you to name me a single defenseman with consecutive 50-point seasons that isn't a "top pairing RD?"

Or is this the same type of semantic argument that Malkin isn't a 1C because he plays on the second line?

Shattenkirk isn't a "top-pairing defender" because he plays behind Pietrangelo on the right side?

And Dan Girardi IS a "top-pairing defender" because he played with McDonagh all this time?

Is that really how you're labeling players?

I don't mean to start a whole thing; I just don't get why you'd be so adamantly against a player who is clearly an upgrade over anything we have at the position, finished in the top-15 defenseman in the entire league in scoring two years in a row, and is (rightfully so) about to command the type of contract that top-pair 50-point RDs get.

Are you familiar with the term "straw man" by chance? All I've said was that I don't think he's a top pairing defensemen, and you've now gone as far as to say I'm just labeling players based on arbitrary ideas and how much ice-time they get. I never said I was against Barrie, or that he's a terrible player, or that he wouldn't improve the team. Yet you've decided that's basically my opinion in a nut shell.

Calling me cocky doesn't mean I'm going to write out a lengthy post to defend a stance that I never even took.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If you've never been in a team locker room (at any level, really) with a me-first ********, I dont expect you to understand.

LOL so because I've never been in a locker room, I won't understand....

This is a good joke, almost as good as saying people that have never played the game can't understand certain things

Get off your high horse

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I think Miller's year last year was an aberration. I think his goal totals come back down a bit this year. I think we'd be foolish to pay him based on last season.

You think Miller topped out last season? I don't buy it.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I can't wait for Nash to be traded just so I don't have to see these Nash for ****-offers. If Shattenkirk wants to play for us, he can show that by signing for us next year as a free agent.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Thanks BBKers. Appreciate the info.

I totally understand dealing Kreider because of fearing how extending him long term works out.

It all depends on the return. But for me to not be furious it would have to be pretty substantial. How long has it taken for the NYR to develop a homegrown power forward? Why are they cutting bait on young players while riding vets into the dirt? Not just Staal/G/Nash but the NEXT Staal/G/Nash...

Not enough time to address all posts now.
this one, however, I will.

Whether you keep Kreider (of course) or trade him (hell no) his value is enhanced by having a long term deal at a reasonable #. Doing the max 8 yrs Rangers alone can extend would help minimize average annual salary vs cap.

Start Kreider REASONABLE lowest # and then add something like .4m or so every year. Perhaps 3.3m ish to start end 6.5ish. It will work out to round 4.5, roughly.

If CK fulfills his potential, that is fair to bargain to pay for him.
If we wanna unload, that ups his trade value.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
You think Miller topped out last season? I don't buy it.

Hope you're right. Millers' iFSh% was 6th in the league last year among forwards with 1000 minutes at 5v5. I don't see a way that he keeps that up.

But yeah, definitely hope you're right.

Sure you would. Ekblad. Barkov. Huberdeau. Where did they come from?

Yes, sucking for a few years and building through top-5 picks is one way to build a franchise. It is not the only way.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Bill Watters is completely irrelevant. He is a former Leafs AGM. He annoys me to no end. I used to travel for work every week. Sometimes that would include 5-7 hours drives to my destination so I made sure I always had XM radio with me to listen to NHL radio. It is no coincidence that some of the worst drives I had were when they brought Bill Watters on the radio and I had to listen to him drone on with his outdated views of the NHL for what felt like a ****ing eternity.

He said something similar on Friday about Weber/Subban when I was on my way home from work. It sounds as moronic today as the first time I heard it out of his pre-historic yapper.

Why shouldn't you take him seriously?

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/2/17/11032136/bill-watters-needs-to-be-put-out-to-pasture

He famously commented on how Kadri looked invisible from a game the leafs were playing in. Why is that such a big deal you may wonder? Kadri didn't suit up for the game.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
C'mon, BRB. I've been in that situation and I get it, but there's no proof he acted that way at all other than third party soundbytes and op-ed's.

That's only if you don't consider the fact that the Canadiens made the trade as proof. You think they make that move for hockey reasons if there was nothing extra curricular going on?

I love Subban and his attitude. I think the trade is dumb. But the fact that they went ahead and did it is proof enough for me that plenty of **** went down.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

It was his first full season where he was given a steady role, so naturally his adjusted stats are going to look like an aberration. I'm not saying I'd give him a huge deal or anything, but I think he's right in line to give us much of what we all hope Kreider will give us on a consistent basis.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Not enough time to address all posts now.
this one, however, I will.

Whether you keep Kreider (of course) or trade him (hell no) his value is enhanced by having a long term deal at a reasonable #. Doing the max 8 yrs Rangers alone can extend would help minimize average annual salary vs cap.

Start Kreider REASONABLE lowest # and then add something like .4m or so every year. Perhaps 3.3m ish to start end 6.5ish. It will work out to round 4.5, roughly.

If CK fulfills his potential, that is fair to bargain to pay for him.
If we wanna unload, that ups his trade value.

If he doesn't fill his potential, you will be paying him more than he is worth and it will be tough to unload him. You are signing him to a contract and paying him a bit more for what you hope he can become. That is what they will ask for anyway. This isn't as foolproof as you make it out to be. On the contrary, it is quite foolish.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I'd lock up Kreider long term. At worst he's been a 1st line LW, and that's with some potential upside there. You aren't going to improve on him much for the price he will cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad