Post-Game Talk: F*** Vegas 6 Second place Jets 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I don't know how to describe this game. I thought Scheifele was really good. Both ends of the ice. I thought Lowry's line brought a lot of momentum to the team. I thought the 4th line played well, Stenlund made a good impression.

I thought Dillon and Pionk were pretty bad, in giving up space. Dillon had a lot of pucks get behind him, with poor support. On the 2-1 goal there was no reason for both defensemen to be above the circles in a late period situation.

The penalty Pionk took was frustrating. I thought Samberg made it worse by doing a pirouette at centre ice when he was in good position, but geez no reason in a late game to let Phil Kessel get behind you. The Knights seemed to have a game plan to get the pucks behind the defense all night, and it worked alot. It's unfortunate that the Jets never got their pairings synchronized after a long 3rd period shift by Dillon where the forwards continually failed to get the pucks in deep.

Special teams lose the game in the 3rd. I didn't understand why Schmidt got the back half shift on the first PK of the game, and made a good block on Marchessault too, but then late in the game he gets benched for Pionk, who was in no man's land on that tying goal. Another one where Samberg misplayed the situation to exarcerbate it, but I'm going to say in a key PK Pionk would probably be my 6th choice of d-men, and I'm a Pionk fan.

I think Barron probably overplayed the last PK, which gave up a grade A chance, but with young players they aren't going to make the right play every time in every situation. That's the hard learning curve.

Hellebuyck could have bailed out his team tonight, but he didn't make the big save, unfortunately.

It's disappointing because that's a chance to make a statement against a top team, that was missing their best player, and two best d-men, and the Jets couldn't get it done.

Jets need the final game of the homestand, hope the sting of this one gives the team motivation.
Really nice analysis - agree completely

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Possible preview of next May. Hate to say it but Vegas probably beats the jets in a series right now. Jets have too many leaks.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Do you have the flu too? Because this is possibly the most half hearted attempt at nicknames I've seen from you... and that's saying a lot

You're demoted to the third line.
But reinstated to Twitter :sarcasm:

Possible preview of next May. Hate to say it but Vegas probably beats the jets in a series right now. Jets have too many leaks.
I think we beat them if fully healthy.

Yeah it has been pretty brutal lately with sickness in this city lately.
Yep and whatever it is , it's a stubborn one as it hangs on for a few weeks.

• Haha
Reactions: ps241 and Jets 31

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
That was a game they should've won. They controlled play most of the game but made a few costly mistakes: a bad goal given up by Hellebuyck (the first one), a few too many odd man rushes and some unnecessary penalties.

I don't know how Bowness didn't adjust the forechecking scheme after the first period though. How many breakaways did he want to give up? Especially on controlled breakouts where Vegas had time to set up behind their net, forechecking that aggressively was stupid.

Not specific to last night, but I can't wait until Pionk and Schmidt are no longer on the team. Neither of them has any clue what they're doing in the defensive zone.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Kinda tough to rant about any player not knowing if they are sick or not. For all we know maybe even Helly is under the weather too . Hopefully the players get through this fast. What did the Dude win for predicting Scheifele with a Hatty? :naughty: With @sipowicz help mind you.:laugh:

You get the admiration of the entire HFJets board, so nothing...:laugh:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
We had more of the play than Vegas and probably win that game 6 times out of 10.

Helle was not his usual sharp self, let in one softy. Team starting the first intermission a couple seconds early was a gift for Vegas. The nail in the coffin, two stupid penalties in the third when we were pinning them in and taking over the play. Did I put enough emphasis on Stupid?

Not a fun way to lose a game we should have won. Learn from it please.

Gotta admit, it was a really entertaining game.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah it has been pretty brutal lately with sickness in this city lately.

My kids hockey team and his buddy's different hockey team as an example I have never seen teams as ravaged by illness for the past 3 weeks.

There are "excuses:" which I am not a big fan of and a recurring example is the refs f***ed us, but then there are reasons and that is a different topic.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I also hate vegas it just seems that they were gifted a good team and obviously the location attracts players but this also showed the Jets are not yet the contenders people started saying they were.
sorry just hate personally this notion

this was their line up basically to start their 1st year... with a tandem of fleury, lagace and subban in net. and hunt spelling in for theodore b/c of waivers

1671029884123.png

theodore, tuch were largely unproven youngsters at the time. no one had them as a cup team, or even close to a PO team based on their roster. they over performed, which is hardly being gifted a great team. they were projected to be a bottom-feeder by many publications.

to you point on the Jets...they have beaten Col (2x), Dallas (2x), Carolina and Seattle. that's 4 top-10 teams where they have 6 of their wins on. it was a close game last night albeit with Vegas under-manned. it's ok to give the Jets some respect.

Last edited:

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
For such a veteran D corps they make a lot of mistakes. That could be a problem as it keeps getting tougher as we go along.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
My kids hockey team and his buddy's different hockey team as an example I have never seen teams as ravaged by illness for the past 3 weeks.

There are "excuses:" which I am not a big fan of and a recurring example is the refs f***ed us, but then there are reasons and that is a different topic.
I suppose the Jets were lucky that if the team comes down with the runs at least it was at home.

Reactions: ps241

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
You know, if the NHL wants us to make "predictions" they have to give us this "sick" info before the game starts.
I'm out 3 points tonight.

This is the one thing that I expected to change with NHL going all in on betting. I'd have expected more transparency on player health if you want people to money on these things.

Yet it seems we still have the old cryptic injury info across the league with "day-to-day" injuries turning into a player being out for months. This just seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I don't bet but if I followed the bookmakers odds last night and put some money on the Jets and then learned that a bunch of guys were sick and on IVs I'd be absolutely pissed, that info would have changed people's bets on that game.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Need a win to forget the pain of this game. My feed skipped the face off that led to Wheelers delay of game penalty. One second we’re about to take a face off and then it glitches to a replay of Wheeler flipping the puck out of our d zone into the crowd.

Kessel getting behind our guys to cause Pionk to take a penalty sucked. I know they had a player that was a speed demon but old man Phil didn’t look that fast. After giving up multiple breakaways there’s no way we should have been
In that position again.

Just need to win the next couple to get our MOJO back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad